Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traded their 3 for a Y and regretted it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had a 3 on order and after driving the Y switched to that. The Y has so much more space and a nicer driving position with no compromises over the 3.
No compromises? I guess if you tell yourself that enough times you can believe it. It also depends on your requirements, if you need to move large goods or dogs regularly then the 3 would be the compromise.

The Model 3 is what most people would call a sportier feeling drive, the suspension is better set up, you don't get body roll (like you do in the Y on roundabouts).

On my test drive I was surprised that the acceleration on the Y didn't feel noticeably slower, and the range is practically the same which is quite remarkable really.

They are 90% the same car, just the Y swaps the final 10% for size in exchange for handling. Exactly as you would expect for an SUV.

Just my two pence I prefer the look of the 3, I test drove the Y and admittedly was impressed with the boot.
But really the family and surfboard make it in the 3 perfectly fine and very comfortable.
The order for the next one is another 3.

Reactions: GRiLLA
The Y feels too big for me.. I'm a fan of smaller cars (not that the 3 fitted that bracket either) but the suspension is better (the 3 used to hit potholes and speed bumps like it was hitting a wall.. the Y rolls over them and even bounces a bit sometimes) and it's way better for carrying the dogs.. and it was £50/month cheaper..

I too am considering a switch. I have a 22 Model 3 LR and a Model Y reservation for delivery in a month. While I have absolutely loved the zippiness, handling, and range of the M3, my commute to work has some bumpy sections which make for a rough ride at times. This is my primary reason to consider a switch. For those of you who have made the switch, do you find the ride comfort significantly improved on roads that clearly need a repair?

I have a late '21 M3 LR and test drove a MY LR at Tesla gatwick. My recollections: slower, bigger (in terms of driving experience), less agile and possibly a bit too tall as I could not get out of it without my weight fully on the seat bolster edge (I'm a bit stumpy and couldn't quite reach the ground, ha ha). I liked the spacious feel over the M3 but the boot is not as big as I expected and it was pretty easy to get out of shape in the handling stakes when driving enthusiastically. It felt much slower than the M3LR.

Another thing I liked was the roof glass. When you sit in the back seats you get a lovely view, with nothing in the way. Apart from that it is just a M3 that's been stretched taller. I didn't spend enough time with it to discern any better fit and feel, though.

I guess it's a matter of trying it to see if it fits your needs, like anything else you may be considering purchasing.

Where I live there are lots of 3s and Ys which you see and regularly park beside on a daily basis.
Frankly I now believe that the 3 is starting to look dated as we get used to the better shaped Model Y.
There is no comparison in value for money particularly since the Model 3 and Y are now similarly priced.
One the Y is a car; the Model 3 is starting to look like a toy? Delighted I got rid of mine at the start of the year.
The 3 is a bit like the Porche Boxter - never looked like a proper Porche?

I too am considering a switch. I have a 22 Model 3 LR and a Model Y reservation for delivery in a month. While I have absolutely loved the zippiness, handling, and range of the M3, my commute to work has some bumpy sections which make for a rough ride at times. This is my primary reason to consider a switch. For those of you who have made the switch, do you find the ride comfort significantly improved on roads that clearly need a repair?
I think you’re in the US and you’ve ended up in the UK sub forum and there’s is some debate about differences in suspension from different factories, but I would say my MY is worse on rough/poor roads than my 2020 M3 and if there is a weakness in the MY, that’s it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tensorflow
I went the other way from Y to 3. I have to be honest, I've never looked back. For driving dynamics, the 3 is far better than the Y. As for efficiency, the Y was worse then even my '22 S and far worse than my 3.

The boot is surprisingly big on the 3 if not as tall. I routinely but 4 adults along with a car seat for our kid in 2-3 hour drives with no issues. For me the Y was more an appliance and the 3 far more engaging. If you REALLY need more back seat room, then get the Y. If you only use it sometimes, and it is a nice to have rather than a must have, buy the 3.

The Y just felt sluggish when not fully charged. I added the boost which almost brought it up to a stock 3 LR in performance (no impact on range). With our 3 we added boost and it is a really quick car with pretty good range. In the real world we got about 50 miles more per charge on the 3 vs Y using it the same. The Y is enough bigger my wife didn't like driving it as much.

The Y isn't a bad car, but it clearly isn't an engaging car to drive. If you just need a family hauler then it might be a good fit. I wanted something more fun to drive on a daily basis. The Y alway felt clumsy to drive compared to the 3.

The Y alway felt clumsy to drive compared to the 3.

Honestly guys storm in a tea cup comes to mind!! Having some perspective on just how good ANY Tesla is to drive vs what else is out there is always good.

If you want to feel what a 'clumsy' car actually is like to drive, try one of these fully loaded with 6 people + luggage going around the mountains in South Portugal :).

48081953228_b158e9255c_c_d.jpg

Or even more disappointing any current Volvo SUV with one their 'inhouse' autogear boxes.....a 'premium' car that really struggles to go in straight line without lurching let alone handle any bends!

• Funny
Reactions: DeejUK
Honestly guys storm in a tea cup comes to mind!! Having some perspective on just how good ANY Tesla is to drive vs what else is out there is always good.

If you want to feel what a 'clumsy' car actually is like to drive, try one of these fully loaded with 6 people + luggage going around the mountains in South Portugal :).

48081953228_b158e9255c_c_d.jpg

Or even more disappointing any current Volvo SUV with one their 'inhouse' autogear boxes.....a 'premium' car that really struggles to go in straight line without lurching let alone handle any bends!
Shock news, 20 grand van derived bus handles worse than 60 grand car.

Finding a worse car will never make the ride of the Model Y a velvet carpet experience on poor roads.