Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tapped a BlackVue to the domelight to get constant 12V for always on power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice thanks. So did you connect directly into the yellow wire, like the video shows? I think other methods have caused Battery errors after a few months.
Yes the yellow and black wire in the dome light. Used t-tap to tap into the wires. The cable goes in the dome assembly and comes out of the other side of headliner very nicely. Used a zip tie to fish it.

@outie -
Is this the only area you used (yellow and black wires under the dome light) to hook up your dashcam?
Only reason why i'm asking is because I'm seeing all these other threads in different locations (under the footwell area, side of dash, etc) that people are tapping into...which seems much much more complicated. Just wanted to make sure...thx again

@outie -
Is this the only area you used (yellow and black wires under the dome light) to hook up your dashcam?
Only reason why i'm asking is because I'm seeing all these other threads in different locations (under the footwell area, side of dash, etc) that people are tapping into...which seems much much more complicated. Just wanted to make sure...thx again
Yes. I cut the BlackVue cigarette adapter wire and tap into yellow and black in the dome light, no where else.

Reactions: plasmo
I have had this setup (as in the video) for 3 weeks with a Blackvue dual front rear 900 model and no issues. Just cut the Blackvue power cable and removed the cigarette lighter plug, stripped the cable (note that the power cable has the woven metal sheath as ground, and the solitary center insulated wire as the positive), and used Positaps to connect to the yellow and black. It is kind of a tight fit to shove the Positaps and existing connector back into the small aperture provided, but it does work. All good.

• Helpful
Reactions: android04
Thanks @outie and @JPP for your info.

I am fairly confident on the hookup process, BUT does anyone know if there is a video (or photos) already out there showing the steps (i.e. has someone already made a tutorial on this?).... it would be very helpful for people to make sure they are doing the correct steps.
I did some searches, but only able to find video tutorials of tapping into the other 12v areas in the car, and not the dome light.

thanks

Thanks @outie and @JPP for your info.

I am fairly confident on the hookup process, BUT does anyone know if there is a video (or photos) already out there showing the steps (i.e. has someone already made a tutorial on this?).... it would be very helpful for people to make sure they are doing the correct steps.
I did some searches, but only able to find video tutorials of tapping into the other 12v areas in the car, and not the dome light.

thanks
You linked to the video I used in the first post of this page. It’s really obvious what you need to do after opening it up. Just shoot over any question you have after you open it.

So does anyone have any video showing the actual hookup/connection using the domelight yellow and black wires with the dashcam? The video in the original post shows how to access the wires, but doesn't show the actual dashcam connection.
Can someone who has done this take a video or post some pics on how they tapped their wires? thanks!