TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone seen any info on the next 100 Model 3s to be delivered?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jelloslug, Aug 10, 2017.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

We are 1/3 of the way through August and there are supposed to be ~100 more cars hitting the road any day now. I know there will probably not be any fanfare or parties for the next "employee batch" but one would assume that more of them should be spotted with temp tags or whatever they do in California when registering a new car.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I stopped believing anything Musk says a while back.

They'll come, the question is when.

• Disagree x 8
    • Like x 4
  3. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I don't think this guy was in the "lucky 30"....

Early Tesla Model 3 owner gives interview full of analogies about his experience

So here's some somewhat debatable evidence that other people are taking delivery now.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Wow. Kind of depressing to see someone that is that wealthy and connected demonstrate complete and utter "out of touchness" with regular Americans... not to mention his moronic overuse of the world "yum".

"Drives like a Porsche but costs what a Prius costs"? What Prius costs $52,000 which is the minimum he could have paid for the red long-range M3 with the upgraded rims? :rolleyes:

Seems almost certain that he's a big time investor with Tesla and that's how he got his car so early.

• Like x 5
  5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

The driving dynamics between a black, aero wheel standard vs a red, sport wheel LR....are hardly different. You get 0.5s faster 0 to 60mph, an 1" bigger wheels, plus a bit more weight; most Model 3 owners will never be able to tell the difference.

The Prius Prime (the one he was probably referring to; it's the new plug-in hybrid) starts at $27,100 (w/ $4502 federal tax credit.) So, $22.6k (Prius Prime) vs $27.5k (Model 3). That's comparable enough, honestly, though the Prime is absolutely a tad cheaper. You can spec a Prius Prime Advanced into $34k (30k w/ incentive) with just paint and better wheels.

Forget the napkin-math comparison; the bigger issue is his bias. He's clearly a major investor (pecuniary bias), he's an early adopter (personal bias), and he's on TV (halo effect). The car might be great and actually drive like a Porsche, but we'll wait for someone with more objectivity.

• Like x 3
  6. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Toyota is already discounting the Prius Prime so the price delta is bigger than that. Maintenance on Prius Prime is almost certainly far less than Tesla. It's just a completely different category of car.

Tesla won't be shipping a "non $50K" version of their Model 3 anytime soon as most who want the standard battery won't be getting it until early next year at the soonest.

I still think the guy just has extreme bias and I'm far more interested in the feedback of those who haven't pumped millions of dollars into Tesla.

• Like x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Are you sure about that?
    [​IMG]

• Like x 6
  8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

He did say "most" won't be getting it until early next year. Which is probably true even though some may get it this year. I suppose "any time soon" is relative, because that seems reasonably soon to me.

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I'm sure that they are just delivering them as they are made and have gone through QA. There won't be a "batch" of them delivered like at the event.

People have been reporting sightings, which just have no way to know if they are one of the first 30, or if they are newer deliveries.

10. Brando

Brando Member

Seems to me temporary tags are good for at least a month.
    I might be tempted to leave temporary tags on just for ... what? see when a cop pulls me over?
    what else can I speculate about??

11. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Most of us are in the tens of thousands in line for the M3. Is it really important what is happening to the next 100 of them? Get excited when Tesla is up to 50,000 M3's on the street.

• Like x 1
  12. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

You can't hide acres of cars. It should become pretty obvious when production really starts to scale. There will be drone footage of acres of cars awaiting delivery.

• Like x 2
  13. Brando

Brando Member

Employees don't need to wait for delivery, right?
    They just drive them home after work. Optional home delivery?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

Far Less? How do you figure? Oil changes, transmission flushes, more brake wear, the complexity of a hybrid vs a pure electric - long term I don't see how can make this claim.

I do agree that he is biased as a Tesla investor.

• Like x 1
  15. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

How I figure is that Tesla recommends annual service of $500 or so on their "low maintenance " vehicles.

That's how.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I'm sure if you took your Prius to your local Toyota dealer for every recommended service you would not get out of there for less than $500 a year.

• Like x 2
  17. CT200h

CT200h Member

All new Toyotas come with complementary maintenance for 2 years 25,000 miles.

Free.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Then you'd be wrong.

• Disagree x 2
  19. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I love the disruption/transition. You already see it with the A4/E/C Merc/Bmw fans. Tesla knows these guys are waiting for the M3. I have had $0 service impact on both a P85 and P90DL. Will be getting an M3. Hoping the Prius folks are waiting also. Enough of them in NorCal....

20. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

For those involved with the model 3 design/testing/development intimately that's probably true, but for SpaceX employees and tesla employees that aren't closely involved with the model 3 they would benefit from the full handover process to be aware of the functions and limitations eg. EAP. Its also a chance for the delivery agents or whatever they are called to polish the procedure ready for non-employee buyers.

• Like x 1