Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone removed the arm rest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

The latch broke on my armrest, and I haven't been able to access the console area for a few months. I finally got a new one delivered, but I have no idea how to remove the old one.

I've seen a lot of guides online that detail the removal of the center console and trim, but nothing specific to the arm rest. I am a little apprehensive blindly removing pieces of my newer, fairly expensive car. Can someone point me to a guide, or perhaps suggest an approach to getting the old arm rest swapped out?

Thanks!

@S3XY_
Pop off the rear vent + rear panel - just pull hard toward the back. it's just held on by clips.
Remove the end plate (2 bolts)

Then follow:
endplate.png

armrest removal.png

@S3XY_
Pop off the rear vent + rear panel - just pull hard toward the back. it's just held on by clips.
Remove the end plate (2 bolts)

Then follow:
View attachment 571240
View attachment 571241
I had a mobile tech come out today to replace my arm rest and I watched him remove the vent and lower panels with a pry tool. After he put it all together, I realized that I should have just asked him to leave it off bc now I want to feed my Valentine 1 cord behind there and through the armrest hinge slot for a cleaner install (and prevent the lid from crushing the wire). Anyway, I tried to pull the vent off and it won't budge and I am terrified that I will break it. As far as you know, I literally just pull it towards the rear of the car and it pops off? Pretty sure that's what the mobile tech did, but I'd like to be sure before I destroy it.

I had a mobile tech come out today to replace my arm rest and I watched him remove the vent and lower panels with a pry tool. After he put it all together, I realized that I should have just asked him to leave it off bc now I want to feed my Valentine 1 cord behind there and through the armrest hinge slot for a cleaner install (and prevent the lid from crushing the wire). Anyway, I tried to pull the vent off and it won't budge and I am terrified that I will break it. As far as you know, I literally just pull it towards the rear of the car and it pops off? Pretty sure that's what the mobile tech did, but I'd like to be sure before I destroy it.
Do you recall how much the arm rest replacement cost? Looking to get one replaced. Thanks.

Hi all!

The latch broke on my armrest, and I haven't been able to access the console area for a few months. I finally got a new one delivered, but I have no idea how to remove the old one.

I've seen a lot of guides online that detail the removal of the center console and trim, but nothing specific to the arm rest. I am a little apprehensive blindly removing pieces of my newer, fairly expensive car. Can someone point me to a guide, or perhaps suggest an approach to getting the old arm rest swapped out?

Thanks!
Where did you order the arm rest from? Thanks

Hi all!

Thanks!
Where did you order the armrest from?
Thanks

We’re you ever able to do this? And have you noticed that the armrest won’t close all the way and the interior light does not power off because it thinks it’s open?

We’re you ever able to do this? And have you noticed that the armrest won’t close all the way and the interior light does not power off because it thinks it’s open?
I just removed my armrest and noticed the light on. I don't see any switch to turn it off when the armrest is closed so I suspect it is just always on when the car is on. When I close all the doors it turns off fairly fast though.
Man I hate this bulky armrest, I may get crazy and try and cut off the bracket and make my own 1/4 inch armrest pad instead of this 8 inch beast. Granted I am 6'4 and am looking for a more comfortable sitting position.

This is an old post, for sure, however, did you have to buy the armrest in advance, or did they bring one and install it? Also, how do you get a mobile tech out? I tried going through the app but it did not appear that it was an option for me. Thanks!

This is an old post, for sure, however, did you have to buy the armrest in advance, or did they bring one and install it? Also, how do you get a mobile tech out? I tried going through the app but it did not appear that it was an option for me. Thanks!
Mine was a warranty claim so they brought it out. If you schedule service on the app, the SC will determine whether it’s mobile or you need to bring it in.

I just removed my armrest and noticed the light on. I don't see any switch to turn it off when the armrest is closed so I suspect it is just always on when the car is on. When I close all the doors it turns off fairly fast though.
Man I hate this bulky armrest, I may get crazy and try and cut off the bracket and make my own 1/4 inch armrest pad instead of this 8 inch beast. Granted I am 6'4 and am looking for a more comfortable sitting position.
Have you found a final solution? I'm also thinking about removing the armrest, but I would like something custom to cover the storage.