Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tried DIY-ing the Hatch/Lift-Gate alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hatch was not properly aligned upon delivery: the driver side of it was actually rubbing against the driver's side tail light when opening or closing so I had it "fixed" by the SC. They were able to get it to not rub anymore but the alignment itself is a bit more wonky from an aesthetic point. When closed it is not flush with the bumper and it almost seems as if the hatch itself is "twisted" counter-clockwise. I honestly don't trust the SC to fix it any better if I take it back with a higher chance of introducing other issues so I want to take stab at DIY-ing it. I figure this would involve loosening the bolts on the hinge up top and was wondering if anyone else has attempted this for pointers. EDIT: I have also played with the rubber stops and those don't make the adjustments needed.

Last edited:
I’m taking mine in to service this Saturday to fix misaligned rear hatch. I thought about it this very thing before I made the appt. I’m sure the hatch is heavy and loosening those bolt will put you in a difficult situation unless you have lots extra hands. Also, bolt can only be loosened with hatch up so you have to measure and guess how much adjustment you have to make then close to find out. I would think this is going to take multiple attempts.

There was at least one huge thread on this, with lots of advice in how to do the adjustments yourself. I think the factory adjustments are better these days (my late 2021 build is fine) but it's still a potential issue and a good thing to know about:

Hi! I actually have the same issue with my 2022 Model Y. Does your hatch look like mine? I just noticed today that the left side of the hatch literally touches the taillight and has been rubbing against it and now has the paint somewhat rubbed off? Just wondering if this should be taken into the SC to get realigned but also scared they’ll make something else worse haha.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 8650D4CB-043D-4440-A1E2-E4511DFFA248.jpeg
    8650D4CB-043D-4440-A1E2-E4511DFFA248.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 413
  • BF759C59-5875-4CF2-834C-90B90FB6192D.jpeg
    BF759C59-5875-4CF2-834C-90B90FB6192D.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: JimInAllen
Hi! I actually have the same issue with my 2022 Model Y. Does your hatch look like mine? I just noticed today that the left side of the hatch literally touches the taillight and has been rubbing against it and now has the paint somewhat rubbed off? Just wondering if this should be taken into the SC to get realigned but also scared they’ll make something else worse haha.

Thanks!
Did they fix?

We got our first Tesla March 27 which was a 2022 demo M3 Performance from Tesla dealer. Love the car but have a couple issues. The glove box light did not work and while researching that I saw how the glove box was supposed to open which was soft and ours just fell open. The other issue, hence why I am replying to this thread, has become much more serious which is the power lift gate.

The first couple times we opened the lift gate it worked fine, but then it would open halfway, beep twice and stop. I researched on this site and found a few current posts about this issue and that said it was a software update that caused the problem. Couple days later we got an update, and the issue was not resolved. I also found a thread that explained how you could recalibrate the lift gate by opening all the way, manually in our case, and holding in the close button until it beeps several times. Tried that and it did not fix the problem either.

So, I entered a Service request on the app for the glove box and the lift gate. Mobile tech arrived and swapped out the glove box fixing that issue. Then he looked at the lift gate and quickly said it is not a software problem. He said he thought the power actuator arm was bad or bent. He said to enter a new Service request which I did. The part had to be ordered and took a couple weeks and while waiting on that the lift gate got worse and would no longer open at all. It would just beep and move slightly. I reported the problem had worsened on the ticket and they did come out earlier than was then scheduled.

The next mobile tech then installed new actuator arm and it made it ever worse. Now the lift gate will not close and catches on the rear glass and the metal on the other side. The Tech was stumped and after trying several things including adjusting the hinges decided she could not fix it and I would need to come into the service department. It took us a good while to finally get the lift gate closed and it very misaligned now dropping way below the pillar on the left side. The Tech said she had never seen anything like it. Scheduled to take it on Friday 4/29/22 and leave it. Hopefully they can figure it out. Little concerned about the paint that has been scrapped off on the edge of the lift gate from hitting the glass and pillar on the way down.

In the pictures you can see at first when it opened partially and then the next 3 are from yesterday after the second Tech was here and we had so much trouble closing it and how it has dropped down way lower than is should be.
pic 5.jpg
pic 4.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic1.jpg