Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken their P85D or S85D on a track yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've had your P85D or S85D on the track, what is the power limiting like?

The P85 will limit after a lap or so on a typical road course where there are reports of the S85 lasting around 4 laps without limiting power.

Do the P85D and S85D last any longer on the track than their RWD counterparts?

(ack I meant to post this in the driving dynamics subforum, sorry Mods!)

what would be the point before you even finish 1 lap the batter temp would heat up and car goes into limp mode for a period of time so really you could never track any tesla unless they come up with better cooling for the battery

I'll be taking my P85D to the track late March and will let everyone know how it does if someone else hasn't already.

I have noticed that the coolant pumps on my P85D sound considerably louder than my old P85. They sound like jet turbines when they first spool up. Don't know if that means they are more powerful, but they sure sound like it.

Also, no one has conclusively determined the source of the power limiting. Is it thermal limiting in the battery? Motor? Inverter? Main pack contactors? Some other component? No one here knows for sure.

How much is it? I took a vehicle on a local Colorado track a few years ago and nobody could find a carrier to cover us.

Look up Lockton Affinity HPDE/track day insurance. Cost varies on declared value of the car; I paid c. $200 for $30K of coverage on my Porsche for a two day event. The Model S will obviously be more, but it's totally worth the piece of mind, at least to me. Ymmv.

Well, it is expensive, sure. But what's it worth to not have to worry about whether your primary insurer will cover you?

Going to the track is not a cheap endeavor. Even in my little dentist's Porsche, in the middle run groups, I was looking at $150 or so to for a hotel, $100+ for fuel, whatever the track fee was (250+, usually).

Add to that consumable, like tires (figure at least 1 set a season, at 1600, so probably 200-400 a weekend), brakes (600/season, so 75/weekend), and so on, and it quickly becomes an expensive hobby.

An extra couple hundred bucks to know I'm covered if I have an off-track excursion is really not that unreasonable.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a good idea to buy the insurance. 100%. And the total expense of your track time is entirely up to you - if you are loving it, and can afford it, by all means it's reasonable. I'm cheap, so the $150 track fee is already a tough pill to swallow :) Sounds like you're a pro at track days, let me know if you want a copilot some time.

I'll be taking my P85D to the track late March and will let everyone know how it does if someone else hasn't already.

I have noticed that the coolant pumps on my P85D sound considerably louder than my old P85. They sound like jet turbines when they first spool up. Don't know if that means they are more powerful, but they sure sound like it.

Also, no one has conclusively determined the source of the power limiting. Is it thermal limiting in the battery? Motor? Inverter? Main pack contactors? Some other component? No one here knows for sure.

Great, can't wait to hear your experiences!

It sounds like the P85D might actually be worse on the track wrt power limiting vs. the P85. See below.

that is not the same as having the car on the track where you have to accelerate and decelerate repeatedly....

the P85 actually handles repeat acceleration better than the P85D, I have a video of a P85D and P85 racing repeatedly, during the 2nd or 3rd race the P85 actually pulled away from the P85D.....
Rear Wheel Drive P85 is a Missed Opportunity for Tesla - Page 5

Last edited:
Great, can't wait to hear your experiences!
It sounds like the P85D might actually be worse on the track wrt power limiting vs. the P85. See below.
Rear Wheel Drive P85 is a Missed Opportunity for Tesla - Page 5

I saw that. Seems interesting. Probably similar to how the regular 85 can run full tilt longer than the P85, though I don't know if a P85 at its first limiter step is faster or slower than full power out of a regular 85. Probably slower?

Someone said that TM was running p85d cars last Summer at refuel, never heard any more than that I was probably beaten in the auto x by a and S. Surprised that it wasn't much faster but i guess cornering traction limits and more weight would do that. + my tires were probably better and wider.... Someone should come to the spring enduro in So Oregon w/ a p85d..please

bump!

With this mornings news I'm thinking about selling my P85 for a 70D.

The only con is that is has slower acceleration, but if it has better longevity when lapping a road course it would be a welcome trade off. (The S85 already had much better longevity than the old P85.

Anyone car to share their P85D or S85D experiences while lapping a road course?

Sorry I haven't updated this thread yet. I posted my track experience briefly on two other threads. I'll expand on it a bit here.

A couple of weeks ago I took my P85D to a track day with the local Audi Club at The Ridge Motorsports raceway in Shelton, WA.

Per their website, "The road circuit was penned by Steve Crawford, designer of Thunderhill Raceway Park and is 40 feet wide, 2.47 miles in length, with 16 turns, and has over 300 feet of elevation gain and loss per lap, including the 50 foot plunge down the Ridge Complex."

Weather was 45F - 50F with considerable rain on and off throughout the day.

This was my first time at this particular track and also my first time tracking the P85D. My past track experience is mainly in a modified Audi S4 at Portland International Raceway in Oregon and Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA, and two non-track events with my previous P85 (car control clinic and autocross, and a tour of Maryhill Loops Road).

To the headline (I know, I know, never bury the headline): I experienced NO power limiting at any point during the day.

Brianman was there with his Sig P85 and experienced power limiting on each of his runs.

Important caveat though: This was my first time at this track, I was learning the track, and it was raining, so I wasn't pushing it particularly hard. I averaged 900-1000Wh/mi on each of my four sessions. Brian averaged 1000-1200Wh/mi, so he was definitely pushing it harder. Well, I suppose there could be an efficiency gain with the next gen front motor, but I doubt that was it.

That said, I was regularly passing people in my run group and by the end of the day was lapping the laggards. Also, I hammered it full throttle on the main straight each time up to about 120mph and didn't get power limited. Brian said he had to take it easy on the throttle on the main straight and only hit 90mph and yet still hit power limiting.

The car handled beautifully. After each session during our debrief many people were talking about loosing traction in one particular corner, the RWD drivers in particular, and I had no such problems. The car was balanced and only prone to a little understeer if I really came in too hot into a corner. Power on turn exit was effortless. The Michelin PS2's had insane amounts of grips, even in the wet.

So, all in all I'd say I was _very_ happy with the P85D on the track.

Is it a direct, one for one replacement for my S4? No. That car was nearly 1000 lbs lighter with similar HP/weight ratio, AWD, and a trick torque vectoring rear differential. Was it an equally enjoyable experience on the track? Absolutely.