Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tested the decline of power on the P3 with the decline in total battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not too much into drag racing but when watching some of them on Youtube, having a top SOC was always mentionned as a must.
Which make sense for a given max current, more voltage would give more power.

However, unless you are in a energy saving turtle mode, I wonder if it's something really noticeable?

I would be noticeable. Like you said Volts*Amps= Watts. Current is going to be hard limited at the top end. Voltage is basically the SOC. 4.15V at he top end quickly scaling back to 3.8V or so around 80% and then down from there fairly linearly. An S curve. Do the math and you're down 10% just at 80% and in the lower voltage levels down 25 even 30%. So yeah, to the OP, it should be noticeable.

Not sure I understand you, but I always thought the power output was lower the lower the state of charge, that's why they charge as much as possible when they go tracking.

It is to a small extent, but at the track a small difference matters. The wattage of the battery is the current times the voltage. The current available changes only a bit over most of the charge range, but the voltage changes more. When peak charged the voltage is perhaps 5% higher. The combined effect is noticeable when timing a run.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I’ve just started logging data to answer this question. The first is at 11% SOC the second at 20% SOC. I’ve been too busy the last couple of weeks to get more runs but I’ll post them when I do. Guess I should mention my car is a P3.
2B004366-E95A-41ED-9194-EC394C7DF355.png
7F71BC8C-2BD8-4C96-A777-6085CAD4D3F5.png

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I perceive to notice a small decline in power starting around 80% of battery left. At 50% it’s more noticeable. Has anyone tested this and if so can you point me to the source? Just curious. Thx.

I have a P3 and there is a barely discernible decline in acceleration at progressively lower charge levels. But it's really subtle because even at 20 % state of charge, the car is ungodly fast and will still take just about any combustion car off the line. By the time it gets down to 10% it's definitely noticeable (although it's still faster than most V-8's).

I’d like to see a dyno for an AWD and P3D over various SOC’s. My AWD sure feels slower as it drops below ~85%. By 60% it starts to feel slow. The top end starts to get especially weak below 60 or so, it’s super noticeable if you ask me.

There's some good information and test results in this thread: P3D+ Acceleration

My experience on track suggess the P3D+ in track mode performs in a very similar way from 90% all the way to 10% at least. Looking at data I logged last time I tracked it, there was very little difference in top speeds at the end of the fastest straight (2-3mph tops) between 80% and 10%.

There's some good information and test results in this thread: P3D+ Acceleration

My experience on track suggess the P3D+ in track mode performs in a very similar way from 90% all the way to 10% at least. Looking at data I logged last time I tracked it, there was very little difference in top speeds at the end of the fastest straight (2-3mph tops) between 80% and 10%.

I've noticed significant drop in acceleration at the track below 30%. Below I think about 15% it really falls on its face.

I've noticed significant drop in acceleration at the track below 30%. Below I think about 15% it really falls on its face.
Have you measured it with a data logger or are you going by feel?
What was the ambient temperature at the time?

I ran mine down to 10% a couple of weeks ago (chasing a F488 around) and the only way I knew I was so low was when I glanced at the display. The data I've got bears me out too.

There must be another difference between your experience and mine rather than just SOC alone.

Have you measured it with a data logger or are you going by feel?
What was the ambient temperature at the time?

I ran mine down to 10% a couple of weeks ago (chasing a F488 around) and the only way I knew I was so low was when I glanced at the display. The data I've got bears me out too.

There must be another difference between your experience and mine rather than just SOC alone.

Feel...number of people I pass and the ease at which I pass them. 2 track days with same results. Ambient temp probably around 90. I don't have any data to back it up but I'm 100% confident power is down quite a bit below 20%....30 may be too high. Below 10% the car is a complete dog.