Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received a refund for the $250 place holder Tag Registration fee in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car in September I asked the associate to correct the $250 registration on the invoice to the actual amount charged by the state. She told me that they had too many deliveries going on at that time and could not change it but not to worry it is just an estimated amount and any over payment would be refunded when they send the fee to the state. I accepted this as I have had excess fees refunded in the past when purchasing new cars and this seems to be the industry standard way of processing the paperwork before the actual amount is known.

I called Tesla Friday and they don't have a record of the refund or the actual registration amount paid to the state. They said I need to contact the dealer where I picked up the car. They transferred me to the Coral Gables dealer local phone but no one answered and I left a message and have not had a reply.

Has anyone received a refund for the difference or has Tesla been keeping it?

When I picked up my car in September I asked the associate to correct the $250 registration on the invoice to the actual amount charged by the state. She told me that they had too many deliveries going on at that time and could not change it but not to worry it is just an estimated amount and any over payment would be refunded when they send the fee to the state. I accepted this as I have had excess fees refunded in the past when purchasing new cars and this seems to be the industry standard way of processing the paperwork before the actual amount is known.

I called Tesla Friday and they don't have a record of the refund or the actual registration amount paid to the state. They said I need to contact the dealer where I picked up the car. They transferred me to the Coral Gables dealer local phone but no one answered and I left a message and have not had a reply.

Has anyone received a refund for the difference or has Tesla been keeping it?
I pickup tomorrow will ask the same!

When I purchased our Model Y in June of 2020 - it was much the same (Tampa delivery) and it was the last day of the month/quarter.
We were actually transferring the tag but the $250 was there, I asked and they said it would be refunded.
It wasn't much so I forgot about it, and we received a check from Tesla in mid November of 2020 for the difference.
It all sorts out, but it takes a while.

When I bought my first M3LR back in April of 2019, it took almost 2 months for the check to arrive. Just picked up my second a few weeks ago and have a Y on the way, I'm expecting about the same if not longer to receive the reimbursement this time with the volume of cars they are moving these days.