Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a little something about practicing, however I feel that something as critical as the safety device in question should not require practice in different situations. Know where the control is, it should not move and be easy to operate. You should be able to activate it at any time, without looking at it, even if you're in the middle of a turn such as in the parking lot situation described.

Makes sense. Personally, I am good with this as a safety device under these parameters.

If I put my palm over the right spoke, the horn is activated. Can you handle that?
It does not always work for me, mainly because it requires you to accidently press the horn button with the plam of your hand. Depending on the size and shape of your hand, and the orientation of the yoke, it is not always going to work. A horn should work 100% of the time. Not when all the stars happen to align. Even if it works 80% of the time, it is not good enough for a safety feature.

The capacitive horn button should be illegal as it doesn't work with gloves on! Sure I have 'iphone gloves with a capacitive tips' but the whole palm solution doesn't work.

Before the defenders say don't wear gloves and preheat, when it's -40 here in the North Woods, we have to wear gloves. We are so remote, the ATT cell service doesn't work at home so we can't wake the car from the app to preheat.

Plus 1.5 years ago weren't we lied to and told all S/X at that point had hardware for center horn already, just waiting for software to enable?

No I'm not giving them $700 for a better wheel as they aren't fixing the enogronomic nightmare that the stalkless design it.

I'm asking because we have one with a yoke and with the upcoming retrofit kit, we're considering the switch but I was wondering:

1. What the width of the wheel is? is it as wide as the yoke and/or older Model S steering wheels (that always felt HUGE to me) or more like the size of a Model Y/3 wheel?

2. Did Tesla finally add the horn at the center/airbag or is it still a touch-button on the right side?

Would love to see real world photos and driver's view of the binnacle display with the wheel if anyone can post those!

Thanks!
FYI: Even if you get the wheel you don’t get the stalks or real buttons.

Reactions: Huncowboy
I seconds that. The missing stalks is the bad thing. Even the turn signal is okay but to me the high beams and the wiper is very annoying. Especially the wiper. Especially since the auto function is just bad. Arghhh... and why can't we have a phone button? Neither of those are fixed in the regular wheel version. So I ordered an S just now and went for the yoke again. There is one thing that I super dig about the yoke though beside that it looks cool to me. (And yes! Cool matters!) But I really like how I can rest my left hand on the top left of the yoke while my elbow is resting on the door. The weight of my hand is just enough to keep the autopilot warning at bay and it is also comfy. I guess this depends on your arm length and other things but for me it is just perfect. Now I use the AP all the time on highways.

Reactions: Mark II
I seconds that. The missing stalks is the bad thing. Even the turn signal is okay but to me the high beams and the wiper is very annoying. Especially the wiper. Especially since the auto function is just bad. Arghhh... and why can't we have a phone button? Neither of those are fixed in the regular wheel version. So I ordered an S just now and went for the yoke again. There is one thing that I super dig about the yoke though beside that it looks cool to me. (And yes! Cool matters!) But I really like how I can rest my left hand on the top left of the yoke while my elbow is resting on the door. The weight of my hand is just enough to keep the autopilot warning at bay and it is also comfy. I guess this depends on your arm length and other things but for me it is just perfect. Now I use the AP all the time on highways.
I do agree, I hate everything about the yoke, except that it works better with nag. In my case I hold the right bottom side and rest my right arm on the armrest. Works perfectly! I hardly ever gets nags.

I don’t miss stalks at all, but I understand the matter of preference. The horn in center seems reasonable.

My main gripe with yoke is lack of vegan leather which I think they will fix eventually. I also am a bit surprised that the hand positions of the yoke 9&3 aren’t as comfortable… I’m not sure what it is about the round wheel but I feel like my hands hang on the wheel as opposed to the yoke where I feel like I’m pulling it towards me constantly… subtle but interesting.

Hands at the bottom of yoke are super great though.

I’ve ordered the round wheel for wifey though.

Tesla didn’t “reinvent” the wheel…
4B5CC3BB-14D2-4053-975D-7538EE3EB1EF.png

I know a little something about practicing, however I feel that something as critical as the safety device in question should not require practice in different situations. Know where the control is, it should not move and be easy to operate. You should be able to activate it at any time, without looking at it, even if you're in the middle of a turn such as in the parking lot situation described.

It's extremely easy to make any kind of turn with the Yoke. I use it everyday and love it. Never going back to a round wheel.

I mean you pretty much said it yourself… grumpy old person! What newer cars don’t have a central horn location, and why do you think that is?
Our 2015 Honda Crosstour doesn't have a center horn. It also doesn't have USS bumper sensors, but that's another thread. The horn is operated by hitting the embossed horn symbols on either side of the wheel. The horn fulcrum is at the center of the wheel. The closer you get to the center of the wheel the harder it is to honk, the center will not honk.
Screenshot_20230210_055331_Chrome.jpg

Our 2015 Honda Crosstour doesn't have a center horn. It also doesn't have USS bumper sensors, but that's another thread. The horn is operated by hitting the embossed horn symbols on either side of the wheel. The horn fulcrum is at the center of the wheel. The closer you get to the center of the wheel the harder it is to honk, the center will not honk.View attachment 908991
Let’s all agree that still is considered the center…