TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has Anyone Tried To Use USB Accessories?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Pmacafee, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Pmacafee

Pmacafee Member

Has anyone tried to see if the USB ports can be used for a keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.?

2. Elshout

Elshout Member

Certainly iPhones, Pads and etc. work as well as any memory stick with music. The USB ports are for input, not output. Doubt if a mouse would work.

3. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I saw a thread somewhere where someone used a mouse and it actually popped a cursor on the screen. I haven't tried it myself to verify though.

4. peahle

peahle Member

works well for keybord and mouse

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Various threads have collected information. USB ethernet adapters do not work. USB hard drives do work (at least my low-power 500GB 2.5" drive does) as do (obviously) USB sticks and the like. The earlier reply notes that mouse works but keyboard does not (although it may have been the manufacturer).

- - - Updated - - -

If the keyboard does work, I'd be curious to see if ctrl-alt-f1 works. :)

6. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

If I plug in my Leap Motion controller, I wonder if I could drive the Model S with hand gestures? "Hey Mom, why is that man waving his hands?"

7. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Only had a Mac USB keyboard and an ancient logitech mouse to play around with, but seems that typing in text fields works fine, most other keystrokes are ignored. Hitting control-option-f1 seemed to immediately darken the touchscreen, but that was about all, it came back on in a few seconds.

Mouse behavior was more than I was expecting, the scroll wheel actually worked for zooming in / out in the nav app! The cursor was indicated as a small blue dot.

8. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

I posted a detailed description of my successes in this thread, including pictures and videos of the mouse and keyboard in action.