TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone scratched their front bumper on a parking lot curb or parking block?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by plasmo, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. plasmo

plasmo Member

This is my Silver AWD Model 3 front bumper in the parking lot at my work.

As you can see there is very little clearance and if I moved in just a little further the front bumper would have been scraped by the curb.

The height seems to be higher in my Model S, as I never have issues with bumper clearance at my work parking lot and the lip of my Model S “hangs over” the parking lot curb without any scrapes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

21FF4E80-00E0-4291-8D7E-2EDE0EEECD7B.jpeg

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. plasmo

plasmo Member

Oh I forgot to add, I have the 18” wheels on the Model 3.
    My S has 19” which might explain the increased clearance...?

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

The larger 19" wheels and tires have the same diameter as the smaller 18" set... :cool:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

The size within the given Model 3 or Model S doesn't matter, as the 18",19", and 20" Model 3 tires all stand the same height (within a small fraction of an inch), for example. However the tires on the Model S, be it 19" or 21"(?) are a different height. Still that the vehicle between the tires and the bumper is all different so it's the end result at the bumper that matters anyway.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Not yet, but my wife and I have both scraped the passenger side front wheel on the curb. There is something about the car shape that has fooled both of our depth perceptions. I'll probably buy a new wheel once we both finish our training.

6. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

I had the wheel fixed!!! Came out awesome...$130

• Informative x 1
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Good to know, thanks!

Where did you go ?

8. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

Alloy Wheel Repair In Las Vegas. Awesome!

• Informative x 1
  9. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

What about those rim protector strips?

10. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

I JUST SCRAPED MY FRONT TODAY!!!!! Model 3 is LOW!!!

I was going about 1 mph- seriously. I was pulling out of a parking lot of a store I'd never been to before, onto a main road. It had a slight down hill but nothing that seemed worthy of a second thought! No traffic was coming so no hurrying at all. I just pulled out and SCRAAAAAAAPE!!! Its like running over your dog- it's awful and you can't undo it!!!! I NEVER expected to hear that awful sound!- a billion times worse than fingernails on a chalkboard! I'm too mortified to even take a picture. I couldn't even look for about an hour. It's the first time I've missed my Jeep since delivery day. Superrrrrrr sad face.

• Funny x 1