Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone retrofitted motorized charge port yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to be done? I remember reading somewhere that someone looked into it and the housing on the motorized port was bigger and that it wouldn't fit in the same space on the older, classic cars. I've never seen someone successfully make this retrofit, and I've wondered if that's why.

They upgraded you from a non-automatic closing to an automatic closing? That's awesome! Glad to know it's possible, and in this case, I'm glad to be wrong. :)

Yeah, exactly so. That was under cpo warranty so no cost (the non-motorized port was malfunctioning). Cost of retrofit should be sg like 750€, also needs a software update so probably not so simple to DIY.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
Its NOT possible. I had a 13 p85 that needed the motorized port. The mechanics aren’t there. Our need was run as high up the chain as it could go before ultimately being told it could not be done. I have a newer car now with the motorized door and don’t see how it actually would be feasible. They’re different sizes.

Here's a photo of the retrofitted motorized port.
From the repair order:
"Corrections: Charge System Inlet General Diagnosis Charge port and its door need to be retrofitted to motorized type.
Corrections: Remove 1st Generation Charge Port Door and Charge Port, Retrofit 1.5 Generation Charge Port
Technicians retrofitted motorized charge port door to vehicle and verified correct operation"

Hmm so it seems my port is Gen 1.5. Maybe this is not the same as facelifted cars Gen 2 port? Who knows. Also could be specific to EU cars.
Part numbers: ASY,ECE CHARGEPORT,GEN1.5 (1061353-00-F)
ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGE PORT DOOR,EU 1.5 (1061930-88-B)
and some fuses

latausportti.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
Here's a photo of the retrofitted motorized port.
From the repair order:
"Corrections: Charge System Inlet General Diagnosis Charge port and its door need to be retrofitted to motorized type.
Corrections: Remove 1st Generation Charge Port Door and Charge Port, Retrofit 1.5 Generation Charge Port
Technicians retrofitted motorized charge port door to vehicle and verified correct operation"

Hmm so it seems my port is Gen 1.5. Maybe this is not the same as facelifted cars Gen 2 port? Who knows. Also could be specific to EU cars.
Part numbers: ASY,ECE CHARGEPORT,GEN1.5 (1061353-00-F)
ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGE PORT DOOR,EU 1.5 (1061930-88-B)
and some fuses

View attachment 446920

There must be difference between the EU and US ports apparently.
Here’s my 12/14 with the gen door in the US.

Attachments

• 9C49F506-A660-4AE0-830E-0DD08ADB94FB.jpeg
    9C49F506-A660-4AE0-830E-0DD08ADB94FB.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 188
Its NOT possible. I had a 13 p85 that needed the motorized port. The mechanics aren’t there. Our need was run as high up the chain as it could go before ultimately being told it could not be done. I have a newer car now with the motorized door and don’t see how it actually would be feasible. They’re different sizes.

Yes, for North American and Japanese cars, the hole in the quarter panel is too small to fit to the motorized charge port.

However, here's a bit of trivia: If a body shop needs to replace the left quarter panel, Tesla is only making the newer large-hole style panel, so they'll do the motorized charge port upgrade as part of the repair process.

However, here's a bit of trivia: If a body shop needs to replace the left quarter panel, Tesla is only making the newer large-hole style panel, so they'll do the motorized charge port upgrade as part of the repair process.

(Insert snarky sarcasm here) so great all we Americans need to do is scrape the single smallest most expensive piece on the car. Fab.

• Funny
Reactions: camthehombre
I live in Norway and got the motorized charge port because of the charge port getting stuck from time to time. The service bulletin shows gen 1,5. I’m so happy that I don’t need my key to open the charge port anymore.