Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone scraped their Model 3 yet? I feel like I need a support group

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I made the mistake of taking a corner too sharply at a drive through. Unfortunately, this left some damage on the body under the driver's side door. I have ceramic coating and suntek on it so there are no scrapes to the paint, but I can feel the difference. The once smooth section has bumps I can feel. The crisp line down there is now marred.

I'm sure most people passing my car won't even notice, but I do and it sucks. As lame as it sounds I had trouble sleeping last night over the stress and shame of that mistake. I might get an estimate from a bodyshop to see how much it would cost to fix, but I imagine it would probably be more than I want to spend.

IMG_7906.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

You said it caught the PPF and didnt damage the paint, but I guess I dont see the part that you said is not smooth anymore?

But dont worry, there are already a fair amount of used Model 3 parts on eBay. Give it a few months and you'll probably be able to find that lower skirt piece in MSM and in clean condition. I wouldnt bother with the "body work" (hell, it may even come out worse from not matching 100%).. it really doesnt seem like it needs anything, unless I'm missing it.

Reactions: dhrivnak
You said it caught the PPF and didnt damage the paint, but I guess I dont see the part that you said is not smooth anymore?

But dont worry, there are already a fair amount of used Model 3 parts on eBay. Give it a few months and you'll probably be able to find that lower skirt piece in MSM and in clean condition. I wouldnt bother with the "body work" (hell, it may even come out worse from not matching 100%).. it really doesnt seem like it needs anything, unless I'm missing it.

I need to take a photo in better light to illustrate the surface. I don't even know what a Tesla certified shop would do. Smooth it out and repaint it? From what I can tell it is not a separate piece that could be replaced, but I may be mistaken.

So you're saying under the crumpled PPF, the paint is a little rough now? It looks like the PPF took all/most of the damage?
Perhaps it did simply crumple and I lucked out. In that case it paid for itself. I haven't peeled it back because then I would be stuck reapplying the PPF and ceramic. As for replacing the part in the future it looks like I would need this whole section:

Image%202018-07-19%20at%201.35.53%20PM.png

Just remove the PPF. It might actually be smooth under it. You could cut just that section out if you are careful.
Turns out it was imprinted. So theres no damage to the paint, but you can feel it. Could be a lot worse. They are going to wrap over that part and I don't think it will be noticeable. I did notice I marred the tire though as well and that bothers me. I usually take great pride in not having these issues.