Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone purchased wheels direct from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So supposedly I have an order on the books for aero wheels, caps, and TPMS but it's been 4+ weeks already and I haven't heard anything from Tesla.

I was told the aero caps and TPMS were in stock at the Spokane, WA service center but that the wheels were not and I would get a text message when they came in. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this one of those things you need to call Tesla about every 3 or 4 days until something clicks with them that I'm not going to just forget that I ordered? Or do wheels really take weeks and weeks to ship from whatever factory to the service centers?

Does anyone know if Spokane has an actual phone now? (before it routed me to Seattle area stores and I was told Spokane Service Center didn't have a phone yet...) Or an email of any of the service tech's in Spokane that I could check in with weekly?

No phone? What business today is setup and opened BEFORE phones are setup?!

To be fair, I think Tesla owners started driving by every couple days to check it out (like we do with superchargers) and stopped one day before Tesla even announced it was open and had a mobile ranger do some work on their car at the location... I think after that the rangers started just saying to swing by there vs them go out and meet people and it kinda snowballed into “we’re open.”

There are so many Model 3 owners who buy a car with 18” wheels and then immediately swap them out for something else that there is virtually always a good deal to be had on very lightly used OEM wheels/tires. I bought a set of four with 1,000 miles on them in otherwise perfect condition for $600. There is no way I would pay Tesla $2,000 for them.

I bought some. Ordered one day. Picked up the next. Wheels, center caps and TPMS. Added my own tires from another source. Communication wasn’t great but it worked out as intended. Good luck.

Last year around December, I put in a service appointment thru my phone. Said I would need rims + TPMS and that i'd be bringing my own rubber (ICEx3 michelin, my snow tire of choice). Previous years, I'd been told that they would not install non-tesla sold rubber when I asked in person... So I figured I'd try guilt tripping them if they let the service request go thru and I got there and they didn't want to do it (backup plan was to point out that their winter tire package was out of stock for months).

No issues whatsoever. I got there, they said "I see you brought your own tires and we're mounting them on new wheels for you. Do you want to wait while we do it?"

I could have gone to a tire store or wherever... but I don't like the confrontational aspect of having a non tesla store jack up the car. "Do you know how to jack up this car?" "no really... you can't mess this up. Are you sure? " I'd sooner just pay the extra to have it done by Tesla. Bonus that I don't have to worry about them telling me I need a new catalytic converter or muffler bearings...

There are so many Model 3 owners who buy a car with 18” wheels and then immediately swap them out for something else that there is virtually always a good deal to be had on very lightly used OEM wheels/tires. I bought a set of four with 1,000 miles on them in otherwise perfect condition for $600. There is no way I would pay Tesla $2,000 for them.

But no one will ship them, and the guys that will ship are $1,000 + cost of shipping. Well $1200 or more basically gets me a set direct from Tesla without a single mark on them. (Aero wheel, $220, Cap, $30, TPMS, $75, total/wheel $325, total for a set, $1300). Saving $100 isn't worth it to me when they're coming across the US and might have a couple marks on them etc etc etc. Now yes I would probably have a second set of all season tires that I could store for three or four years and then use, but I'm not sure I want to store tires.

I've checked around locally and can't find any and even Seattle market doesn't seem to have many options.

The Spokane Tesla service center doesn't have any aero wheels, but the rest of the stuff is in stock. I called a Seattle service center yesterday and they have two wheels, but both were already spoken for by other customers. Pacific Northwest must not get near the supply that the rest of the US gets...

Last year around December, I put in a service appointment thru my phone. Said I would need rims + TPMS and that i'd be bringing my own rubber (ICEx3 michelin, my snow tire of choice). Previous years, I'd been told that they would not install non-tesla sold rubber when I asked in person... So I figured I'd try guilt tripping them if they let the service request go thru and I got there and they didn't want to do it (backup plan was to point out that their winter tire package was out of stock for months).

No issues whatsoever. I got there, they said "I see you brought your own tires and we're mounting them on new wheels for you. Do you want to wait while we do it?"

I could have gone to a tire store or wherever... but I don't like the confrontational aspect of having a non tesla store jack up the car. "Do you know how to jack up this car?" "no really... you can't mess this up. Are you sure? " I'd sooner just pay the extra to have it done by Tesla. Bonus that I don't have to worry about them telling me I need a new catalytic converter or muffler bearings...

I wasn't even going to see if they would put them on my car. I was just going to take the wheels and tires down and have them mount them and then switch the wheels out at home on the weekend or something.

But no one will ship them, and the guys that will ship are $1,000 + cost of shipping. Well $1200 or more basically gets me a set direct from Tesla without a single mark on them. (Aero wheel, $220, Cap, $30, TPMS, $75, total/wheel $325, total for a set, $1300). Saving $100 isn't worth it to me when they're coming across the US and might have a couple marks on them etc etc etc. Now yes I would probably have a second set of all season tires that I could store for three or four years and then use, but I'm not sure I want to store tires.

I've checked around locally and can't find any and even Seattle market doesn't seem to have many options.

The Spokane Tesla service center doesn't have any aero wheels, but the rest of the stuff is in stock. I called a Seattle service center yesterday and they have two wheels, but both were already spoken for by other customers. Pacific Northwest must not get near the supply that the rest of the US gets...

Yup, I was speaking in the general Southern California area where there are a lot of Teslas but if you can’t find any in your local market then you may have to buy them from Tesla. Have you checked Craigslist for your local market to see if any are for sale?