Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traded in their 3 for a 21 refresh ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has done this and why you ended up doing it? Any regrets? Build feels more solid? Appreciate the slight interior update?

I did.

For me it made sense financially;
Went from LR + boost -> Performance;
Slightly better range even though I have a Performance now;
Interior is nicer;
Really like the power trunk;
Overall build quality is better.

No regrets, even though the 2021 Performance feels a bit slow at low soc. I am sure this will be corrected with an update.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78 and ucmndd
Meh, I'm grandfathered into free connectivity and paid for FSD which, as of yet, is neither portable nor insurable. Aside from the windows, AWD, and the heat pump, I don't see much point considering my driving habits. My 2018 RWD LR is still the best car I've ever owned and it keeps getting better; even if I'm annoyed about them adding and then breaking voice commands for tuning audio channels.

I'm sure I'll be the weird one who's still driving this same car in 20 years so I'd probably skew the results of any similar question/poll. If the battery pack prices get down to on par of (or lower than) an IC engine, I might have to consider a replacement should mine ever degrade too much or the new cells improve sufficiently (assuming there'll be OEM or third party packs for older cars like mine).

Meh, I'm grandfathered into free connectivity and paid for FSD which, as of yet, is neither portable nor insurable. Aside from the windows, AWD, and the heat pump, I don't see much point considering my driving habits. My 2018 RWD LR is still the best car I've ever owned and it keeps getting better; even if I'm annoyed about them adding and then breaking voice commands for tuning audio channels.

I'm sure I'll be the weird one who's still driving this same car in 20 years so I'd probably skew the results of any similar question/poll. If the battery pack prices get down to on par of (or lower than) an IC engine, I might have to consider a replacement should mine ever degrade too much or the new cells improve sufficiently (assuming there'll be OEM or third party packs for older cars like mine).

3rd party’s name is Rich Rebuilds. He can even make your LR faster than a performance 3. I’d consider his upgrades if I was out of warranty.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
Just curious if anyone has done this and why you ended up doing it? Any regrets? Build feels more solid? Appreciate the slight interior update?
I kind of did. Sold my 2020, then they did he price reduction 2 days later and 0,25% financing, so we bought a new one. Total cost of ownership went down almost $8k, so we saved money by switching (although not the original intent).
Anyway. The 2021 seems better put together, wind noise is down a lot (but the old one might have been particularly bad), and the heat pump and lift ate has been great so far (except the low SOC performance)
None of the updates are big enough that I'd switch without financial incentives.
I think they may provide a future TM3 with the high capacity batteries, but I think most of them will go to the Plaid, roadster and cybertruck. Wouldn't hold my breath for early introduction to the 3.
I have a TM3P.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Is there a thread on the low soc performance issue? I searched but was unable to find one
Don't think there is. When my, and everal other's, TM3P gets down below ~200km of rated range the performance drops significantly. It feels like chill mode, can't easily overtake other cars. More noticeable above ~60km/h.
Some speculate it's the heat pump stealing too much heat from the battery. It's probably an upcoming SW update.

I kind of did. Sold my 2020, then they did he price reduction 2 days later and 0,25% financing, so we bought a new one. Total cost of ownership went down almost $8k, so we saved money by switching (although not the original intent).
Anyway. The 2021 seems better put together, wind noise is down a lot (but the old one might have been particularly bad), and the heat pump and lift ate has been great so far (except the low SOC performance)
None of the updates are big enough that I'd switch without financial incentives.
I think they may provide a future TM3 with the high capacity batteries, but I think most of them will go to the Plaid, roadster and cybertruck. Wouldn't hold my breath for early introduction to the 3.
I have a TM3P.

When the 100 kwh battery is there (which I also think will take some time) I will just do another swap.

So who knows, in two year. But for now I enjoy the 2021.

Don't think there is. When my, and everal other's, TM3P gets down below ~200km of rated range the performance drops significantly. It feels like chill mode, can't easily overtake other cars. More noticeable above ~60km/h.
Some speculate it's the heat pump stealing too much heat from the battery. It's probably an upcoming SW update.

There isn’t much to find about this on the web. Basically it’s the YT video from Teslabjorn and references to that video.

The first drive I had from deliveryto home, I notices that there was some difference, but nothing that alarmed me. Just drove home and arrived at 40 km (25 miles) range.

Now I will not charge to satisfy my curiosity and find out how it behaves with a low soc.

But I am sure it will all be fixed.

I posted this in another thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place for it.

I just traded in a 2020 M3 for a 2021. Here’s why in order of importance:
  1. My 2020 was an SR with just over 210 miles of range, so the 2021 with 260ish was an even bigger range boost for me.
  2. I wanted to upgrade to white interior
  3. Heat pump
  4. Power trunk
  5. Center console refresh
I’m indifferent about the lights. I’m sure they’re wonderful but I thought the ones on my 2020 were too. The chrome delete is kinda a wash (I actually think chrome looks better on the red and blue M3) and I don’t hear any discernible difference in “noise”.

I believe the heat pump definitely made a difference. On delivery day, it was 50 degrees F and raining for my 40 mi drive back home. I had the temp set at 72 and was easily able to drive at the rated Wh/mi. I was never able to do this in my 2020 M3. Small sample size (I’ve literally only driven it that one time so far), but I’m very pleased so far.

I’m not at all a car guy, but I’d say the build quality is fine. My 2020 had panel gaps. I think this one has fewer, but the white dashboard panel wasn’t completely snapped into place (I heard it rattling when I hit the interstate...recognized it immediately as I’ve taken off the one in the 2020) I just applied some pressure with both hands and that fixed it. The doors seem a little harder to shut. Overall, I don’t think build quality is any better or worse. If you’re looking for imperfections, you’ll find them.

I love the interior, I feel like it’s more functional and just looks more elegant with the satin finish, soft touch sliding door and stitching on the sides. The micro-changes like making the buttons on the door satin, labeling the door open button and giving you a flash drive for Sentry Mode (and putting that port in the lock-able glove box) are nice touches. You do, however, lose the armrest tray (which I liked having).

In short, absolutely no regrets. I came home New Years Eve with a better car that I like more than the one I left home with (and a much lower rate on the loan). Cost me a couple thousand but definitely worth it in my case. I wouldn’t have done it just for the refresh, but it nudged me over the edge for sure.

There isn’t much to find about this on the web. Basically it’s the YT video from Teslabjorn and references to that video.

The first drive I had from deliveryto home, I notices that there was some difference, but nothing that alarmed me. Just drove home and arrived at 40 km (25 miles) range.

Now I will not charge to satisfy my curiosity and find out how it behaves with a low soc.

But I am sure it will all be fixed.

hmm I will test this as well. I know 0-60 is impacted when your soc is that low but I thought there was still an adequate amount of passing power. With the stay at home orders in California I haven’t been under 40% soc but maybe once. Apologies for the semi thread hijack

3rd party’s name is Rich Rebuilds. He can even make your LR faster than a performance 3. I’d consider his upgrades if I was out of warranty.

If he’s franchised the Electrified Garage (to my friend or me?) by the time I need a refreshed battery, I’ll definitely check his price/product but not talking anytime soon based on my degradation curve and driving needs. Never got the OTA range increase but still over 300 miles so plenty for me (one of the reasons I wanted LR).

I just took delivery of an LR AWD, trading in a 2019 SR+. The big reason was the additional range but the availability of the refresh upgrades were also enticing. My first impressions are positive. The interior is quieter and the new design features are, in my opinion, quite nice.

Tesla gave us a good trade in price for our SR+ so it all made sense. The build quality is better. We had two minor quality issues with our SR+; none so far with the new car.

We’re happy with the decision.

Reactions: BeeGood
I sold my 2020 Performance for a 2021 AWD Boost. Haven’t looked back. Love the 2021 model and with Boost, i have no need for the extra .5 second speed.

i wanted the longer range and other features. Also helped that the dealer that bought my car priced my value incorrectly and i made out like a bandit :)

(They booked it as a FSD optioned car which it wasn’t. They called a few days later asking me if it had it but by then it was too late. It was their own mistake as i never mentioned it and they never asked.)

Reactions: dale_cooper