Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone used CQuartz or something similar on their paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard people claim that these coatings help prolong the time between washes. Is there any real world comparisons between cars with coating and cars without? I'm assuming most people get these coatings applied when the car is brand new. I'm just wondering how much cleaner does it keep the the car as opposed to one that have regular waxes or sealants.
With these coatings the dirt might not adhere to the vehicle quite as strongly, but part of that may be due to the clay bar treatment performed first, during the paint correction process. This will remove most of the irregular bonded contaminants on the surface, leaving it glassy smooth. I've read stories of these cars staying cleaner with coatings or some anti-static effects that repel dirt. I haven't experienced this with my MS, especially around the lift-gate/ rear license plate area. I'm sure others can also attest, it's a low pressure magnet for dust or dirty beads of rainwater that sweep up from under and around the vehicle. Fortunately it does rinse off pretty easily.

Mine doesn't look cleaner or easier to wash compared to an old car that's never been Opti-coated. I had the impression that dirt won't stick or would easily wash away. Not the case.

Really? I respectfully disagree. I still wash the car once a week but only because the wheels get dirty. If it rains on it for any period I'll skip a week or two. To me the true value is not the washing it is the not having to wax. It always looks newly polished. If you wash the coated car by hand with the proper method (there are other threads that describe how) then you won't get swirls. Just the Opticoat isn't all that expensive. Doing the color correction and adding the Xpel (front) upped the ante for me. I bit the bullet and had it all done.

Reactions: Fanatic1
I spent two days applying Cquartz to an expel wrap and took another day preparing and applying it to the rims IMO three days Ill never get back

But if you wanna try you can get it from here
Coatings | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

You want protection invest in a wrap here are two photos of a hit and run on my car; the first one is just after it happed the second after I pealed away the distressed wrap

20160228_084245.jpg

20160318_121355.jpg

Still damage but the wrap did its job

Yep...wrapping the whole car is the way to go. Damned expensive and because of that you can argue could a damaged area be fixed and painted for the same cost. Well. As expensive as it is to do anything to a single Telsa MS body panel, I'd say it is border line. Wrapping and coating isn't for the typical do it yourselfer.

I'd like to address a few of the points brought up in this discussion, and hopefully clear up some of the questions about what CQuartz Finest in particular can and can't do.

First and foremost, coatings do not protect against chips and deep scratches; that simply isn't a realistic expectation. Despite some products' claims of "9H" hardness or otherwise, coatings simply aren't thick or hard enough to stop a rock or other harsh debris from causing damage. Only paint protection film can protect against those sorts of things (within reason, that is).

That said, coatings can provide a degree of swirl protection -- but not to the extent that they are completely foolproof. One of the biggest benefits of a coating like CQuartz Finest is that it will release the vast majority of dirt and other contaminants easily, allowing a quick rinse (prior to a traditional two bucket wash) or properly performed rinseless wash to safely flush away whatever grime may stick to the finish. The key to getting the most out of any paint protection investment is the use of proper maintenance tools/products and good technique to keep from incurring swirls or other damage.

Of course, this does not mean that no contaminants will ever stick to a coated vehicle; road tar, brake dust, rail dust, and other more aggressive residues can still collect on the finish, requiring the use of a tar remover or iron remover to safely release them. On a vehicle with a traditional sealant or wax on its paint, these chemicals would strip the protection and require re-waxing or sealing once everything is clean. CQuartz, on the other hand, will not be adversely affected by maintenance chemicals (notably CarPro has a comprehensive line of products specifically designed to work with the coating for ease of use), leading to significant time (and, potentially, cost) savings.

Although CQuartz Finest comes backed by a 2-year warranty, we have seen many instances of the coating lasting significantly beyond the warranty period. This will be dependent upon the environmental conditions your vehicle encounters, how it is maintained, etc.

Hopefully this helps shed some light on the benefits and limitations of coatings; if there are any additional questions or concerns we can address please feel free to ask here, or contact CarPro USA directly.

Reactions: srthomas21
I have CQF and I have found that it does stay cleaner. If there is no rain, the dust just seems to blow off of it. I live in CA, so I get a good 8 months of no rain every year. A dream come true! I also find it much easier to wash. Bug guts and bird poop come off much easier and don't etch through the finish. In 19 months, I have only used Reload once, which refreshes the finish, and the car looks fantastic. It is so much easier than waxing. Pretty much wipe on, lightly buff off and I am good for six months or so. Haven't had to wax or buff once. So I am happy with it. And talk about shine!

Literally, I have water-washed my car three times. The rest of the time I use waterless wash. There have been a few times when I have gone to the spray-it-yourself center to get the abrasive stuff off and then done a waterless because I was lazy.

I am a fan of the CarPro line. Their products work great. I used to use Griots, which are also great products. But these take it to a whole new level for me. I find that I spend much less time working on the car, which I guess is good and bad, because I love cleaning my car.

Last edited:
I'd like to address a few of the points brought up in this discussion, and hopefully clear up some of the questions about what CQuartz Finest in particular can and can't do.

First and foremost, coatings do not protect against chips and deep scratches; that simply isn't a realistic expectation. Despite some products' claims of "9H" hardness or otherwise, coatings simply aren't thick or hard enough to stop a rock or other harsh debris from causing damage. Only paint protection film can protect against those sorts of things (within reason, that is).

That said, coatings can provide a degree of swirl protection -- but not to the extent that they are completely foolproof. One of the biggest benefits of a coating like CQuartz Finest is that it will release the vast majority of dirt and other contaminants easily, allowing a quick rinse (prior to a traditional two bucket wash) or properly performed rinseless wash to safely flush away whatever grime may stick to the finish. The key to getting the most out of any paint protection investment is the use of proper maintenance tools/products and good technique to keep from incurring swirls or other damage.

Of course, this does not mean that no contaminants will ever stick to a coated vehicle; road tar, brake dust, rail dust, and other more aggressive residues can still collect on the finish, requiring the use of a tar remover or iron remover to safely release them. On a vehicle with a traditional sealant or wax on its paint, these chemicals would strip the protection and require re-waxing or sealing once everything is clean. CQuartz, on the other hand, will not be adversely affected by maintenance chemicals (notably CarPro has a comprehensive line of products specifically designed to work with the coating for ease of use), leading to significant time (and, potentially, cost) savings.

Although CQuartz Finest comes backed by a 2-year warranty, we have seen many instances of the coating lasting significantly beyond the warranty period. This will be dependent upon the environmental conditions your vehicle encounters, how it is maintained, etc.

Hopefully this helps shed some light on the benefits and limitations of coatings; if there are any additional questions or concerns we can address please feel free to ask here, or contact CarPro USA directly.
Thanks for the detailed response. Would you say that having a coating like Cquartz prolong the period of wash significantly compared to traditional sealants? Also, do you recommend applying wax on top of the coating for added gloss?

Thanks for the detailed response. Would you say that having a coating like Cquartz prolong the period of wash significantly compared to traditional sealants? Also, do you recommend applying wax on top of the coating for added gloss?

CQuartz coatings definitely can extend the period of time you can wait between washes; though it ultimately depends on what conditions your car is exposed to. For example, it is always recommended to remove things like insects and bird droppings as soon as you can conveniently do so, even with the coating to buy you a bit of time.

We actually advise to never apply wax on top of a CQuartz coating, for two primary reasons:

1) Because of the hydrophobic and dirt shedding properties of SiO2 coatings, traditional waxes and sealants aren't going to bond to the surface as well as they would on bare paint, making it a waste of time and product.

2) By applying wax on top of the coating, it will temporarily mask the hydrophobic and dirt shedding abilities of the coating, largely negating the extended wash intervals those properties can provide.

If you do want to apply a supplemental product on top of a CQuartz coating, our recommendation would be to use CarPro Reload. It is a sealant which was formulated to work in synergy with the coating systems, enhancing both gloss and protection beyond what the coating itself is providing. You can use Reload as frequently or infrequently as you like; after every wash or annually.

Reactions: Mclark
If so how well does it work from protecting against chips and scratches?

Any 7 year warranty is a farce, while the 2 year warranty is more real-world reality. But both products do add a thin sacrificial layer that takes the minor swirls that naturally occur over time with washing. That is the design goal of both products (Opti and C-Qaurtz). Better that than your paint's finish.

I've had C-Quartz applied on the flat black, after proper paint correction, and the look is amazing. In between professional washing. I use 3 bucket method (one for wheels) and with a foam wand to apply the soap/suds without direct contact. Then only using a microfiber mitt to wash off, and rinse.

I am ready to apply C-Quartz to my one month old MS, any recommendations? I already purchased everything for pre-cleaning and the application of C-Quartz.
I was wondering if I can apply C-Quartz to the following:
Door handles, Nose cone, under door black trim, chrome around mirrors.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

I am ready to apply C-Quartz to my one month old MS, any recommendations? I already purchased everything for pre-cleaning and the application of C-Quartz.
I was wondering if I can apply C-Quartz to the following:
Door handles, Nose cone, under door black trim, chrome around mirrors.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Yes, you can apply CQuartz to all of the listed parts of your car; one note would be that for the black textured trim under the doors, you'll get a darker, richer look by applying CarPro DLUX coating instead of CQuartz.

Be sure to visit CarPro-US.com to read over the most up-to-date application procedure for the particular variety of CQuartz you are using.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply,
Will the 30ml cover everything? Once I start I don't want to stop.
I have the CarPro Ceramic Print Protection Kit. and that has 30ml.
I have do not have a sun roof so I will also be doing the roof.

You can probably do it with 30ml, but it's likely you'll be very close to running out if you cover all of the trim/etc. The MS isn't a small car by any means, so just be careful not to get too heavy-handed with the application.

Thanks, I think I will get another 30ml. I will do 2 coats with the extra.
I am in Chicago do you ship same day so I can get it in 1 or 2 days.

Thanks, I will have more questions on the interior when I am ready to tackle that.

Thanks, I think I will get another 30ml. I will do 2 coats with the extra.
I am in Chicago do you ship same day so I can get it in 1 or 2 days.

Thanks, I will have more questions on the interior when I am ready to tackle that.

CarPro-US orders do generally ship same day, but are shipped out of Florida so please plan accordingly when selecting a shipping method at checkout. Thanks!