Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone swapped from a M3P to M3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love driving. Both power hand handling. So I like something well rounded.
Not quite what you are asking, but I drove a LR for a few days while my '19 P was in the service center. While I was driving the LR (no boost), I thought it was pretty peppy and not that much different, although the 18 wheels and suspension could be felt in the steering response which I didn't like at all (yech). I made an effort to accelerate quickly early and often to see if I could feel a difference...and...I didn't think I really could. But then I got my car back and did the same thing. Dang there was a noticeable difference down low, less so at interstate overtaking speeds but lower power was very noticeable. I guess I just don't punch it early and often on my daily trips so is that power down low worth it?

When it comes time to trade-in my '19, it'll be a hard decision on:
- LR with boost (2k), coilovers (3k), and wheels (4k). So 9k over a base LR.
- P, which is 7k more than a base LR plus possible coilovers (3k) so only 1k more than the combo above and for that 1k I'd get better brakes, more down low punch, but less individuality using stock wheels.

And of course delivery times come into play with a P having a much lower lead time.

Reactions: candida
The price delta isn't that crazy between the P and LR now. When it was £10k odd it didn't really make much sense.

As a P owner, I couldn't go back to a slower car, even if it's close as I'm sure it probably is. I'd always be wondering how much more grunt there would be when I put my foot down.

Reactions: Zilla91
I know owning a P and rarely giving it full beans means from a performance perspective most of the time you wouldn't notice the difference, and to trade in a P and buy an LR means a fairly small contribution to get a brand new car - and that is attractive, however I like the 20 inch turbines (Not so keen on the Uberturbines though and absolutely detest the 18 and 19 inch Tesla wheels with and without the plastic plates over them), The red callipers (could paint the LR ones, the little boot spoiler, the fairly firm ride and handling of the P. For me I would rather stay with a P and probably drop the FSD and maybe even Enhanced autopilot as they really aren't worth the money (But with my luck as soon as i buy a new one the FSD will suddenly work fine)
I'm waiting just a few months to change my 2020 P for a new one as Im convinced more revisions are coming on the car in Q4.

I think your consideration is the most sensible choice and represents fantastic value for money - its just rare for me to be sensible and let my head rule my heart - I just think I'm here once enjoy it. Cars are my weakness and I'm not into travelling abroad on holiday anymore so i figure a two week break at my favourite hotel at Port Adriano in Majorca for me and the wife costs me about £6K - a holiday that's a distant memory a fortnight after returning home - so don't go away and put the money towards a new car which i will enjoy for years to come.

I had a Model-S Performance, and replaced that with bog standard Model-S (after 3.5 years / 95K miles, not because I didn't like it!)

I've never driven M3P, but MSP was "properly sorted". Launch was incredibly sure-footed, even from the lights at a roundabout when taking first exit. In the wet. All MS loaners I had (and current one) and the M3 and MY scrabble a bit.

But the launch was brutal, and I very rarely used it (after initial demo to all my mates :) ). Pulling out into a tight gap on a roundabout, because I could, was uncomfortable for any passengers as they would not be expecting it.

I have a stretch of road near here with marker at 200M. I never timed it in MSP, sadly, but my MS (LR Raven) and M3 LR both get from 40 to exactly 90 and the MY LR to 86. Their 0-60s are very different, so that must all be in the 0-40 - AB likewise.

So, for me, it would come down to brakes, suspension, aesthetics, and how well sorted full-throttle accelerate is in the M3P, and how often you would actually use the 0-40 bit

Reactions: 15Peter20
I have a LR/EAP on order (currently showing August delivery) and will be trading in my 2019 M3P/FSD, assuming trade in prices don't nose dive. I love my M3P, it's been faultless, but I've scratched that itch now so am looking forward to the extra range and other updates that come with the 2022 LR. However, it's really the higher than expected trade-in prices that have encouraged me to swap this year. I'll be adding the acceleration boost though ;)

looking forward to the extra range

Yes, that's a good point too. My before/after wasn't exactly applies-and-apples, but:

I went from MS P90D to a LR Raven. Real world motorway-cruising range from about 250 to 300 miles. That made a big difference to me ... previously I was out-of-range and charging about 2x a month, and now a few times a year - in particular on long journeys like "Skiing in the Alps" (which we didn't do in the original MS, although that would partly have been that there are more Superchargers now)

That car change, for me, came at the time that M3 arrived in UK, and probably just about the time more stalls were occupied with M3, so not having to charge as often has probably saved me some waiting time.

Depends on journey-mix of course, but I had quite a lot of journeys in the "bit too far" category. The "comfort level / contingency" remains about the same, say 30 miles. So actual range is 250-30 vs 300-30. 220 miles in a day was quite often, 270 far fewer.

I have a regular business trip, 390 miles round trip. ABRP says:

Old P90D 35 minute stop on the way there, 30 Min on the way back (at a supercharger location that didn't exist then :) ...)

Now it needs one 20 minute stop on the return leg or, if I overnight, a trickle charge is enough.

For me, on business trips, NO stops on the outbound leg is preferable. Stops make arrival time uncertain - e.g. if Supercharger is full, or I share a stall on reduced power. On the return leg I don't care, no meeting arrival time that I'm trying to make, and I can do emails that I would just do once I got home anyway, so "time neutral" and I, as the driver, get a break.