Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone regretted the color the chose enough to try trading in shortly after purchasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just seems like you're going to have to pony up a lot of money just to switch colors. You WILL have to sell your current car at a loss, and repay all the taxes/registration (speaking simply from a California state). No one is going to purchase your used MYP above retail just because you want to recoup all the taxes and fees. I will never buy a used MYP for 70k. I'd rather buy a new MYP at 61k + tax + registration.
I completely understand having to sell at a loss but I'm not sure what new MYP you're buying for 61k unless you aren't getting FSD or paying destination and handling fees... It bases at 61k before any options and before destination and handling fees. Once you add FSD into the mix you're at 72-75k depending on which color you get and if you get the tow hitch.

I completely understand having to sell at a loss but I'm not sure what new MYP you're buying for 61k unless you aren't getting FSD or paying destination and handling fees... It bases at 61k before any options and before destination and handling fees. Once you add FSD into the mix you're at 72-75k depending on which color you get and if you get the tow hitch.
Right I’m just talking about base price just to keep it simple. You can add in FSD if you want, it doesn’t change much of the concept, which is you can’t factor in the taxes and fees when you’re trying to sell it as a used car at a price above retail. I mean you can, just finding that buyer is tough because like I mentioned, they’d rather buy new at that point.

Right I’m just talking about base price just to keep it simple. You can add in FSD if you want, it doesn’t change much of the concept, which is you can’t factor in the taxes and fees when you’re trying to sell it as a used car at a price above retail. I mean you can, just finding that buyer is tough because like I mentioned, they’d rather buy new at that point.
oh sure.

Couldn’t you have just wrapped it for that price? Granted, you wouldn’t get the white seats but still.
I factored in getting approved for california cvap 5k grant, 1k edison rebate, and at the time of purchase they had the 1500 clean fuel rebate. So it helped offset the price difference enough for me to take the hit. Also going from 2020 to 2021 for the minor updates.

Reactions: RedWhite19
I got a blue MY and I regret it. I wish I got red. I'm wondering if anyone has ever owned a Tesla and realized you bought the wrong color and traded in/did something to get a different color? I almost wish I could just find someone to trade with.

Anyway, if I did end up selling and rebuying, what happens to the taxes/registration I already paid? Do I have to repay it? It would never make sense to sell, even if I could get what I paid for the car, if I have to repay taxes (8k).

Almost every day I'm upset that I got the blue and not the red....

I'm often annoyed I didn't get midnight silver metallic when it's bright and sunny out...

I ended up spending $7k on full PPF and stealth would have looked fantastic on a black car and I'm kinda pissed I didn't get black

I could have saved some money and got white with the stealth ppf and 20 inch inductions because I really wish I had the inductions

Any time the car is clean and I walk to it out i the parking lot when the sun is out but not directly overhead I know for sure not a single other color is nearly as good as deep blue metallic.

Still, if they hadn't discontinued silver holy cow I would have for sure got that!

Don't do it. I changed my order like 10 times from white, to blue, to black, back again over and over and settled on Blue with white Interior. All of the colors are great! Don't be silly! And the blue looks completely different at dusk then it does in the daytime. I love how it looks at night especially.

This whole I wish my car was red and not blue or vice versa is kind of silly. There are a lot of people who would be happy to get a Tesla in dog poop brown if that’s just so the color it came in. First world problems....

Be happy you have a badass car.
Yes it's a first world problem as are all of the posts on this entire site for the most part. That doesn't diminish the fact that I am regretful of the color I chose...

Yes it's a first world problem as are all of the posts on this entire site for the most part. That doesn't diminish the fact that I am regretful of the color I chose...
Yea buddy but you shouldn’t have any regrets! Life is too short. I’m trying to show you support in that you made a great decision- regardless of which color. Was just trying to play devils advocate.

Hmmm that is still way more than I'd be willing to lose for a color change but that isn't near as bad as the trade in quotes I've gotten. Got a quote of 50k from vroom which is even worse than the 58k Tesla offered.
Tesla offered you $58K on a trade in? When was that? I have 3K mi, and the car is awesome, but too big for me. I sold my 3 to my daughter and when I stand by it, I just feel like hugging its compact little self.

I got a blue MY and I regret it. I wish I got red. I'm wondering if anyone has ever owned a Tesla and realized you bought the wrong color and traded in/did something to get a different color? I almost wish I could just find someone to trade with.

Anyway, if I did end up selling and rebuying, what happens to the taxes/registration I already paid? Do I have to repay it? It would never make sense to sell, even if I could get what I paid for the car, if I have to repay taxes (8k).
Get it wrapped - You get a much broader choice of colors (and even glossy versus matte finish). It will cost less than trading your car in. Protect the paint if you ever want to revert. Also your car can be one of a kind!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla offered you $58K on a trade in? When was that? I have 3K mi, and the car is awesome, but too big for me. I sold my 3 to my daughter and when I stand by it, I just feel like hugging its compact little self.
About 5 days ago.
Get it wrapped - You get a much broader choice of colors (and even glossy versus matte finish). It will cost less than trading your car in. Protect the paint if you ever want to revert. Also your car can be one of a kind!
That's probably what I'll end up doing in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think it helps to see the different colors in person. I was pretty dead set on getting MSM until I saw both the MSM and pearl white in person. The showroom had the white, and our test drive vehicle was gray. The white with the black wheels just looked much better than gray with black wheels. I ended up switching the configuration after seeing them both in person and couldn't be happier. I know it's a common configuration, but I'm not going to let others dictate what I want.

I think it helps to see the different colors in person. I was pretty dead set on getting MSM until I saw both the MSM and pearl white in person. The showroom had the white, and our test drive vehicle was gray. The white with the black wheels just looked much better than gray with black wheels. I ended up switching the configuration after seeing them both in person and couldn't be happier. I know it's a common configuration, but I'm not going to let others dictate what I want.
As you shouldn’t!