Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone seen this before on the Uber turbine rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put my summer tires back on and noticed one of my rims is weirdly discolored. The tires and rims came off last November and have sat in a garage until last week when I had them put back on. When I washed my car I noticed the rear passenger rim has this sort of milky white coloring to it. I cleaned my rims with the same cleaner I've been using since I got the car, Variant and the other three are perfectly fine. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?? The rims don't feel any different and if I rub with my finger I can see where I was rubbing but it doesn't come off. The rims have never seen snow or an automatic car wash, I'm perplexed. The one photo is the rim and the other is one of the other normal 3. I've tried cleaning with the rim cleaner as well as the car wash shampoo and a nylon brush.

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_215949977.jpg
    PXL_20220423_215949977.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 290
  • PXL_20220423_215939228.jpg
    PXL_20220423_215939228.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 254
Agreed. Only other thing I can think of is that, when your wheels were stored, this one particular one (with the damage) was on top and inadvertently had something sprayed on it. Possible?
That's about the only thing I could think of. The wheels definitely did not have any cleaner sprayed on them when I swapped them out. It had been at least a week since I had even washed the vehicle and there is zero chance I put wheel cleaner on the rim and forgot to hose it off

Upvote 0
That's about the only thing I could think of. The wheels definitely did not have any cleaner sprayed on them when I swapped them out. It had been at least a week since I had even washed the vehicle and there is zero chance I put wheel cleaner on the rim and forgot to hose it off
Gotcha. You might want to try some rubbing compound on it to see if you can remove the residue. Anything that has some mild abrasion to be able to remove it:

Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound for Cars 10.5 OZ (or similar product)

Reactions: Birdsfan
Upvote 0
Gotcha. You might want to try some rubbing compound on it to see if you can remove the residue. Anything that has some mild abrasion to be able to remove it:

Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound for Cars 10.5 OZ (or similar product)
I was thinking the same thing a cleaner that has some abrasive. I have a cannisters of Eagle One metal polishing wadding that I've had for years. I've attached an additional picture. I also tried the alcohol first before I read the thread from Gauss, vinegar would have been next, thanks for the direction.

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_193851827.jpg
    PXL_20220424_193851827.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0