Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold their leases Model 3 to a dealer? [as of 10/28/21 not possible any longer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to follow up here and see if anyone has actually done a lease turn in to Tesla or sold to Carvana, CarMax or Vroom and how that played out? I'm buying a new Model S and trying to figure out the best way to deal with my existing super low mileage Model 3 lease. It has less than 4k miles on it 18 months into the lease (thanks COVID). There isn't a buyout option though since it is a Tesla lease.
I just completed a lease purchase of my Model S, ~8 months early. Since you can't buy the Model 3 lease out, you can go to your Tesla account and get a quote for early lease termination. Since the market is so good for used cars right now, the difference between where your current car is valued relative to the contracted residual is probably pretty favorable. For example, I got an early lease termination quote from Tesla and it was pretty much the same as 1 lease payment. You rarely see that low of a difference/penalty 8 months early on a lease.

Just as an additional data point, I got a lease termination quote from Tesla. They listed the market value of the Model 3 at $45k and a lease payoff of just over $50k with me owing the difference. I went to Carvana and requested a quote to buy the Model 3 and they offered me $54k, so I think that as soon as I take delivery of my Model S I will just go ahead and sell my Model 3 to Carvana, Vroom, CarMax, etc. (whichever offers the most). Seems like I might even walk away with a few dollars going that route vs paying Tesla over $5k to terminate the lease.

@sdorn

We semi-recently sold two cars to Carvana, first a DD/RT at the end of lease back in April, we purchased it (solely for the purpose of selling it, there was some issue with them buying it directly < 30 days of the lease expiration), made $10K vs. turning it in - GT convertible in June (offer was my purchase price 2 years prior, so kind of drive-for-free).

In both cases the process was super simple, completely facilitated online, a few documents to upload, some ID info, both times right on schedule the pickup persons showed in the Carvana flat-bed transport, did a 60 second walk around (our cars were mint, so didn't expect any issues), and transferred the funds before leaving via an EFT to our bank.

So at least for us, just selling cars, it was outstanding.

Has anyone sold a leased Tesla to a dealer in the last week or so? I’m being told by Carvana and AutoNation that Tesla is no longer permitting sales to third party dealers even though it is still an option on their website.

This is really going to screw me as I have already purchased my new Model S Plaid. I don't need the Model 3 any longer, but if I can't sell it to a dealer I may just have to keep it. I wonder if I can still try swapalease.com or something like that.

Yes, I understand this has been discussed a few times but I'm wondering if things have changed or if anyone has been successful in the last few weeks/months?

Currently in a 2020 lease performance and loving it. 2020 with 12k miles.
Just for fun, did a carvana instant offer and was quoted $54,361. I emailed tesla for a lease buyout from a dealer, as this is an option now on the site. The care new was 56 and change.
Haven't heard back yet but then when playing around with carvana filters today, I also see this on the carvana page. So is this not an option to do anymore?

Thanks

"Yes, we can work with many leasing companies to help pay off your lease early (sometimes called a “lease buyout”). However, some leasing companies will not allow Carvana to buy out their leases early. Currently, we are unable to buy out leases if you are working with: Acura, Ally, American Honda Finance Corporation, Ford Motor Credit, GM Financial, Infiniti Financial Services, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp, SouthEast Toyota Finance, Tesla Lease, US Bank, or Volvo Financial Services.

You still have options! If you have a lease with one of these companies, you’ll need to follow all the steps below to move forward with selling your vehicle to Carvana:

• Review your existing lease to understand the terms of purchasing your vehicle early
  • Work directly with the leasing company to pay off the lease on your vehicle
  • Obtain a new title in your name*
  • Return to Carvana to get a new offer (make sure you indicate that you no longer have a lease on your vehicle)
We know this process can take a bit of time, but the Carvana team is here to help!"

Has anyone actually had luck with the lease buyout option for Carvana. They offered me a great quote, but everyone I have spoken to there has said they won’t buy out the lease from Tesla.
After you get the quote right on the Carvana page it says they do not buy out Tesla Leases.
I guess its best just to take the print out and go shopping to other dealers. I heard the process is very
difficult and Tesla just flat our ignores the dealers requests for titles etc. I recently tried with Current Automotive in Naperville, and they
flat out told me they can do it however they no longer do. They have been waiting on titles for months sitting on cars.

I sold my Model 3 lease to Carmax several months back. It was a bit of a pain because Tesla and Carmax couldn’t seem to figure out what documents each side wanted. I was able to sell it to them though after a week or two of back and forth. Then once Carmax had the car it ended up taking Tesla well over a month to release the title to Carmax… but at that point it didn’t matter to me. Just saw my car sitting in the back lot of the local Carmax store for weeks since they couldn’t do anything with it yet.

Different car but Shift quoted me $11,000 more than Tesla for my 911. Worth checking.
2021 M3 lease have a clause saying they can’t be traded in (didn’t go the lease route anyway but thought it was interesting. Especially with the atrocious money factor that Tesla offers).

Different car but Shift quoted me $11,000 more than Tesla for my 911. Worth checking.
2021 M3 lease have a clause saying they can’t be traded in (didn’t go the lease route anyway but thought it was interesting. Especially with the atrocious money factor that Tesla offers).
Tesla leases can be traded in. Tesla does allow 3rd party dealer buyouts. Its just a matter of if that dealer wants to deal with the hassle.
As poster above stated Carmax had a heck of a time getting the title which I have heard from numerous other people. Carvana wont even
deal with them on leases anymore however will deal w them on purchases all day long