Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone really used a 12V pump to fill tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you going to carry a jack and lug wrench with you or can you use this tire repair kit with the tire still on the car ?

No Jack or Lug wrench since I haven’t received the jack pads I ordered. should be able to find the nail/screw by rolling the tire forward and then plugging it with the kit. Not looking for a flat tire but if it happens I will film it.

Fred

I have a JACO air compressor with digital readout and auto shut off:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VXWZ9O

Its incredibly fast to pump air in my 3 and the auto shut off is nice.

I bought this one when I knew I would be trading my Volt, which came with a pump, for a Tesla, that did not.

I set it for 45 lbs and turn it on. Works great and the light comes in handy as well.

Actually the correct statement is The Model 3 has no fuses that are user replaceable.
The 12V lighter socket is fused, it is a software fuse, it can be blown, ask me how I know. It will reset on it's own but is not quick about it.

Oh stop it.

You know what I meant.

no one ever wants to be wrong anymore.

There are no fuses that exist in 99% of all other cars.

Geeesshhh...

I own this pump and have been using it on my last three ICE cars: Michelin 12V Deluxe Inflator | Canadian Tire

When I try it with the cigarette lighter in my TM3, it would power on but will not pump. Does anyone know why? It is a 12v pump from the product page.

Also I noticed, the PSI displayed on the pump keeps on jumping.. like its broken. For example, on one tire the TM3 screen shows 38 psi but my pump jump from 38 psi to 70 psi and back down to 58 psi. Not sure if its fighting with the TPMS or what. Just want to ask before I invest into a new pump since this was one working fine (before my TM3 purchase in June)

My Viair 70P works well when powered off of the 3's 12V outlet. The 70P is spec'ed for 15A max, but I haven't run into any issues. I'm guessing it's because electrical specs are usually fairly conservative. It's a great inflator and I'd recommend it.

I own this pump and have been using it on my last three ICE cars: Michelin 12V Deluxe Inflator | Canadian Tire

When I try it with the cigarette lighter in my TM3, it would power on but will not pump. Does anyone know why? It is a 12v pump from the product page.

Also I noticed, the PSI displayed on the pump keeps on jumping.. like its broken. For example, on one tire the TM3 screen shows 38 psi but my pump jump from 38 psi to 70 psi and back down to 58 psi. Not sure if its fighting with the TPMS or what. Just want to ask before I invest into a new pump since this was one working fine (before my TM3 purchase in June)

TPMS is just a sensor, it can not fight the pump or cause it to display higher than the pressure that is there. I think the pump is toast.

I've used this one from Harbor Freight in all my cars for years:
12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

It works fine with the cigarette lighter / 12V accessory plug in the Model 3. I had a tire get down to 35 PSI from a nail puncture and inflated it back up to 45 PSI over about 2-3 minutes without any issues. I kept it running and used it to top off the other tires right afterward, all which had gotten down to around 38-39 PSI and there were no issues. It was probably on for about 10 minutes continuously.

This is what i have and end up using 3-4 times a year during season change to pump all 4 tires. Gauge on it is worthless, so i bought cheap Amazon tire gauge which gives me exact tire pressure that Tesla shows. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1H5BZP

Either the pump is no good now or is it pushed on all the way then seated down on the valve.

My Viair 70P works well when powered off of the 3's 12V outlet. The 70P is spec'ed for 15A max, but I haven't run into any issues. I'm guessing it's because electrical specs are usually fairly conservative. It's a great inflator and I'd recommend it.

TPMS is just a sensor, it can not fight the pump or cause it to display higher than the pressure that is there. I think the pump is toast.

Thank you guys. I purchased the 70P and it just arrived. I was able to use it from the cabin 12v port. My original pump is definitely done

Reactions: David L
I must be definitely doing something wrong. The first one I bought is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G96ZC5X
After plugging in and connecting the hose to the tire, I turned it on, it would come on for a micro second and then turn on. My tire was at 42 PSI, so I figured this one couldn't handle that.
Ordered a 2nd one, recommended on this thread, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VXWZ9O
Same exact behavior. Turns on for a micro second but then turns off.

Now I have ordered the VIAIR one used by others and see what happens.

Question for those that have gotten these to work, since there is no turning the car "on", what is the process? When I tried, car was parked in garage and I opened the door to wake the car up and the 12V port was powered on. Did not do anything else? Am I supposed to be doing something additional?

Thanks!