Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone replaced door windows? How much did it run you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something got stuck in the window seal, scratched the window as it rolled down (front passenger). Contacted a few glass shops around everyone refusing to try and buff out scratch out of tempered glass. Said I need to replace the glass.
So curious how much that would run me? I have the 2020 single pane but want to replace with double pane.

I think I remember someone here on the forums last year who replaced their single pane front windows, both driver and passenger, to the new laminated glass for around $400.

The attachment, at the bottom of the window, is different between the single and laminated glass too. Not sure if that affects the price to swap them out.

I think I remember someone here on the forums last year who replaced their single pane front windows, both driver and passenger, to the new laminated glass for around $400.

The attachment, at the bottom of the window, is different between the single and laminated glass too. Not sure if that affects the price to swap them out.
Im assuming thats $400 each?

Here is the thread from last Dec. The quote was $600 total for both front driver and front passenger windows.

There are some embedded YouTube videos in that thread showing how the window is different at the bottom.

Reactions: Chrushev
Here is the thread from last Dec. The quote was $600 total for both front driver and front passenger windows.

There are some embedded YouTube videos in that thread showing how the window is different at the bottom.
Thanks for the link.

For anyone else looking. In that video they show an invoice, states: $260 for laminated double pane and $225 for tempered single pane window (directly from Tesla). Prices not too bad, in line with other cars.

I did see different attachment points at the bottom, BUT they didnt change the shape. There is no reason they arent interchangeable. Holes and everything are all in the same place still. And to think of it, why would they change it? They have an assembly line tuned, why rework something that is working? And thickness wise from the video the double panes each pane is thinner, so overall looks like same thickness.

Last edited:
And to think of it, why would they change it? They have an assembly line tuned, why rework something that is working?
This is standard operating procedures for Tesla. They've changed so many things on the Model Y since it was first released last year...front windows, wiper blade frames, HVAC revisions, brake lights and headlights, interior trim...the list goes on...

I'm sure some of these are engineering, cost and maybe even market driven changes.