Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest Cybertruck photos reveal the new concept - combination between wheel and yoke, aka “woke”. Tesla continue to reinvent the wheel.

1678154008937.jpeg

I recently received my Model S with yoke steering, and it took about a week to get everything down just right. Here are some thoughts from my experience.

The good:
  • The yoke looks cool, I like the appearance in the drivers seat.
  • The design makes driving feel more open. From the view of the driver, it feels very clean and minimalist.
  • I am a taller guy, and getting in and out of the vehicle is easier on my legs because of the wheel design. This was supported further when they had to give me a loaner that was a 2014 Model S. I definitely prefer the extra inch of clearance.
The okay:
  • Remembering how the turn signals are lined up took a bit to get used to.
  • The same goes for the other buttons.
  • Learning how to do sharp turns was interesting. I turn the yoke 90 degrees with no hand changes. If I have to turn the yoke further, I will grab the left, with my right hand (or vice versa) and that does the complete turn.
The Bad:
  • The horn... why? Seems like a simple place to put it in the middle. I like the idea a previous poster mentioned about putting a textured sticker on the horn to help find it.
Bottom line: If the good seems positive enough to you, the other issues are easy to overcome imho. The horn is the most annoying, but opting for the wheel will not help, so it really comes down to a driver's willingness to adapt to the yoke or not. Since the round wheel doesn't impact the horn or other buttons like it could, It looks more like a "you don't want to adapt and it is hurting our bottom line? Fine, we will make a pointless adjustment to sell more units." to me.

I recently received my Model S with yoke steering, and it took about a week to get everything down just right. Here are some thoughts from my experience.

The good:
  • The yoke looks cool, I like the appearance in the drivers seat.
  • The design makes driving feel more open. From the view of the driver, it feels very clean and minimalist.
  • I am a taller guy, and getting in and out of the vehicle is easier on my legs because of the wheel design. This was supported further when they had to give me a loaner that was a 2014 Model S. I definitely prefer the extra inch of clearance.
The okay:
  • Remembering how the turn signals are lined up took a bit to get used to.
  • The same goes for the other buttons.
  • Learning how to do sharp turns was interesting. I turn the yoke 90 degrees with no hand changes. If I have to turn the yoke further, I will grab the left, with my right hand (or vice versa) and that does the complete turn.
The Bad:
  • The horn... why? Seems like a simple place to put it in the middle. I like the idea a previous poster mentioned about putting a textured sticker on the horn to help find it.
Bottom line: If the good seems positive enough to you, the other issues are easy to overcome imho. The horn is the most annoying, but opting for the wheel will not help, so it really comes down to a driver's willingness to adapt to the yoke or not. Since the round wheel doesn't impact the horn or other buttons like it could, It looks more like a "you don't want to adapt and it is hurting our bottom line? Fine, we will make a pointless adjustment to sell more units." to me.
The gear selection is the most annoying part for me. I've had mine for 18 months and I still make mistakes about once a month.

The gear selection is the most annoying part for me. I've had mine for 18 months and I still make mistakes about once a month.

True. The biggest problem is that on our other Tesla's and our Mercedes, you push the stalk down for forward and up for reverse. On the Model S, they f'd up by making it the other way around. Probably too late to reprogram that since so many cars have already been sold.

Same. You have to be REALLY particular in challenging areas (like trying to squeeze out of a parallel-parked space). Otherwise, you miss the shift, hit the go pedal and oops. Pretty funny to describe "missing a shift" in a car like this. But hey, I've done it.

True. The biggest problem is that on our other Tesla's and our Mercedes, you push the stalk down for forward and up for reverse. On the Model S, they f'd up by making it the other way around. Probably too late to reprogram that since so many cars have already been sold.
Well, It's not a Mercedes ... not sure why they would change it ... "Up" for forward makes perfect sense to me since the front of the car is facing up, never had any issues.

Well, It's not a Mercedes ... not sure why they would change it ... "Up" for forward makes perfect sense to me since the front of the car is facing up, never had any issues.

When you've spent the last XX years with down being drive, and up being reverse ... it's challenging muscle memory. Not sure what Mercedes has to do with it, other than they use a similar stalk to the prior Model S/X.

Logically, yes, what Tesla designed makes a ton of sense.

But I'm fighting muscle memory from driving our previous Teslas, and our Cadillacs and Buicks before that, which also had electronic shifters. On all of those - at least my last 10 years' worth of vehicles, if not further back - up is reverse, down is drive, since the electronic shifters sit in a central "neutral" position - temporary push to switch gears, rather than the old-school "lock in place" shifters.

Most times it's fine, especially when starting/ending a trip. But when trying to do a quick-shift, as in parallel parking, mistakes can be (and have been) made. Thankfully haven't played bumper cars because of it.

Well, it is a Tesla, and Tesla originally copied Mercedes with their stalks, so pay attention.

Oh, not just copied, appropriated them lock, stock & barrel. Stalks, window switches, etc -- plenty of Mercedes switchgear in "legacy" S/X.

It's weird to me, so many having trouble adapting. I just don't have issues with the controls or the Yoke. Maybe the first week or so.

Yea, I with the horn was center and I think physical turn signals would be better, but still adapted no problem.

I've parallel parked hundreds of times, done complex maneuvers, even taken it to the track a few times ...

The only issue I continue to have is when I'm full over on the yoke and need to turn, I have to think about which turn signal to press since they are upside down and opposite, it's not automatic for me.

When you've spent the last XX years with down being drive, and up being reverse ... it's challenging muscle memory. Not sure what Mercedes has to do with it, other than they use a similar stalk to the prior Model S/X.

Logically, yes, what Tesla designed makes a ton of sense.

But I'm fighting muscle memory from driving our previous Teslas, and our Cadillacs and Buicks before that, which also had electronic shifters. On all of those - at least my last 10 years' worth of vehicles, if not further back - up is reverse, down is drive, since the electronic shifters sit in a central "neutral" position - temporary push to switch gears, rather than the old-school "lock in place" shifters.

Most times it's fine, especially when starting/ending a trip. But when trying to do a quick-shift, as in parallel parking, mistakes can be (and have been) made. Thankfully haven't played bumper cars because of it.

Oh, not just copied, appropriated them lock, stock & barrel. Stalks, window switches, etc -- plenty of Mercedes switchgear in "legacy" S/X.
Maybe I am missing something. Are you referring to the screen drive/reverse/park? I don't use that much at all. I just use the smart shift (think that is what it is called) and let the car select. So far I only correct it 5-10% of the time. I also do not equate muscle memory from a stalk to the screen, for me it doesn't translate. Maybe that is different for most people.

@lowtek I agree, people really seem to struggle to adapt. That surprises me too, because how many of us have owned cars from multiple manufacturers over the past 10-40+ years and all the buttons are in VERY different places. I can't recall anyone complaining 20 years ago because the volume nob changed places before...

It's weird to me, so many having trouble adapting. I just don't have issues with the controls or the Yoke. Maybe the first week or so.

Yea, I with the horn was center and I think physical turn signals would be better, but still adapted no problem.

I've parallel parked hundreds of times, done complex maneuvers, even taken it to the track a few times ...

The only issue I continue to have is when I'm full over on the yoke and need to turn, I have to think about which turn signal to press since they are upside down and opposite, it's not automatic for me.
Honestly, if your argument is that it's no problem as long as you accept that everything you do takes longer or is more awkward to do, I agree. It is, however, physically impossible to shift from D to R and back faster/more accurately than e.g. in a Model 3. You have to take your eyes off the road, swipe in a narrow band, and the chance of error is much greater unless you're paying great attention. In the Model 3? You can change from D to R literally with your eyes closed, and much quicker. You can't adapt to be faster than in said Model 3. It's not possible. It would be one thing if this new way of interacting had a learning curve and then it was faster/more efficient. This will never be the case. Doing three-point turns in the Model S takes me about twice as long as in my Model 3, just because of the wasted time on the screen, not even to mention fumbling with the yoke while doing so.

Maybe I am missing something. Are you referring to the screen drive/reverse/park? I don't use that much at all. I just use the smart shift (think that is what it is called) and let the car select. So far I only correct it 5-10% of the time. I also do not equate muscle memory from a stalk to the screen, for me it doesn't translate. Maybe that is different for most people.

I am, and frankly, it's a BIG step backwards. The auto-shift is OK-ish for starting a drive. Doesn't do jack for parallel parking, or backing into a parking space, or K-turns, or any number of maneuvers other than "take me out of my driveway."

The screen shift is further away - I have to take my hands off the wheel and reach for it - and requires a long swipe motion that sometimes I either do slightly sideways, or with not the right amount of pressure, in which case, I get a mis-shift.

The Model [legacy S/legacy X/3/Y] stalk was a quick tap up or down with a finger while my hands remain on the wheel.

It's not that it makes the car inoperable or anything, but it's a change for change's sake, not because it adds ANY incremental value whatsoever.

I'm good with new ways and methods when they make sense. This doesn't. The yoke doesn't, the capacitive buttons don't, and the lack of stalks don't. None of them add any value to my day -- in their very best operating modes, they're not worse than the prior generation. That's a design loser.

Also, Tesla is great about challenging the status quo ... one of the many reasons legacy auto should be very, very scared and reconsider being "set in their ways" or they may find themselves only referenced in a history book ... er ... Wikipedia article 🤣

... and let's face it, we need legacy auto to get with the program ... competition will make Tesla better ...

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Also, Tesla is great about challenging the status quo ... one of the many reasons legacy auto should be very, very scared and reconsider being "set in their ways" or they may find themselves only referenced in a history book ... er ... Wikipedia article 🤣

... and let's face it, we need legacy auto to get with the program ... competition will make Tesla better ...

I'm all for Tesla finding new, better ways to do things, as you said -- challenge the status quo. But I expect those things to be an improvement... this is a swing and a miss IMO.

I'm not upset at Tesla for trying -- but it really isn't any improvement for the driving experience. The stalks are a low cost, easy to manufacture, low failure rate, well refined, available in bulk item. That's not the one I want to see them remove.

And don't get me confused - I love my Teslas and I'm in this for the long haul ... but I tend to call 'em as I see 'em. And this is the one big update I simply can't justify. Lots of their other quirky design decisions, I can see the rationale. This one ... not so much.

The fact that Tesla is offering a standard wheel as an option now - is as much an admission of failure as anything you'll ever get from Team Fremont Austin Palo Alto.

Honestly, if your argument is that it's no problem as long as you accept that everything you do takes longer or is more awkward to do, I agree. It is, however, physically impossible to shift from D to R and back faster/more accurately than e.g. in a Model 3. You have to take your eyes off the road, swipe in a narrow band, and the chance of error is much greater unless you're paying great attention. In the Model 3? You can change from D to R literally with your eyes closed, and much quicker. You can't adapt to be faster than in said Model 3. It's not possible. It would be one thing if this new way of interacting had a learning curve and then it was faster/more efficient. This will never be the case. Doing three-point turns in the Model S takes me about twice as long as in my Model 3, just because of the wasted time on the screen, not even to mention fumbling with the yoke while doing so.
Agreed. I have both a 3 and an S. The stalks on the 3 are way better for this reason. I don't mind the yoke, but give us some stalks!

Reactions: TSLA Pilot

Yep, 100%. I love this article about Toyota engineers. Tesla does things well. They integrate well. They have a unique culture that allows integration of engineering better than most legacy automakers.

I do think progress has always been two steps forward, one step back. I also agree with you that some aspects of the wheel and shift are a step back. @dmurphy I haven't encountered most of the issues you reference. I don't parallel park at all, just not necessary at the places I frequent. I do back-in often, but it became second nature to swipe down on the screen to back up. Ergonomically I have no issues reaching for the screen, but I did set up my seat to ensure I had good visuals and screen reach. That said, I think the screen shifter (is that what it is called now? lol) is imperfect, but it challenges the status quo; and will likely lead to improved shifting. I like the idea of selecting the parking spot, and letting the car park itself once FSD/EAP can do so in a consistent timely fashion, which would negate the need for a screen shifter.

I also do not think the round steering wheel is an admission of failure. It is Tesla understanding and catering to their customer base. Now, would you call that a failure? If so, then you are right! I don't see it that way. I see it as an adaptation. Kind-a like many early changes in a vehicle such as the turning headlights in a 1960's Studebaker. The world just wasn't ready. Now we have that option coming back on Teslas and other vehicles.