Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone upgraded their S to a new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my car was at the Service centre they loaned me a brand new Model S 75D with 285 miles on it, Mine is 2017 70.

I have to say I was underwhelmed with 2 years of advances, the centre screen graphics are a little smoother and Careoke, the main console had slightly nicer visualizations.

This car didn't have EAP which means I was missing the lane changes on the motorway and it didn't seem to be able to AP on a road I normally use mine on.

It did have nicer seats with lumbar and power headrests, and 5 heated seats.

Nothing about it wanted me to get a newer car though. The only mildly nice thing was the power trunk.

Has anyone found some good reason other than increased range to buy a newer of the same model?

Where is the MUST have feature?

"75D" isn't brand new is it? They were making "Standard Range" for a while but even those are discontinued. 75D sounds like a slightly newer version of your car but if you're shopping ask for a Raven test drive. You'll know it's new because they don't put battery size on back since last year.

I wonder when the shift was in the UK? This one said 75D on the back but it was registered on a 69 plate which means September 2019 to February 2020. Perhaps it was old stock with only 285 miles on the clock.

Service centres have to get their loaners somewhere

Last edited:
Take this in the gentle, friendly spirit it is intended.... :)

Your upgrade path from your 2017 70 S is to Model 3 (or Model Y if you prefer)

If you want to be impressed by the changes, drive a recent Model 3
I tried a 3 already, it was a toss up between a 2 year old S or a new 3, and not counting the depreciation for driving new off the lot, the S is just a nicer car to be in IMHO. The 3 was OK, but the S feels nicer.

Compared to our 2012 S P85, there have been many changes since the early models.

Compared to our 2017 S 100D, there haven't been as many changes. Range has increased about 20%, though the current S still doesn't have V3 supercharging. Our 2017 S has MCU1/AP2. We can upgrade to MCU2, but would lose all radio - while a new S would still have FM/HD/XM radio. New vehicles have the newer side cameras and come with the latest FSD computer. And new vehicles come with the wireless phone charger - though we've already ordered a 3rd party wireless phone charger, similar to what Tesla is offering in new vehicles.

The primary differences are the extra range and the ability to have MCU2 with radio.

Briefly looked at trading in our S 100D instead of spending $2500 on a no-radio MCU2 upgrade, and unless Tesla provides an option to keep radio, we'll likely stay with our S 100D for a few more years and wait for more changes - 400+ mile range/V3 supercharging, ...

I had a 2017 75D and traded up for a 2020 100D this week. I keep telling everyone it’s like an entirely different car. They packed what would normally be decade worth of upgrades into 3 years. Here’s the list of things upgraded in my case:
  • 370 miles of range Vs 258
  • Hardware 3.0 computer vs 2.0
  • Premium sound system
  • MCU2 with Tesla Theater & Arcade
  • Full Sentry Mode with recordings
  • Dash cam
  • 5Ghz WiFi and better 5G
  • Charging speed 50% faster
  • Significantly Upgraded seats
  • Vegan leather
  • All seats heated
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Raven drive system
  • 0-60 in 3.7 sec. vs 4.2
  • 1 foot driving (regen down to zero mph)
  • Fully adaptive air suspension
  • Glass roof Vs metal
  • Wireless charging pad

Went from 2016 P90DL to 2019 Raven and it’s much improved. Tighter, more solid. Seats more cushion. Touchscreen/mcu performance alone worth the upgrade to me. Noticeably faster, especially now. Range is a huge upgrade, makes a difference. Knowing you have the latest of whatever Tesla releases (for max maybe a year or so) is nice too.

to each their own, do what is right for you

Reactions: Simon_Emes
I've only really ever known my 2020 LR model, but it is pretty amazing, and I'm glad to hear about the continual improvements Tesla has been making over these years. Especially those updates that can be pushed to my new car via OTA updates in the future!

I'm still really toying with buying the FSD now... I keep hearing new snippets about things coming this year (automatic city driving, stop sign/stop light recognition, reverse summon, etc.). I do have a feeling the FSD price will rise right after these new features come out...

I'm curious about the Wireless Charging Pad I keep hearing about. My car is a 2020 LR and it didn't come with this feature? Maybe it came out right after my car was produced?

I had a 2017 75D and traded up for a 2020 100D this week. I keep telling everyone it’s like an entirely different car. They packed what would normally be decade worth of upgrades into 3 years. Here’s the list of things upgraded in my case:
  • 370 miles of range Vs 258
  • Hardware 3.0 computer vs 2.0
  • Premium sound system
  • MCU2 with Tesla Theater & Arcade
  • Full Sentry Mode with recordings
  • Dash cam
  • 5Ghz WiFi and better 5G
  • Charging speed 50% faster
  • Significantly Upgraded seats
  • Vegan leather
  • All seats heated
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Raven drive system
  • Glass roof Vs metal
  • Wireless charging pad
It sounds like you didn't have the premium package or things that became standard later in 2017 so there were a lot of changes for you from a 2017 75D to a 2020 LR.

I'll be upgrading my fully-loaded 2017 S100D to MCU2 soon for $2500. Once I do that, the only differences between 2017 and 2020 are:
  • 370 miles of range vs. ~330 miles
  • Raven drive system
  • Wireless charging pad
While a 2020 would be nice, it would cost me $25,000 to $35,000 to add just the few features listed above. I don't really care about the increased acceleration or 1 foot driving and I can easily add the stock wireless charging pad. For me, it's not worth it to upgrade yet.

Is there really anything special about the wireless charging pad that differs from one on Amazon that plugs into USB or 12V?

With the MCU and AP3 upgrade, I see no reason to upgrade from my 75D, but I also don't really care about range.

Biggest downgrade in the 2020 is lack of sunroof. I know it's not a big deal for some, but the sunroof is one of my favorite features on my S.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm curious about the Wireless Charging Pad I keep hearing about. My car is a 2020 LR and it didn't come with this feature? Maybe it came out right after my car was produced?

Couldn't tell you exactly when it came out--but, it was advertised to be on my car when I ordered it (02 Feb), and it was installed when I got it (28 Mar). It's on the underside of the flip-up panel toward the rear of the center console / just in front of & below the arm rest (the bit that hides the USB ports & the 12V power). It flips open toward the front, exposing the charger cradle. Easy way to tell is that the left USB port is taken with a 90° USB cord that disappears below the compartment (powering the charger).

I initially had some trouble with mine. Whatever it was, 2020.12.5 fixed it--works great/lasts long time....

Let me know if a pic would help, I should be able to post one for you....