Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone replaced their 12V battery yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ScanMyTesla is able to monitor the 12V battery. Most screenshots I've taken show 15V. Surprised it's over 14V.

Attachments

• 12v_battery_Model3.jpg
    12v_battery_Model3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and EVNation
12v battery low - service immediately warning.
Mine died while my wife and I were returning from a trip. Sirius was just over 1 yr old with 30,000 miles. We were about 120 miles from home late at night on an interstate highway. My wife said "It has a 12V battery? Where is it?" I replied, I don't know. She said "Your an electrical engineer. You should know where the battery is in your car!" I slowed down and moved to the rightmost lane for maximum range. I knew the HV drive battery was good but I also knew that the bad 12V battery would put an extra drain on it . I was expecting to arrive home with 15% remaining, but I was concerned that an increased load might strand us or when we got down to 20% things might start going into low power states or the headlights might go out. It was a nerve racking 2 1/2 hours. We made it home and took him to the SC next day. They replaced the 12V battery under warranty in just a few minutes. And yes now I know where the 12V battery is and how to put in the spare that fits neatly into that small pocket on the left side of the trunk.

Reactions: KenC
Tesla replaced the 12v in my car but that was when they were upgrading the car to HW3. They left it overnight with the HV battery disconnected and it killed the 12v, so they just replaced it. It just showed up as a line item on the report.
So I got a nice new 12v as well as the FSD computer, nice :)

From reading the 12v threads on here, average replacement is 2 years with the OEM lead acid battery, I use the Ohmmu battery, 1 year 1 month and still holding strong.

.... In other words, same condition as everyone else, except with $500 less in your pocket.

After warranty expiration, I guess I understand replacing the battery - still think it's too expensive for what it is, but OK. Before that though, why?

.... In other words, same condition as everyone else, except with $500 less in your pocket.

After warranty expiration, I guess I understand replacing the battery - still think it's too expensive for what it is, but OK. Before that though, why?
Reliability, weight, longevity, not getting caught with my pants down with some faulty lead acid battery. Will check back in again at 1.5 years (Oct)...... Why not add the best component in a sweet ride.

Fred

Great post from Smatthew on explaining the role of the 12v battery in our cars with big traction batteries. More Tesla really wanted to remove the 12v subsystem in the Model Y but decided to focus on bringing out to market faster than trying to integrate new technologies/ideas.

A lot of the early 12v battery deaths were a result of the car sitting on a lot not being charged in the early 2017-2018 period before Tesla figured out all the Phantom Drain issues. So it resulted in draining the 12v pack while the cars were waiting to be sold. A thing about Lead Acid batteries is that going less than <30-40% is MUCH worse than it is on a lithium battery or nickel based battery. Fully discharging a lead acid battery will result in permanent damage and significantly reduced capacity so thats why some Model 3 owners had issues with the 12v pack early in the life.

Once Tesla solved the phantom drain and supply issues, the problem generally disappeared but I suspect a lot of people may have 12v battery issues in the June to October 2018 supply glut period where cars were having trouble being delivered to customers in a timely manner.

Now more important on the cycling issue with the battery, here was an in-depth blog that describe the stress of what Tesla does to our deep-cycle AGM lead acid packs.