Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold/traded in their car before 30 months and had their CVRP rebate taken back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about trading in my tesla that i've had for about 15 months for a new tesla. The rules say you have to own for >30 months, otherwise they will take the money back. Has anyone sold their car before 30 months, and had their $2500 CVRP check taken back?

If you apply for another rebate, they will surely check up on the DMV registration for your prior rebates. Their documentation says they will check their rebate database periodically against DMV registration data. However, I've not heard specifically of people getting demand letters after selling / totaling / trading their car.

By the way, it's prorated by 30 months, so if you traded it in at 15 months, you would owe them half the rebate you received.

If you apply for another rebate, they will surely check up on the DMV registration for your prior rebates. Their documentation says they will check their rebate database periodically against DMV registration data. However, I've not heard specifically of people getting demand letters after selling / totaling / trading their car.

By the way, it's prorated by 30 months, so if you traded it in at 15 months, you would owe them half the rebate you received.

I gotcha. I don't plan to apply for another rebate, so maybe I'll be in the clear. If not - good to know that it's prorated. Thanks for the reply!

You are legally required by the terms of the rebate to return a prorated prorated portion of the money. Even it they don't catch you, by knowingly not returning the money, you would be committing fraud.
I didn't know that at the time the car was repurchased. I now understand that I may have breached a contractual obligation. I assumed a Lemon Law repurchase was not covered in the return policy and if it was not exempted they would notify me. I had no intention of defrauding the program. That was over three years ago. I have received 4 rebates since then. One of those went back to the lessor after 36 months and the others including the Tesla are still in use. I may not be a model citizen but I am a model of how the program has incentivized the use of EVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelX