Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone retrofitted motorized charge port yet?

NoMoGas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Has anyone upgraded to motorized charge port yet? Yes, it can be done but it seems like it may be a huge pain. Im just curious if it has been successfully done yet so I'm not reinventing the wheel.

The main issue seems to be mounting the required Gen II charge port. Any pictures/videos would be appreciated.

camthehombre

Jan 25, 2018
Spanish Fork, UT
Is it possible to be done? I remember reading somewhere that someone looked into it and the housing on the motorized port was bigger and that it wouldn't fit in the same space on the older, classic cars. I've never seen someone successfully make this retrofit, and I've wondered if that's why.

samppa

Feb 17, 2019
My Island Cottage
They upgraded you from a non-automatic closing to an automatic closing? That's awesome! Glad to know it's possible, and in this case, I'm glad to be wrong. :)

Yeah, exactly so. That was under cpo warranty so no cost (the non-motorized port was malfunctioning). Cost of retrofit should be sg like 750€, also needs a software update so probably not so simple to DIY.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre

Alysashley79

Oct 4, 2013
Seattle(ish) WA
Its NOT possible. I had a 13 p85 that needed the motorized port. The mechanics aren’t there. Our need was run as high up the chain as it could go before ultimately being told it could not be done. I have a newer car now with the motorized door and don’t see how it actually would be feasible. They’re different sizes.

samppa

Feb 17, 2019
My Island Cottage
I dont understand... what year is your car? The new charge port is much larger and doesnt line up to mount the holes. What am I missing?

Strange. My car is 03/2014. Maybe the port is different in Europe? It's a european model S.
They change the door and the whole charge port assembly, eg now it has that round light at the port.

samppa

Feb 17, 2019
My Island Cottage
Here's a photo of the retrofitted motorized port.
From the repair order:
"Corrections: Charge System Inlet General Diagnosis Charge port and its door need to be retrofitted to motorized type.
Corrections: Remove 1st Generation Charge Port Door and Charge Port, Retrofit 1.5 Generation Charge Port
Technicians retrofitted motorized charge port door to vehicle and verified correct operation"

Hmm so it seems my port is Gen 1.5. Maybe this is not the same as facelifted cars Gen 2 port? Who knows. Also could be specific to EU cars.
Part numbers: ASY,ECE CHARGEPORT,GEN1.5 (1061353-00-F)
ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGE PORT DOOR,EU 1.5 (1061930-88-B)
and some fuses

latausportti.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GWord

Alysashley79

Oct 4, 2013
Seattle(ish) WA
Here's a photo of the retrofitted motorized port.
From the repair order:
"Corrections: Charge System Inlet General Diagnosis Charge port and its door need to be retrofitted to motorized type.
Corrections: Remove 1st Generation Charge Port Door and Charge Port, Retrofit 1.5 Generation Charge Port
Technicians retrofitted motorized charge port door to vehicle and verified correct operation"

Hmm so it seems my port is Gen 1.5. Maybe this is not the same as facelifted cars Gen 2 port? Who knows. Also could be specific to EU cars.
Part numbers: ASY,ECE CHARGEPORT,GEN1.5 (1061353-00-F)
ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGE PORT DOOR,EU 1.5 (1061930-88-B)
and some fuses

View attachment 446920

There must be difference between the EU and US ports apparently.
Here’s my 12/14 with the gen door in the US.

Attachments

• 9C49F506-A660-4AE0-830E-0DD08ADB94FB.jpeg
    9C49F506-A660-4AE0-830E-0DD08ADB94FB.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 75
Mar 1, 2018
San Marcos, CA
Its NOT possible. I had a 13 p85 that needed the motorized port. The mechanics aren’t there. Our need was run as high up the chain as it could go before ultimately being told it could not be done. I have a newer car now with the motorized door and don’t see how it actually would be feasible. They’re different sizes.

Yes, for North American and Japanese cars, the hole in the quarter panel is too small to fit to the motorized charge port.

However, here's a bit of trivia: If a body shop needs to replace the left quarter panel, Tesla is only making the newer large-hole style panel, so they'll do the motorized charge port upgrade as part of the repair process.

Alysashley79

Oct 4, 2013
Seattle(ish) WA
However, here's a bit of trivia: If a body shop needs to replace the left quarter panel, Tesla is only making the newer large-hole style panel, so they'll do the motorized charge port upgrade as part of the repair process.

(Insert snarky sarcasm here) so great all we Americans need to do is scrape the single smallest most expensive piece on the car. Fab.

• Funny
Reactions: camthehombre

Karzan.M

Jul 29, 2019
Norway
I live in Norway and got the motorized charge port because of the charge port getting stuck from time to time. The service bulletin shows gen 1,5. I’m so happy that I don’t need my key to open the charge port anymore.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC