Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received any recent updates over CELLULAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all. I'm still on 2018.39.7.1 (since early November) and always receive my updates over cellular connection - connecting the car to wifi for any appreciable length of time is just not an option. My cell signal at home is also pretty bad, although the car spends plenty of time parked in areas with better signal (this is when I've usually gotten updates in the past...) My updates always come after everyone else, and I don't normally care very much when or if they come in, but it's never been THIS long without one - and my key fob has now shipped out and I believe I need at least 42.x to use it.

So have cellular updates stopped? Has ANYONE received an update higher than 39.7 without using wifi? If I have to start making service appointments just to get updates that will suck, but at least I'll know...

I have a similar issue. I eventually went in for service and am now on 44.2; but the tech said there was no reason I shouldn’t be getting updates.

I haven’t received any notifications for 46 or 48 though and it’s been a week or so

Still on 28.1 (!). My WiFi is pretty weak in my driveway so about the only way for me to update is via LTE. Last (and only) update since getting the car in early July was around the end of July. Had taken the car in for servicing a month ago and specifically asked them NOT to update. I don't need the latest stuff and the car has been working great so far.

Title says it all. I'm still on 2018.39.7.1 (since early November) and always receive my updates over cellular connection - connecting the car to wifi for any appreciable length of time is just not an option. My cell signal at home is also pretty bad, although the car spends plenty of time parked in areas with better signal (this is when I've usually gotten updates in the past...) My updates always come after everyone else, and I don't normally care very much when or if they come in, but it's never been THIS long without one - and my key fob has now shipped out and I believe I need at least 42.x to use it.

So have cellular updates stopped? Has ANYONE received an update higher than 39.7 without using wifi? If I have to start making service appointments just to get updates that will suck, but at least I'll know...
Call Desks and they will be able to tell you if there are updates waiting to be downloaded.
It may be due to a map update that due to the large file only gets downloaded via Wi-Fi.
It happened to me that due to my weak home wifi the map update needed before getting navigate on autopilot was waiting on queue for several weeks.
Had to schedule a service appointment so they could do the map update.

• Informative
Reactions: BenR
Pull up next to an ATT store, piggyback their free WiFi and see if it starts in a couple of minutes.

Tried that a couple times - nothing happened.

I’m actually sitting right now in a parking lot in the middle of town, and brought a hotspot to see if I could get anything. Made a service appointment earlier; allegedly having an open service ticket may help in some scenarios. It’s been about 30 mins and nothing - I can give it about another hour and then that’s the best I can possibly do as far as “connecting to wifi” under normal circumstances.

Somehow it shows only 2 out of 4 bars of wifi strength, even though the hotspot is sitting on the center console six inches from the screen. o_O

FWIW, you never really know whether you received it over WIFI or cellular. The updates can be received over a period of days in segments. Then, when the whole thing has downloaded, your car displays the update alarm. Just because you are WiFi or LTE when you get the alarm doesn't mean that you downloaded over WiFi or LTE.

Tried that a couple times - nothing happened.

I’m actually sitting right now in a parking lot in the middle of town, and brought a hotspot to see if I could get anything. Made a service appointment earlier; allegedly having an open service ticket may help in some scenarios. It’s been about 30 mins and nothing - I can give it about another hour and then that’s the best I can possibly do as far as “connecting to wifi” under normal circumstances.

Somehow it shows only 2 out of 4 bars of wifi strength, even though the hotspot is sitting on the center console six inches from the screen. o_O

Just to point it out, your cars WiFi antenna is in the passenger side mirror.

Just wondering is there anything that has indicated that you are better off having your car on wifi for faster updates? I had mine on wifi in the garage but the signal was very weak so I turned it off. I haven't received an update in a long while, still on version 44.2. Should I think about putting a wifi access point in the garage to get updates faster? (ie faster in that updates over wifi come out before LTE not that wifi is faster than LTE in data throughput)

Until the most recent update, all of them have been downloaded over my home WiFi. I was notified of the latest update (2018.48.1) when I was at work, where I'm not connected to WiFi.
You have no way of knowing when or how they were downloaded. Tesla sends packets over time until you have them all. Then you get notice. Just because you got notice on Wi-Fi does not mean it was downloaded over Wi-Fi.

i'm also on 39.7.1 and i was originally getting updates every 15 days but it has been over two months. i think i'm going to drive over to the service center soon and have lunch in their parking lot to see if i can get any updates.

The techs at my SC (Nashville) said that that works; other users here have stated that you need to have an open service ticket on your vehicle to get auto-updated on SC wifi, and others still have said that it doesn't necessarily work at all. Not sure who to believe - it may vary by the SC.

I'd test it but it isn't exactly close (nearly 1 hr. from me,) so I'm just going to keep my service appointment to make sure it gets updated. I hate to take up any of their time for that - but maybe I can help deliver a couple M3s while I'm there. ;)

Reactions: MissyMcBee