Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received a replacement 14-50 in the mail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just keep your old adapter with you as a spare in case that ever happens.

I have not received the new adapter yet, but did get a letter from Tesla saying that it's coming. In the letter, they say you HAVE TO RETURN the old adapter to them in the box that the new one comes in. Question: How is this not a recall? When Toyota replaced carpet mats due to the accelerator pedal interference issue, I'm pretty sure they called that a recall. Is it just that Tesla doesn't want to use the "R" word?

I have not received the new adapter yet, but did get a letter from Tesla saying that it's coming. In the letter, they say you HAVE TO RETURN the old adapter to them in the box that the new one comes in. Question: How is this not a recall? When Toyota replaced carpet mats due to the accelerator pedal interference issue, I'm pretty sure they called that a recall. Is it just that Tesla doesn't want to use the "R" word?

Very likely. Their calling it a recall here in the US, though, probably because they have to for some reason.

It is a recall... Officially listed on NHTSA site and identified on the letter to the US owners. The link to the recall info on NHTSA's site is below. Does Transport Canada have a similar site?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=7dmnTh4GDYLTM1JhTG2wjCH4Bn34MtvJGvp7X6vw1wzlmvflpL1t!-1635534025

It is a recall... Officially listed on NHTSA site and identified on the letter to the US owners. The link to the recall info on NHTSA's site is below. Does Transport Canada have a similar site?

My letter called it something like a "vehicle advisory" or some such thing.

I checked and yes, it is listed on the Transport Canada web site's recall list, but in the notes says: "This notice is provided for information purposes only as the subject equipment is not regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act". Maybe that's the difference.

Got mine today via FedEx, I am going to keep the old one as well. I carry a spare UMC with me at all times, alon with my other adapters. I am going thurrolly label it and out it in the bag with my spare UMC, so at least I will always have one in emergencies. also never had issue with mine.

Got mine Saturday via FedEx. Tesla wisely understood that I have two UMCs, and sent me two replacement adapters. Unfortunately I have yet to use 14-50, only have 6-50 plugs at my house. I will be sending the old ones back, as they are not useful for me.

As an aside, I would like to be using these new versions with the thermal safety fuse. My house wiring would not support a 14-50 plug wired to code. My main breaker box does not distinguish between ground and neutral. Has anybody just jumped the ground and neutral together to make it operate like the 6-50? I understand that the Tesla does not utilize the neutral pin, and I am leery about having non-code connections at the house. The ground wire on my 6-50 connections is insulated and runs all the way back to the main breaker panel. Would it be safer just to stick with the 6-50 adapter (without thermal fuse) or change my outlets to 14-50 and tie the ground to neutral or just leave neutral disconnected? Or can I run another ground wire to my main panel, even though my main panel does not have a separate neutral and ground bar?

Got mine Saturday via FedEx. Tesla wisely understood that I have two UMCs, and sent me two replacement adapters. Unfortunately I have yet to use 14-50, only have 6-50 plugs at my house. I will be sending the old ones back, as they are not useful for me.

As an aside, I would like to be using these new versions with the thermal safety fuse. My house wiring would not support a 14-50 plug wired to code. My main breaker box does not distinguish between ground and neutral. Has anybody just jumped the ground and neutral together to make it operate like the 6-50? I understand that the Tesla does not utilize the neutral pin, and I am leery about having non-code connections at the house. The ground wire on my 6-50 connections is insulated and runs all the way back to the main breaker panel. Would it be safer just to stick with the 6-50 adapter (without thermal fuse) or change my outlets to 14-50 and tie the ground to neutral or just leave neutral disconnected? Or can I run another ground wire to my main panel, even though my main panel does not have a separate neutral and ground bar?

It's normal for the main panel to not distinguish between ground and neutral. That's the one and only place ground and neutral can and should be tied together. The right way is to run a separate neutral wire back to the panel. Whatever you do, don't tie ground and neutral together at the outlet. It will work for the UMC to just not connect the neutral pin, but that's not legal, and could cause problem if someone plugs something else in.

Has anyone else had issues pulling their old NEMA 14-50 adapters off of their mobile chargers? I don't remember it being difficult to swap the adapters out when I first got the car (back in November) but after that, I plugged it into the garage outlet and never looked at it again until today. I got the new adapter today and tugged on the old one pretty hard (while pushing down that button) and it's not coming off at all. I'm almost to the point of taking a flat edge screwdriver to it to pry it off (though this is probably a bad idea). Am I missing something on this one or do I need to bring it in for service?

Has anyone else had issues pulling their old NEMA 14-50 adapters off of their mobile chargers? I don't remember it being difficult to swap the adapters out when I first got the car (back in November) but after that, I plugged it into the garage outlet and never looked at it again until today. I got the new adapter today and tugged on the old one pretty hard (while pushing down that button) and it's not coming off at all. I'm almost to the point of taking a flat edge screwdriver to it to pry it off (though this is probably a bad idea). Am I missing something on this one or do I need to bring it in for service?
Sounds like it got hot and melted together.

It's normal for the main panel to not distinguish between ground and neutral. That's the one and only place ground and neutral can and should be tied together. The right way is to run a separate neutral wire back to the panel. Whatever you do, don't tie ground and neutral together at the outlet. It will work for the UMC to just not connect the neutral pin, but that's not legal, and could cause problem if someone plugs something else in.

OK, so just need to run an additional conductor for neutral and tie to the ground bar in the main panel. I wonder if this applies for my sub-panel in my outdoor garage as well. It has only 3 conductors coming from the main panel (2 hots and a ground/neutral). Would adding a ground rod in the earth, connected to the neutral/ground bar in the sub panel be required or rather an option? Or is my only option pulling another separate conductor all the way back to the main panel in the house (pretty much non-doable)?

OK, so just need to run an additional conductor for neutral and tie to the ground bar in the main panel. I wonder if this applies for my sub-panel in my outdoor garage as well. It has only 3 conductors coming from the main panel (2 hots and a ground/neutral). Would adding a ground rod in the earth, connected to the neutral/ground bar in the sub panel be required or rather an option? Or is my only option pulling another separate conductor all the way back to the main panel in the house (pretty much non-doable)?

Yes, additional (separate) conductor in the same raceway can tie to the neutral bus in the main panel. If this is the service panel, then the neutral bus will be bonded to ground with a giant green screw in the cabinet. EDIT: even when you have a brand new home built today, you should still separate grounds and neutrals in the service panel, and use the green screw to bond them together -- reason you want to do this is in case you add a whole-house generator later, as an automatic transfer switch usually becomes your bonded service panel, and then you have to re-route all those wires in your service panel to separate them. Better to keep them properly segregated to make life easier later.

For your outdoor shed: code changed in the 2005 cycle and again in the 2008 cycle. Prior to 2005, 3-wire feeds were permitted and neutral/ground could be bonded in detached building subpanels. 2005 allowed new detached buildings to use 3-wire feeds (bonded ground and neutral) ONLY if there are no additional metallic paths between the buildings (no cable TV wires, no telephone wires, no metal conduit). NEC 2008 eliminated this exemption and since its adoption, you must use a 4-wire feed for subpanels, regardless of conditions. Your building needs to conform to the code cycle in effect when the feeder was run (my 2008-built garage, for example, was built during the 2005 code cycle and uses a 3-wire feed, that's legal but I couldn't build it that way today).

All detached buildings or structures require a grounding electrode (or 2, see NEC 250.32 and 250.53(A)(2)). In many cases, it's already integrated with the concrete re-bar for a poured concrete floor, but sometimes you must drive a copper rod.

The reason for separation of grounds and neutrals is for safety reasons in case of a failure. I have a few posts on here that describes these failure scenarios (a garage with a broken neutral but bonded to ground and earth can return current through the earth or through an old, bonded appliance and create some really weird effects and/or shocks).

Last edited:
Got mine today. Plugged it in and the UMC's connector has about a 1/16" play when pulling and pushing against the new adapter (UMC plug's lock is engaged). The old adapter attached to the UMC connect nice and tight.

Anyone else have the same? Any problems?

Did a charge set at 35A, UMC cord temperature is about same as the previous connector so I'm guessing its fine.

Last edited: