Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold a car to Vroom that still had a bank loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume Vroom allows you to sell a car to them that isn't fully paid off yet and they just work with your bank and cut you a check for the remaining amount.... but they don't clearly spell that out on their site (I'm hesitant to accept the offer and see what the next steps are without fully knowing all the details). Carvana has it upfront on how to handle that so I know they do, but I'm not local to Carvana and would have to ship the car to the (does anyone know if that's possible, or would I physically have to be there to hand off the car?)

The Vroom offer is about $1,500 less once I factor in the cost to ship the car to California (which would be the closest place that Carvana would take my car) but it would be a HELL of a lot easier just making a few clicks with Vroom and knowing they'll come grab the car.

Has anyone sold to Vroom? Has anyone sold to them while still having a loan on the car? (Obviously the Vroom offer is more than the outstanding loan)

Has anyone sold to Vroom? Has anyone sold to them while still having a loan on the car? (Obviously the Vroom offer is more than the outstanding loan)

I'm in the middle of the process selling to Vroom. Maybe it's just the holiday weekend that's screwing things up, but I'm a little put off by how slow the whole process is. I accepted their offer on August 26. Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks, yet I still have my car. If I could turn back time, I would've gone with Carvana. Their offer was a little less, but I imagine their reliability is much better.

On Friday I received an email from Vroom that said they contracted a carrier to pick up the car and I would hear from the carrier within 2-3 days. It said if I didn't get a call, to call the carrier on the 3rd day, which is today. I called the carrier, waited on hold for 30 minutes and finally agreed to allow a call back. That was at 9:30am, and still no call back at 4:17pm. About 2 hours ago I called Vroom, waited on hold for 15 minutes, agreed to receive a call back (they guaranteed my place in line, etc etc), and yup....no call back yet.

I paid off the balance on my current vehicle loan to expedite the Tesla loan approval. Since I need the money to make the down payment, I can't take delivery of the Tesla until Vroom completes the purchase of my existing car. My delivery is a little over a week away and many have reported early deliveries. I'm starting to get nervous that Tesla will send a text, asking me to take delivery early, I won't be able to, and they'll match the car to someone else and I go back into the line for matching process. All because Vroom isn't so much Vroom, but more of a cough cough sputtering crappy old diesel car.

Bottom line, even though they were the highest offer, I cannot recommend Vroom. You should be able to sell your car quicker than the 3 weeks it will ultimately take, and you should get paid when they take possession of your car.

Oof, that’s not promising. I accepted my offer from Vroom on Friday, fully expecting the holiday weekend to slow stuff down, but I’m hoping to have paperwork moving sometime this week and then a transport maybe next week. That would line everything up perfect for me, but three or more weeks could really screw me over if it pushes into October and deliveries are way delayed...

I would have used Carvana but they don’t pick up locally for me. Maybe I’ll call them and see if I’m able to ship my car to them and remotely do any paperwork. They had an offer $3,000 higher than vroom and shipping would only be $900...

I submitted my car to Vroom on Monday 8/31. Accepted the offer on 9/1. All the documents signed and title mailed on Wednesday 9/2. They assigned a pick-up company on Friday 9/4 and the company called to pick-up Monday 9/7. The check was mailed Monday evening and scheduled to arrive Wednesday 9/8.

Vroom was fast and extremely responsive, so I’d recommend and use them again!

Vroom was fast and extremely responsive, so I’d recommend and use them again!

If you don't need to get anyone on the phone, and you're fine with a company who has had its Better Business Bureau accreditation revoked, then I suppose they're fine.

I've tried 3 different times to get someone on the phone today. Spent over 2 hours holding.

Paid off my loan to make Wells Fargo happy and finalize my Tesla loan. Despite me telling them to check the lien before sending payment, I received an email this morning saying I should be happy because my check is on the way, as is the check to Capital One. So despite my pleas, they're sending Capital One $18k that I already paid and asked them repeatedly NOT to send.

Now, who knows how quickly I'll get the money back from Cap One. I need it by delivery on 9/21.

If you don't need to get anyone on the phone, and you're fine with a company who has had its Better Business Bureau accreditation revoked, then I suppose they're fine.

I've tried 3 different times to get someone on the phone today. Spent over 2 hours holding.

Paid off my loan to make Wells Fargo happy and finalize my Tesla loan. Despite me telling them to check the lien before sending payment, I received an email this morning saying I should be happy because my check is on the way, as is the check to Capital One. So despite my pleas, they're sending Capital One $18k that I already paid and asked them repeatedly NOT to send.

Now, who knows how quickly I'll get the money back from Cap One. I need it by delivery on 9/21.
Sold my wife's ICE car to Carvana and spent seven hours on hold across two days before getting someone on the phone. The challenge was that they're not scheduling pickups in the Bay Area because of COVID, but when I finally got someone on the phone, it went really smoothly. But boy was I pissed while on hold.

Reactions: Lexdysic

I’ve been able to get them one the phone both times I needed within maybe 10 minutes each time... unfortunately both times they sounded like an absolutely unenthusiastic employee that also wasn’t very smart or good at talking on the phone...

Sadly I don't really have another option. CarMax is a possible one, but they're 150 miles away from me and require an in person check before they give you a quote... I would hate to drive 300 mile round trip if it turns out their quote is like Tesla ($30k) when Vroom was $35,500....

I assume Vroom allows you to sell a car to them that isn't fully paid off yet and they just work with your bank and cut you a check for the remaining amount.... but they don't clearly spell that out on their site (I'm hesitant to accept the offer and see what the next steps are without fully knowing all the details). Carvana has it upfront on how to handle that so I know they do, but I'm not local to Carvana and would have to ship the car to the (does anyone know if that's possible, or would I physically have to be there to hand off the car?)

The Vroom offer is about $1,500 less once I factor in the cost to ship the car to California (which would be the closest place that Carvana would take my car) but it would be a HELL of a lot easier just making a few clicks with Vroom and knowing they'll come grab the car.

I sold my car to vroom just last week. They offered the most for my lexus. It was really pretty straightforward tbh.

After accepting their offer, I emailed them/uploaded their requested documents (title, my DL, WellsFargo lien release letter)

Took them a few days to process then I received a confirmation email saying they will start looking for a carrier, which generally takes a few weeks. 24 hrs later they found one, and said they carrier company will reach out to me in 3 days or so to set up car pick up time from my home.

Fast forward a week, the carrier comes over , loads up the car, provides me with a Bill of Lading(proof of pick up).
I instantly email Vroom this document, which is what they need to process my payment.

48 hrs later I had a check fedex to my home. I used those funds right away to apply to my 3 down payment.

I would recommend Vroom based on my personal experience. Simply because they offered me the most, and I got paid once transaction was completed.