Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traded their 3 for a Y and regretted it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting on a Y and was wondering if anyone had switched from a LR 3 and regretted it, and if so why? I really like the 3 but kids getting big and everyone seems to like to take everything with them on even the shortest trips, so bigger boot would be nice. I am a bit worried it will be boring.

I have both, personally I'm quite happy getting into the Y vs 3, very little between them, if I had to sell one now I'd keep the Y without question (family and so on)

Wife picked the 3 over a BMW SUV for the last year, now picks the Y over the 3.

Y feels slightly more polished than the 1 year old 3, minor details but they add up

big kids btw are useless on the 3, tall people and the back seat of the 3 are very bad

I'm amazed by how many people buy cars based on the comfort of children, my 18yo and 14yo sit in the back of my 3 without issue. I did a test drive of a Y last weekend and really couldn't see anything that benefited me. I would end up doing tip runs, and struggling around car parks with a family wagon that had body roll on roundabouts.
I get that people with large dogs, or regular needs to transport silly amounts of stuff would like it, but it's a compromise to drive. If we got down to one car when we retire in 6 years then maybe we will need that compromise.

I'm amazed by how many people buy cars based on the comfort of children, my 18yo and 14yo sit in the back of my 3 without issue. I did a test drive of a Y last weekend and really couldn't see anything that benefited me. I would end up doing tip runs, and struggling around car parks with a family wagon that had body roll on roundabouts.
I get that people with large dogs, or regular needs to transport silly amounts of stuff would like it, but it's a compromise to drive. If we got down to one car when we retire in 6 years then maybe we will need that compromise.

I agree that the Model 3 is actually pretty spacious and comfortable in the back for passengers, plenty of room. I also tend to agree with you on driving experience.

We are trading our 3 in for a Y for three specific reasons, none of which involve space for a family as they have either flown the nest or travel with us rarely:
- Mrs interbear now loves the Tesla driving experience but having had a compact SUV previously, much prefers a higher driving position.
- The dog can go in the hatchback instead of the back seat.
- Our "built in the USA" Model 3 is approaching 3 years old so a new, improved Tesla with up to date additions and a new warranty is appealing.

We did test drive the MY before ordering and hope to have no regrets!

Reactions: Kenners
- Our "built in the USA" Model 3 is approaching 3 years old so a new, improved Tesla with up to date additions and a new warranty is appealing.

We did test drive the MY before ordering and hope to have no regrets!

I certainly have no regrets.

I too traded a 2019 USA M3 LR for the MY LR, due to trade-in value and renewing the warranty, but actually I feel the car is also better for my needs

- the build is better, it is more solid and quieter
- the efficiency is better due to the heat pump, trips that took 10% now takes 7%, and I'm on the 20" wheels
- I prefer the raised driving position
- the family prefer being in the back
- the rear boot space and electric hatch makes packing for trips much easier

To be fair some of these would also apply to trading in for new heat pump M3.
I find the ride no worse than the M3.

Negatives
- It is not as fast as my M3, I had AB on that, but then I find the SUV feel does not encourage using the performance the same way my M3 did, which is better for my license.
- I'm about 2.5 months in to ownership, with 2.5k miles on the clock, and I still feel that the car is wider than the M3, and knowing the wheels are vulnerable to scrapes I dislike small gaps by curbs or tight turns. I'm sure it's something I'll adapt to, and worry less about.

Having read all the comments so far, I see

B3A0C4F2-2DDB-49D4-9423-E519494EBBA4.jpeg

I'm amazed by how many people buy cars based on the comfort of children, my 18yo and 14yo sit in the back of my 3 without issue.

My 14 year old and 11 year old sat in the back of my 996 Targa without a problem, and on cello practice days it sat in the passenger seat and stuck out the roof.
That was 2016.
Times change, and human growth hormone changes things. Why would I buy a car for my childrens comfort? Because I like their company. So I bought a 3. Taller people may need a Y. YMMV

I’m curious…. How did you approach this with ALD? is there just enough equity in the 3 that it’s financially beneficial for them to get it back?

I'm just about to trade in my ~18 month old 3 and Tesla are giving me about £1,000 less than I originally paid for it. I think "just enough equity" might be understating things a little with the current state of the 2nd hand prices.

I'm just about to trade in my ~18 month old 3 and Tesla are giving me about £1,000 less than I originally paid for it. I think "just enough equity" might be understating things a little with the current state of the 2nd hand prices.
Poor phrasing on my part. I meant what you’re suggesting - that there is probably lots of equity and this may be the primary reason they were willing to just get the car back asap. I’d be interested to hear from the person that posted about ald if this is the case though.

I traded my 2020 Fremont M3 for a MY and there’s much I prefer in the MY. The M3 was much more chuckable through bends but for 90% (totally unscientific estimate) of things the MY wins. If I regret anything it was selling my MS for the M3 but at the time the MCU upgrade was over 2k with no radio option, but thats another story..

Key differences for me:
- A lot of design learnings have gone into the MY over the M3, boot hinges which sounds daft but the M3 boot hinge does look like it's made from meccano, ability to fold the rear seats using a swtich, rear seats that recline slightly
- Also, mud flaps and wheel arch protectors etc all seem more solid. My rear wheel arch lining started to come away on my M3 after 20k miles, I don't get the feeling that will happen with the MY, and the mud flaps aren't an after thought.
- Over my 2020 Fremont M3, and I'm sure are also true if the alternative is changing to a new M3, the build is noticeably better. Range also seems slightly better on the MY due to the slightly bigger battery and not much of a drop in efficiency. My M3LR used to charge to about 290 at 100%, the MYLR charges to over 310, and while these are the EPA ratings, in practice it translates to slightly better real world range unless you're booting it on the motorway where the MY efficiency seems to go get a little worse relatively.
- Other differences are also linked to the general evolution such as the doors and centre console changing.
- I do find the ride a bit worse on the MY, it feels stiffer, and it's kind of nuts as the MY feels like a car that should be softer on the suspension not stiffer. This has been discussed elsewhere.

From what I'm reading about falling trade in values and increases in MY prices I imagine the cost to change has gone up a fair bit compared to what I paid. It cost me about £10k to change going to a car 2 years younger, were the differences worth 10k? Difficult to justify at 10k, and if the gap was more, I wouldn't have done it.

I’m curious…. How did you approach this with ALD? is there just enough equity in the 3 that it’s financially beneficial for them to get it back?
I just emailed them asking for an early termination and as the car is under mileage and only 6 months old I guess they will make money on it due to second hand market.

I was very surprised to be honest.

Reactions: Casss