Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my yoke with an aftermarket steering wheel in December. I much prefer using a steering wheel as I live in an area where I drive numerous canyon roads.

The yoke looks cool, no doubt. But for my style of driving it was awkward and I never got to the point where i got used to it other then on the highway.

Now if only Tesla would move to a drive by wire system like Lexus has gone to then a yoke with on the fly steering ratio adjustment might be the perfect combination.

Attachments

• 2B936E1B-CB7E-4FEC-B600-DEF87D427D4E.jpeg
    2B936E1B-CB7E-4FEC-B600-DEF87D427D4E.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Reactions: bllydia and Mark II
Now if only Tesla would move to a drive by wire system like Lexus has gone to then a yoke with on the fly steering ratio adjustment might be the perfect combination.
Is that something Tesla could do via software, or would it require a hardware change? I just ordered a new S with the yoke, after a test drive. For the driving I do it the yoke is okay, but if Tesla can improve it later via a software update, so much the better.

Ok, a friend just got 2023 MS with steering wheel and I tried it over the weekend.
Good news: better than the yoke. Three way turn, city driving, etc - all feels much more natural, like a wheel :) No hands crossing, you can put hands everywhere.
Bad news: major controls are still on the wheel. Same issue as with the yoke - you have to remember/look for the buttons when the wheel is turning. Still no center horn.
In summary: yoke < new wheel < traditional wheel.

Do you think having a color that stands out would help even more for people to locate the button in their peripheral vision?
If you have to look, it's probably already too late for the most important horn applications. I use the clear dot as well, and it's helpful to find by touch in a hurry (e.g., someone is backing into you in a parking lot).