Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone successfully retrofit laminated side glass to Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this video of the comparison. And the glass looks the same shape as far as anchor points. Its just on the new one because they used metal they didnt have to use as much glass at the bottom. But as far as attachment points where the motor is attached, from this video it looks the same?

And logically, if you have a system that works, and more importantly an assembly line that is finely tuned, why would you change it? So I am curious if anyone actually retrofit their car with new laminated glass and if the process required swapping anything else (motor/trim etc)... I need to replace my side glass and have the laminated one on order (should arrive next week), but Id like to make sure its going to work out before I go and pay for it.

here are a few stills -
Untitled.jpg

cant edit original post (been over 60 minutes), but doing some more research found this article on someone doing Model 3, and they state its a direct fit: Primary Tesla - Laminated Glass Retrofit

here is the quote in case something happens to the link. keep in mind this is for Model 3 not Y, but I assume its similar:

1. Most importantly: it's a direct fit. Two bolts on the bottom, same as the old one. The new ones have the bracket attached to the glass rather than a separate bracket on the older ones (on the old ones they use painters blue tape to keep the bracket in place before installing so it doesn't fall out...crazy!). The glass sits flush when the window is closed. Looks just like the new ones.

2. You don't have to remove the second inner plastic panel to change out the glass. If your glass isn't broken, you just remove the the interior panel (3 bolts and some clips). Then you move the window up to a point where you can access the 2 bolts thru 2 holes which you will see after you remove the interior panel (covered by black rubber tabs). While the old glass is still on, use a sharpie to mark where the old glass sits near the tab. When you put the new one in, you want to line it back with those sharpie marks for alignment purposes.

EDIT: he actually made a post on these forums - Laminated Glass Retrofit

The bottom part of the mechanism that holds the glass, whatever it's called, for the laminated and non-laminated glass, is different too and the shape of the bottom of the window is different. The YouTube video (from the first post above) shows this.