Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone towed with a Model X yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm noticing in the above video and also in two of the new MX's recently delivered in Perth with the tow package, that all have the one piece European tow hitch.

However, if you select the towing package, as I have done for our 100D, it currently says, "Compatible with hitch mount bike and ski carriers". To me this means it has the 2" square receiver which is common in Australia and accepts different tongues and more importantly, my bike carrier. This isn't what's supplied on the most recently delivered Australian 90D's I have seen or the 75D in the above tow test.

I'll be contacting my DS soon for clarification. Here's an article on Teslarati showing the 2" receiver

How to install the Tesla Model X tow hitch receiver

Anybody had theirs delivered in Australia with the 2" square receiver?
Mine came with a poxy 1.25" ball on the euro Swan neck thing which is useless- I have been begging for the 2" ball or better the square receiver but to no avail so far. I even emailed Bosal but surprise- they did not answer.

Hi Jayson

Any update? Just like you I realised we were delivered just the European ball rather than the 2'' hitch (which is supplied in the US). By the text I expected a hitch to be delivered as well (for bike carrier). I contacted Tesla only to be told they had added a ball bike rack to their catalogue (unfortunately not for 5 bikes).

Hi Jayson

Any update? Just like you I realised we were delivered just the European ball rather than the 2'' hitch (which is supplied in the US). By the text I expected a hitch to be delivered as well (for bike carrier). I contacted Tesla only to be told they had added a ball bike rack to their catalogue (unfortunately not for 5 bikes).

No. I'm banging my head against a brick wall. I spoke to my DS the other day and have yet to call Melbourne SC as per his recommendation. The "swan neck" or as I like to call it "donkey dick" is next to useless for me. Bosal would appear to make the part for Tesla but it is not sold separately and only delivered to the North America market. Apparently, I'm told in Australia, it has something to do with "homologation". I'm not convinced. I NEED the 2" receiver. Just like my 200 series Landcruiser currently has and every other serious car in Australia.

Not happy Jan (Jayson)

No. I'm banging my head against a brick wall. I spoke to my DS the other day and have yet to call Melbourne SC as per his recommendation. The "swan neck" or as I like to call it "donkey dick" is next to useless for me. Bosal would appear to make the part for Tesla but it is not sold separately and only delivered to the North America market. Apparently, I'm told in Australia, it has something to do with "homologation". I'm not convinced. I NEED the 2" receiver. Just like my 200 series Landcruiser currently has and every other serious car in Australia.

Not happy Jan (Jayson)

This is a worry. I have a trailer with atypical ball size but have always been able to unscrew the ball from any trailer towing hook and change for my size. This looks like you can't simply change the ball size. Also a lot a bike racks screw into the trailer ball slot. Why can't we simply order and import the US style attachment which would take a whole range of fittings. We have had a Toyota landcruiser and Mercedes sedan in the past which both had fittings with a hitch and removable tow ball attachment so I can't see that Australian standards can be the reason.

Hi Ben,

I've been on a bit of an email mission last night and this morning. I've emailed the Tesla store and asked them to make it global and show all variants of plugs, chargers etc. More importantly I emailed Bosal in the UK and got a very prompt reply from "Steve". I'm reluctant to quote emails on forums but he said, "this is something we neither use, make or stock in the UK", however, he gave me an email address of a colleague at "Oris" in Germany that might be able to help. [email protected] so I replied to Steve with the picture of the spec sticker on the side of the part we need and Cc'd Gunter.

As an aside I located this for a Chevy and it seems like it is an Oris/Bosal part. It could be a stop gap that would have a bit more flexibility than the Swan Neck Tesla wants to give us.

This shows cost, availability and specs

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/ORS01122254020.htm

I just Google image searched the following

chevy ssr oris - Google Search:

BOS01122254020a.jpg

Cheers

Jays

Reactions: BenT and baillies
Having a look at Bjorns trailer hook video which seems to match the picture of the trailer hook in the Australian manual I can see a few issues. Everything is under the car so hooking up chains etc looks like it is going to be a fiddle. There is a cover that needs to be removed to attach the trailer hook and I wonder if this will be an issue with dirt etc. Any feedback on practicality issues from Australian users?

Nice idea on cutting the plastic and leaving it mounted.

I have posted in the "Want to Buy" forum if anyone has a 2'' Hitch for sale. Lets see what happens.

The differences in the US vs Au offerings can be somewhat frustrating. No hitch. No web browser. No homelink (or equivalent). No summons via key fob. Need to hold steering for lane change. Grrr.

As an aside I located this for a Chevy and it seems like it is an Oris/Bosal part. It could be a stop gap that would have a bit more flexibility than the Swan Neck Tesla wants to give us.
This shows cost, availability and specs
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/ORS01122254020.htm
I just Google image searched the following
chevy ssr oris - Google Search:
Jays

From the website this hitch is rated at 2500lbs (1130kg) and a tongue weight of 250lbs (113kg). The Tesla Australian trailer attachment is rated at over 2260kg towing but a tongue weight of only 90 kg. I wonder if the ratings are related to the hitch or use on the respective vehicle. ie, could you tow 2000kg+ if you fitted the Chevy hitch to the Model X?

Last edited:
I've just had an email back from Customer Service at Bosal in Germany. It says, "These attachments are parts we manufacture exclusively for Tesla... We regret that we can't help you in this case". The word "homologation" was also used but I don't understand how that applies to an attachment. Of course I understand how it applies to the tow bar that is bolted to the back of the car.

The hunt continues

Yep. Had a call from "Nathan" service centre manager in Melbourne today. Can't get the hitch in Aus, is investigating further... Homologation was mentioned again and something about a few millimetres, maybe 50mm-51.4mm (2")

At the risk of frustrating James and Nick from the Melbourne SC (Hi to James and Nick if you read this!) even more - I did email them asking for a US contact / product manager to discuss this and other Au restrictions.

I have spent a fair amount with Tesla and I hope I can find someone to have a constructive discussion with (just want to understand the reasoning for the various restrictions and see if I / we can help).

Lets see if it goes anywhere.