Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traded in their MX for an MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2017 MX 100D with every upgrade I could get. LOVE the car! However, although we've never had any issues that required an SC visit sans a replacement windshield, there are a couple things that are now happening that make me just a touch concerned.

Occasionally, the charge port release won't let go of the charger. Usually I just have to push the button a couple times... but will it eventually not release? Dunno! Also, there are a couple times lately where I push the driver's door handle and something moves, but it's not enough to get the door open. If I can push the handle and get the tip of my other finger in the small gap (not easy), I can force the door open - but it fights me the whole way. Plus, when that happens, the auto-door close won't work, and I actually have to reach out and close the door manually! Oh, the inhumanity! :eek:

The wife and I have thrown around the idea of getting the newest technology (newer batts, newer motors, et al), and test drove an MY recently. Love how it drives! And although it's very nicely appointed... when we got back in the X after the test drive, we realized why we got that model originally. Plus the fact that the Y wasn't available when we bought the X ;)

We thought about another refreshed X... but we're retiring and moving into one of our condos that has a fairly small underground parking garage (with my own charging station! Excellent!), and the extra 3" of clearance between the X and the Y might make it easier as our eyes age.

So, I was wondering if anyone has traded (or sold) their MX to move into an MY? Any pros/cons? Best decision ever, or wish you could take it back?

I was in your exact position about a month ago. I traded my wife’s 2016 MX P90D in for a 2021 Model Y LR. Our ownership experience on the MX was a little different than yours, but I think that’s to be expected for the first year of the MX. At about 22k miles it died and Tesla kept it for 4 weeks and ultimately replaced the HV battery pack. Sucked being without it for all that time, but hey, we got a brand new battery pack and the range reset back to 100%.

After that, it just seemed that every couple of months something else went wrong (spine applique came loose breaking the FWD glass, A/C was making an ungodly racket). On top of all that, we were having the memory issues with MCU 1 and were part of the recall, but there was no repair identified yet. So we paid for the MCU 2 upgrade out of pocket, only for the gauge cluster to “blank out” even more than before. Tesla could never diagnose what went wrong here. With all of these issues of course there was the obligatory several-week service appointment wait time.

Our MX was under battery warranty and we had a great 3rd party warranty that covered everything else, but it was getting old going through all this so we started discussing replacing it. We kicked around a new MX, but I didn’t want to spend 6 figures and wait for months. A used MX a few years newer didn’t seem like a good idea because we could inherit similar issues, plus we wanted all the newest technology. Ultimately we landed on a new MY.

My wife cared WAY more about range than acceleration, plus I read the ride in the Performance was really stiff, so we landed on the LR. I immediately paid for acceleration boost and FSD and now I’m a happy man too. Our biggest concerns were we would miss the Self Presenting Doors, FWD, gauge cluster display, 3rd row, and quad seats. In reality, the SPD and FWD were cool, but really a novelty that I’m sure would’ve given us trouble at some point. And when we were honest with ourselves, we rarely used the 3rd row at all.

After it’s all said and done, we’ve had it for about a month now and are thrilled. Honestly, we both wish we’d done it a long time ago. The improvement in build quality in 5 years is absolutely insane and the ride quality and cabin noise are leaps and bounds better than our MX. Not to mention the technology improvements and more than 120 mile increase in range. Also, it took us about a day to get used to not having the gauge cluster display and now I could care less if I had it or not. So, if you want our opinion, it’s the best Tesla decision we’ve ever made.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Thanks @elindley01 ! This is just what we were looking for! We've been so very lucky in that we haven't had NEARLY the issues you've had with your X... but are we just biding our time? This is the main question!

I was unaware of the "Acceleration Boost", and that may be a deciding factor in that we are past that point in our lives where we need a car that can jackrabbit off the line... but when it's needed, it's nice to have! I wasn't looking forward to a stiffer ride, which is what the Performance model seems to offer... so this will be a great middle ground between the LR and the P. Not sure what the boost does to the range... but it shouldn't be much, I would think.

In 3.5 years of ownership, we've used the 3rd row twice. So that's not an issue. Cabin noise is a biggie for the wife, as I seem to get a bit more hard of hearing as I age... but she said the cabin noise in the Y is much lower than our X... I have to believe she knows what she's talking about ;)

I'm a big dude at 6'4 and 290#s... and I was pleasantly surprised that the Y offered almost as much room as our X... enough so that it's almost a non-issue. This is why we gave our M3 to my nephew.... I really wanted for it to work, but ultimately it just was too tight for comfort.

Range is, for us, only slightly better... currently at about 296 @ 100% and the Y is about 320-ish. So not much there. But I understand the current batteries are better than the pack that is in my X?

Argh! This is SO MUCH more difficult that I thought! The added stress is that currently our trade-in is more than a completely fully loaded Y... so the excess will probably cover the taxes, etc... Basically I can get a completely new vehicle with all the latest tech, for zero! (trying to ignore that my X has lost over $13K in value every year... but that's not why we buy the car, right?!?)

I wasn't looking forward to a stiffer ride, which is what the Performance model seems to offer... so this will be a great middle ground between the LR and the P.
As someone who came from..."less luxury than Tesla" prior to owning a MY, I would have to say the ride is abysmal. As stiff, or stiffer, than my old 4x4 Tundra and Tacomas, or about on-par for my 1984 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have a Dec2016 P90DL X with FSD and white vegan interior since last year . I was cross shopping and test driving lots of X and Y last year. It's universally agreed among everyone that the Model X (always has air suspension) has a superior ride quality to the Model Y (always has stiff coil suspension). Unless you have an early 2016 X with some sort of suspension problem. Smooth ride quality (esp on highways) is the main reason I went with the X , but also I love the massive windshield, self-presenting driver door, dual screens, larger 17 inch screen, 3 rows, scarcity, and resale value. If I wanted more range for cheaper, twisty road handling, longer warranty, quick opening and closing doors, not drawing attention, and didn't mind a bumpy ride, then I'd go with the Y. I also have a Model 3 Long Range but I rarely drive it because the X is so awesome.

The first gen air suspension on S/X wasn’t great. I was in the market for a 2017 X and passed on it due to the ride quality (and FWD rubbing off paint at the time). Later bought a new 2019 Raven S with revised air suspension. I probably would’ve bought a Raven X back then but none were available for test drive at the time and I still had bad memories of the 2017 X. I would rate the ride quality of our 2021 Y Long Range above the pre-Raven X (2016-early 2019) and below the Raven/Palladium S/X air suspension (May 2019-Present).

Had a late 2019 MX long range (raven), sold it and used the proceeds to pay for majority of both a new 2022 M3 standard range and MY (before recent prices increases).

I much prefer both M3 and MY to the MX. Ever since I bought the X, I always thought the cabin was too loud with both motor whine and tire roar, especially for a $95K car. My 2018 Leaf was quieter! Thought the suspension was okay, but nothing special. Also, had the judder issue that Tesla could never completely get rid of. Just felt like an older design and I'd be better off with the newer designs of M3 and MY, plus newer battery tech.

I like the MY much better than MX - quieter, smoother, just as fast, enough room and practicality. The MY suspension is a bit too harsh, but livable. Don't miss the extra screen or other MX features.

My wife has a 2017 X 100D. I have a 2022 MYP.

I prefer the Y for around town just because it's smaller and more efficient (and partly because it doesn't stand out as much). But I prefer the X for trips, and my wife prefers the X all the time (mostly for reasons below, but partly because it stands out more).

The Y is:
  • cheaper
  • more efficient (saves money, faster charging, etc)
  • smaller and so easier to park, wash, etc
  • quicker, at least for us given that the Y is a Performance and the X is not. Obviously that depends on which models you are looking at
  • has 40/20/40 rear seating with hatch-area controls to drop them, whereas the X just has 60/40 rear seating
The X can:
  • tow more (which we need, for a trailer)
  • easier to get our grandson in the back - the falcon wing doors aren't what I would have designed, but they really do make for easy ingress/egress
  • has more space (I can just fit my bike in the X, but it won't go in the Y, for example. Or I can fit a Modern Spare in the subfloor of the X, but not the Y)
  • has easier-to-use autopilot controls (I've written a detailed blurb on that in the past)
  • has more screen space - I lived with a single screen on a 3 for years and it's OK, but I really prefer having the extra space
  • has a better ride
  • has the big windshield, which is really nice when you are driving through national parks and such
  • we have a 5-seater, but for those with 6 or 7 seats, the third row is more usable
  • easier to use a bike rack with, as the receiver is not as recessed
If you need the extra towing capacity, cargo space or 3rd-row space, the X is clearly a better choice. If you don't NEED any of those...then pretty much all of the X advantages fall in to the "nice to have" category, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra money to you.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
My wife has a 2017 X 100D. I have a 2022 MYP.

I prefer the Y for around town just because it's smaller and more efficient (and partly because it doesn't stand out as much). But I prefer the X for trips, and my wife prefers the X all the time (mostly for reasons below, but partly because it stands out more).

The Y is:
  • cheaper
  • more efficient (saves money, faster charging, etc)
  • smaller and so easier to park, wash, etc
  • quicker, at least for us given that the Y is a Performance and the X is not. Obviously that depends on which models you are looking at
  • has 40/20/40 rear seating with hatch-area controls to drop them, whereas the X just has 60/40 rear seating
The X can:
  • tow more (which we need, for a trailer)
  • easier to get our grandson in the back - the falcon wing doors aren't what I would have designed, but they really do make for easy ingress/egress
  • has more space (I can just fit my bike in the X, but it won't go in the Y, for example. Or I can fit a Modern Spare in the subfloor of the X, but not the Y)
  • has easier-to-use autopilot controls (I've written a detailed blurb on that in the past)
  • has more screen space - I lived with a single screen on a 3 for years and it's OK, but I really prefer having the extra space
  • has a better ride
  • has the big windshield, which is really nice when you are driving through national parks and such
  • we have a 5-seater, but for those with 6 or 7 seats, the third row is more usable
  • easier to use a bike rack with, as the receiver is not as recessed
If you need the extra towing capacity, cargo space or 3rd-row space, the X is clearly a better choice. If you don't NEED any of those...then pretty much all of the X advantages fall in to the "nice to have" category, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra money to you.
The point about Modern Spare caught my eye. So the 5-seat X is the ONLY Tesla that can completely stow a Modern Spare out of sight? Up till now I simply thought it wasn’t possible with any Tesla (except for extreme modifications).

I just sold my 2020 Model X LR+. I had a MYLR before and I’m getting a MYP.

Pros of X:
-air suspension
-a little bit more space
-more range
-looks cooler

Cons of X:
-louder cabin noise
-constant shudder issues
-FWD inconsistencies of opening/closing
-wind noise that was never corrected

Pros of Y:
-more efficient vehicle
-more fun to drive
-more compact to fit in smaller spaces
-faster processing user interface
-simpler design

Cons of Y
-less space
-stiff ride?

Everyone will have their own opinions but I think the MYP is the best built Tesla for longevity.

Reactions: Oreodriver
The point about Modern Spare caught my eye. So the 5-seat X is the ONLY Tesla that can completely stow a Modern Spare out of sight? Up till now I simply thought it wasn’t possible with any Tesla (except for extreme modifications).

Yes, the X 5-seater fits a Modern Spare in the subfloor area quite nicely. See some description and not-so-great photos in the 3 posts starting HERE.

I have heard that you can get a Modern Spare under the Y floor if you make some modifications, but have not looked at it in any detail. HERE is a youtube video showing how one guy did it.

Yes, the X 5-seater fits a Modern Spare in the subfloor area quite nicely. See some description and not-so-great photos in the 3 posts starting HERE.

I have heard that you can get a Modern Spare under the Y floor if you make some modifications, but have not looked at it in any detail. HERE is a youtube video showing how one guy did it.
Thank you for the link to the photos! It would seem having the spare tire makes it a little bit challenging to lift the cover of the deep trunk well, nonetheless it does fully fit a spare and that trunk well cover is no longer available as you say. Man, that’s a big plus for the 5-seater — ability to stow a spare.

We had an S and now a Y. Part of me still longs for a used X but still undecided on which seat configuration. I don’t want a 5-seat X because it would be too similar to our 5-seat Y, yet the 6- or 7-seater both have their drawbacks too. Only thing I miss from our S are the dual screens. Other than that our LR Y is phenomenal and the wife ends up driving it more than I get to. Sigh.

Last edited: