Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sued Tesla over back-ordered parts and repair delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the issue with the rivets is the use of steel rivets would cause corrosion and failures. Only one company in Japan at the time made the proper aluminum rivets required for repairs (they were not used in production). I can see why Tesla would be concerned about using some non-approved part where it would fail later on. If you supply an actual Tesla part, I'd expect that would be ok, but I don't know for sure.

I think the issue with the rivets is the use of steel rivets would cause corrosion and failures. Only one company in Japan at the time made the proper aluminum rivets required for repairs (they were not used in production). I can see why Tesla would be concerned about using some non-approved part where it would fail later on. If you supply an actual Tesla part, I'd expect that would be ok, but I don't know for sure.
There's more than one source of rivets. For example, a search on rivets at Fastenal brings up 1500+ entries.

I was wondering if any of the old timers would bring that up :) Hope all is well with you, Mr. Hammer.
Saw your post and couldn't resist:cool: . Life is good, retired and driving my Teslas all over the country. Over 100K miles on all three. My '15 85D is currently in body shop limbo since last August when my wife hit a deer. Tesla isn't even involved yet because my Tesla certified body shop is not a preferred shop for my insurance and we still haven't come to an agreement on what parts need to ordered and what the insurance will pay for. Luckily the damage is minor and the car is driveable, just cant open the frunk which is annoying since this is my winter ski car and I could use the space.

I am working with a guy locally to buy his 2015 P90D because it has been in the shop for >7 months and Tesla has made it obvious they are not making parts for the old Model S's.
It's a difficult position as Tesla certified body shops can NOT use "used" Tesla parts or they can lose their certification from Tesla. Also they can lose status if they are found to sell any of the used parts as well (they have to destroy any bumpers, etc) at the shop.

I am working with a guy locally to buy his 2015 P90D because it has been in the shop for >7 months and Tesla has made it obvious they are not making parts for the old Model S's.
It's a difficult position as Tesla certified body shops can NOT use "used" Tesla parts or they can lose their certification from Tesla. Also they can lose status if they are found to sell any of the used parts as well (they have to destroy any bumpers, etc) at the shop.
I have run certified shops and a Tesla owned shop. There are no rules that say we have to destroy used parts. The only time we had to destroy parts is when they are received damaged or flawed. In those cases we have to email photographic proof that we destroyed the part in order to receive a free replacement.

Parts are not that difficult to get anymore but shops tend to continue using that excuse anyway because it is still widely accepted as fact by customers.

Part # I need is 6006352-07-B

Searched ebay and don't find an exact match from a reliable seller. There are several -C parts which claim to be good for the 2015 85D air susp.. Does anyone know for a fact that the -B and -C are interchangeable?
Generally in auto parts a……. a-b-c-d after the part number is a simple revision to the part …generally for an improved part but we the consumer do the testing

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
Insurance will not total the car, why would they take such a loss?

(please check with a lawyer) but I think you have no bases for any law case, because the way the MagnusonMoss Warranty Act only talk about parts during the warranty period so Tesla or any other OEM car manufacturer could easily not stock parts beyond the 4 year period. I know most in the US do have parts for at least 10 years but that's not the law, it's just what makes sense for them to do to keep the CPO/first level used market alive to drive more future sales to new cars.

Most likely your insurance via there adjuster and affiliated 3rd party shops will try to get your used parts. Also be prepare to have an increase on your premium.

Part # I need is 6006352-07-B

Searched ebay and don't find an exact match from a reliable seller. There are several -C parts which claim to be good for the 2015 85D air susp.. Does anyone know for a fact that the -B and -C are interchangeable?
Yes - provided the rest of the part number is the same then later revisions (higher letters) are intended to be backward compatible. The last letter is a revision character that tracks minor internal changes/improvements.

Yes, I just want to be done with Tesla forever. I've had some other issues with them over the years, despise the company's treatment of customers, and just want to put this POS company in the rear view mirror and never look back.

That said, do you have any suggestions on where to find the part (I'm on the west side of Denver)? Mind leaving your car in the driveway tonight? :)
What part are you looking for? You mean the actual strut or the strut tower on the body? I’ll help look if you want help.

The Tesla certified body shops are forbidden from using used parts. Maybe they will be frustrated enough to forget about that for a day or two 😉

07-B is not the correct part for a '15 85D. You can use 6006352-06-B or 6006352-06-C
That is the part on the report I got from State Farm. I will double check with the shop tomorrow.

I was in contact with the 057 guys and they told me all 4 air shocks must match exactly to function correctly.

What part are you looking for? You mean the actual strut or the strut tower on the body? I’ll help look if you want help.

The Tesla certified body shops are forbidden from using used parts. Maybe they will be frustrated enough to forget about that for a day or two 😉

I'm looking for the complete strut (driver's side, rear). From the State Farm list of parts, it's 6006352-07-B, which I will be confirming again tomorrow. Yes, I think the shop is getting frustrated by Tesla, as they have several cars there for several months, waiting for parts.

That is the part on the report I got from State Farm. I will double check with the shop tomorrow.

I was in contact with the 057 guys and they told me all 4 air shocks must match exactly to function correctly.

I'm looking for the complete strut (driver's side, rear). From the State Farm list of parts, it's 6006352-07-B, which I will be confirming again tomorrow. Yes, I think the shop is getting frustrated by Tesla, as they have several cars there for several months, waiting for parts.
I would have put a used strut in after a week…. They did change over time (spring rate, damping, etc) so I would either get a set of four that match or find a replacement with the exact same part number.

The old one will have a sticker if it hasn’t been trashed, or you can get the part number off the other side to match up the generation.

State Farm uses a third part estimating system to quote parts as all non-Tesla shop do. This is a good placeholder but when the shop orders in EPC, they input the VIN and the Lathrop parts facility will supply the correct part. Per Tesla, the air springs need to match side to side but not front to back. Same goes for tires where they allow different brands front to back but not side to side even if they are not staggered.

I spoke to a former employee of mine and he confirmed that there are 88 air springs (6006352-06-C) in stock for your car at Lathrop - Murphy 2. He also confirmed that 6006352-07-B is marked "deprecated" which is the term that Tesla uses for obsolete parts.

State Farm uses a third part estimating system to quote parts as all non-Tesla shop do. This is a good placeholder but when the shop orders in EPC, they input the VIN and the Lathrop parts facility will supply the correct part. Per Tesla, the air springs need to match side to side but not front to back. Same goes for tires where they allow different brands front to back but not side to side even if they are not staggered.

I spoke to a former employee of mine and he confirmed that there are 88 air springs (6006352-06-C) in stock for your car at Lathrop - Murphy 2. He also confirmed that 6006352-07-B is marked "deprecated" which is the term that Tesla uses for obsolete parts.
Nice work

The point being is that if your car has the "B" versions the shop needs to order two of the "C" versions so the left/right match. They will never be able to get the "B" version from Tesla.

So clearly something is falling apart. Is it Tesla or the shop? Or both?

Thanks very much for the time you spent on this. I passed the info along to the shop and hopefully this will get the ball rolling. Sure seems like Tesla's parts system is AFU'd, not updating to an active, available part.

Reactions: blodg1
So clearly something is falling apart. Is it Tesla or the shop? Or both?
I don't think it is the shop. Independent shops have only one option and that is click the part they need in EPC submit the order. The tough part is that they are at the mercy of the system and, often, the lack of critical thinking on the other side (Tesla procurement). I'm back at a traditional shop now and a great example of a perfect system is the local Toyota dealership parts department. I place electronic orders with them as well, however, the difference is the immense knowledge and attention of their parts team. If I order something likely incorrect, I get a phone call and they ask more questions to narrow down my options and pinpoint the correct selection.

Reactions: buckets0fun