Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tapped a BlackVue to the domelight to get constant 12V for always on power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed these directions and it worked well except there was some differences to me with color of my blackvue wire.

For me in the blackvue wire there was a yellow and white wire.

This worked for me::
The Yellow wire --> Yellow dome light
The White wire --> Black rear dome light (ground)

• Informative
Reactions: plasmo
Any luck removing the dome light assembly without breaking the gray plastic clips on each end? In the video both of them are broken, especially the one on the right side.
If you remove the assembly by following what Jon did in the video, you will not break anything. He might have broken his the first time he tried it and figured out the better way to do it (as shown in the video). I used an ID card to wedge in the corner and a metal flat blade screwdriver to pop out the black plastic assembly. The main thing is that you stick the screwdriver (or pry tool) far enough to put leverage on the black plastic assembly and not on the grey one.

Reactions: outie
Another reason to hardwire instead of using the cigarette plug. Not sure how it happened but looks like something shorted and blew the fuse and melted the adapter. When using the dome light as a source is it okay not having a fuse inline?

Attachments

• 3155D774-9C9E-4EED-9B3F-4DFE6B26057D.jpeg
    3155D774-9C9E-4EED-9B3F-4DFE6B26057D.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 177
Another reason to hardwire instead of using the cigarette plug. Not sure how it happened but looks like something shorted and blew the fuse and melted the adapter. When using the dome light as a source is it okay not having a fuse inline?
We should be fine with no inline fuse for dashcams. Model 3 has smart fuses, and dome light one will cut off power around 1 amp (somebody in a video measured it, but can't remember who). Blackvue dual dash cams draw less than 0.5 amps.

That said, I have added protection because I used MirrorTap MTX cables to power my dash cam and they include an inline 2 amp fuse.

anyone find a good start-to-finish video tutorial on this yet with the dome light hookup?

I don't have a video, but it's pretty easy... The hardest part was getting the dome light off. Just follow the video that you originally linked.

Uncouple the cable from the domelight. There's a small push in tab that you have to press to release it.

I used Red Posi-taps to wire up the yellow and black wires. After you connect them up, CHECK to make sure they actually pierced the insulation with a multimeter. When you confirm that you have current, then attach the Blackvue wire to the Posi-taps. Finally, stuff the positap and wire combo into the pocket in the header BEFORE hooking it back up to the domelight. If you hook it up to the domelight first, stuffing the cables is going to be so much harder. Here's a pic. I don't do video :)

Still a little confused here.. what happens when people get home and put it in their garage..assuming you have a private garage. You don't need to be recording 9+ hours of darkness.

I have connected my blackvue to this relay.
It can be paired to Tesla homlink and programmed to automatically turn your cam on/off when you leave/arrive home.

I run a wire from the Dom light to passanger footwell and installed the relay there behind the carpeing on the left side.

eMylo DC 12V 1 Channel 433Mhz RF... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VO79M?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Last edited:
It can be paired to Tesla homlink and programmed to automatically turn your cam on/off when you leave/arrive home.

I run a wire from the Dom light to passanger footwell and installed the relay there behind the carpeing on the left side.

eMylo DC 12V 1 Channel 433Mhz RF... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VO79M?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thanks! I actually bought that relay last week. Any tips on pairing? I have the BB battery in the console so I'll probably hook it up somewhere along the path from the camera to the console since I have the wires hidden in the trim. Most likely around the passenger footwell since there's tons of space there.

Can u still use homelink for auto opening the garage door and operating the dashcam?