Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traded their 3 for a Y and regretted it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This 100%. The suspension on the LR Y is crap and if the Performance solves that and brings back some handling and zip it would really be the perfect car. As it stands I miss the 3 LR which had much better suspension than the Y (and my old SR+ for some reason) handled great and perfect level of speed for me. But lanky family needs the space these days and Mrs prefers the driving position (tbh I probably do too).

Last edited:
Honestly guys storm in a tea cup comes to mind!! Having some perspective on just how good ANY Tesla is to drive vs what else is out there is always good.

If you want to feel what a 'clumsy' car actually is like to drive, try one of these fully loaded with 6 people + luggage going around the mountains in South Portugal :).

48081953228_b158e9255c_c_d.jpg

Or even more disappointing any current Volvo SUV with one their 'inhouse' autogear boxes.....a 'premium' car that really struggles to go in straight line without lurching let alone handle any bends!
I feel your pain. I spent 6 months and 20,000 kms shepherding a fully loaded Fiat Double diesel around Turkey. It would sort of lurch around the turns in the mountains before it would take a set in the bend. Given a steep enough hill I did find out it would crack 160 kmh.

This is just a bizarre comment/observation - after 6k miles in my MY driven regularly down to 15% I just don't get this?
Not really. Maybe you just have low expectations or your other vehicles are slow. Or you don't exercise the throttle heavily. Go get a dragy or Racebox (highly accurate GPS accelerometers for measuring performance) and see how much the performance falls off for you. I did a LOT of runs on various Teslas. The 0-60 mph times stay pretty good when you are 70% and above. Depending on the model you might might slow up about .1 to .2 second to 60 mph. By the time you get down to 20% charge you are typically more than a .5 seconds slower and your top end acceleration has really started to fall off.

Here is an interesting article from Road and Track, an American car enthusiast magazine. Don't know if any of you follow Dragtimes on YouTube but it is Brooks car from a few years ago.

Not really. Maybe you just have low expectations or your other vehicles are slow. Or you don't exercise the throttle heavily. Go get a dragy or Racebox (highly accurate GPS accelerometers for measuring performance) and see how much the performance falls off for you. I did a LOT of runs on various Teslas. The 0-60 mph times stay pretty good when you are 70% and above. Depending on the model you might might slow up about .1 to .2 second to 60 mph. By the time you get down to 20% charge you are typically more than a .5 seconds slower and your top end acceleration has really started to fall off.

Here is an interesting article from Road and Track, an American car enthusiast magazine. Don't know if any of you follow Dragtimes on YouTube but it is Brooks car from a few years ago.

this may be correct, but in most situations I can’t imaging many people with 20% battery left are dragging it out at the traffic lights - more likely checking they can get home or to the next charger ok. 0.5s to 60 will barely be noticeable in normal use

Reactions: RPM51 and Toblerone
this may be correct, but in most situations I can’t imaging many people with 20% battery left are dragging it out at the traffic lights - more likely checking they can get home or to the next charger ok. 0.5s to 60 will barely be noticeable in normal use
My point is it is noticeable for me even in the 0-60 times. At speed it is even more obvious for me. A lot would depend on your environment too.

The car just felt dull in response to throttle input. I am not saying it was slow, but I felt it. Others may not care, but to ignore that there isn't an impact, isn't honest. One the reasons I added boost to my 3 and Y is that regardless of any charge level except may less than 10%, the car was quicker than it was stock even at 100% charge.

My MY LR was a 7 seater. Conveniently Tesla never lists any 0-60 times for the 7 seater. Stock it was running just a bit over 5 seconds 0-60. One of the big plusses for a Tesla as far as I am concerned is the acceleration. I didn't buy a Tesla to have 5 second 0-60 times, and that was with a full charge.

Get down into the 50% range or less, and I was up to about 5.3 or so. Not where I wanted to be. Now if I was in heavily congested traffic all the time, it would really matter as you can't exercise the throttle that much anyway.

Not everyone cares about acceleration but there is some minimum level that I find enhances the enjoyment of driving. For me that is low 4 seconds 0-60 or better.

I have no regrets but mine was an early 3 so I really do notice a difference in the perceived build quality. I also think the hifi is better but that might be because I don’t need to increase the volume so much in the Y. I guess if I was coming from a very recent 3 the differences wouldn‘t be as noticeable.

A few weeks in with my MY LR now. No regrets whatsoever. Delighted with it. Here’s why:
  • Build quality of my 2022 Shanghai MY is significantly and noticeably better than the 2019 Fremont M3 it replaced. Feels more like a premium car.
  • Refinement - less noise when driving.
  • Driving experience - being slightly higher is better but I don’t feel I’ve lost anything in terms of speed / acceleration / driving fun.
  • Space - obviously it’s more spacious inside. Our dog is loving the hatchback. The rear seat space for passengers is huge too.
I’ve also found no reason to complain about the ride quality / suspension, on a variety of roads it’s been fine. Perhaps I’m used to the firmer ride as the M3 was pretty firm in that respect. The MY is fine.

Reactions: Toblerone
Glad you like your car so far! I think it likely the Shanghai as well as Austin MYs will be better than their Fremont counterparts. I will also say that compared to the 2019 M3 I drove, my 2022 Fremont M3 is worlds better as well. A lot of incremental improvements over time that are pretty obvious.

I do wish they had made the M3 a hatchback like every other car they currently build. The boot on the M3 is pretty big but not as accessible since it is not a hatch. I am constantly amazed how much I can fit in my S which has the hatchback. It basically replaced my Y for hauling stuff.