Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

has anyone used the no confirmation lane change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this update, but have not yet tried it. when I use navigate on auto pilot and do lane changes, sometimes it works wonderfully, then about half the time for no reason, (good weather, clear road line), it starts changing then abruptly jerks back to original lane several times. I usually have to disengage.. vehicles behind me probably think I'm drunk.

I have used it, but have gone back to confirm mode. The system is too slow in my opinion to make the move. Example, I was in the right lane and the car said it was going to change lanes, but by the time it executed the lane change another vehicle in the left lane moving 10 mph faster approached just as my vehicle was half way through the maneuver and with the other car approaching my car aborted and moved back into the right lane.

I gave the no confirmation, auto lane change a good workout and it was embarrassing. I had to go back to confirmation. It’s much too conservative on the interstate with a normal traffic pattern. It decides to get out of the passing lane, signals, thinks about it, car moves up in adjacent lane, it moves back to original lane, rinse, repeat. Does the opposite when it finally decides the car it is quickly overtaking needs to be passed. It’s a bit better on figuring that out before it starts slowing down but, the lane change “handshake” still fumbles. Does the nag seem harder to satisfy now, as well?

I gave the no confirmation, auto lane change a good workout and it was embarrassing. I had to go back to confirmation. It’s much too conservative on the interstate with a normal traffic pattern. It decides to get out of the passing lane, signals, thinks about it, car moves up in adjacent lane, it moves back to original lane, rinse, repeat. Does the opposite when it finally decides the car it is quickly overtaking needs to be passed. It’s a bit better on figuring that out before it starts slowing down but, the lane change “handshake” still fumbles. Does the nag seem harder to satisfy now, as well?

I got it today (2019.8.5) and tried it but only for a short 5 mile test. Mine was slow too. Even worse, I had to nudge the wheel each of the 4 times it wanted to change lanes even though I had my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Once I got home I found a setting and changed it to 'Mad Max' but have not tried it to see if that makes a difference. What setting did you all try it at? Maybe that is the problem?

I got it today (2019.8.5) and tried it but only for a short 5 mile test. Mine was slow too. Even worse, I had to nudge the wheel each of the 4 times it wanted to change lanes even though I had my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. Once I got home I found a setting and changed it to 'Mad Max' but have not tried it to see if that makes a difference. What setting did you all try it at? Maybe that is the problem?

I am Mad Max! I’ve tried the other levels, more of the same conservative &/or jerky responses.

Reactions: FMinMI
I just got this update, but have not yet tried it. when I use navigate on auto pilot and do lane changes, sometimes it works wonderfully, then about half the time for no reason, (good weather, clear road line), it starts changing then abruptly jerks back to original lane several times. I usually have to disengage.. vehicles behind me probably think I'm drunk.
Something similar happened to me, I was showing off the feature to my kids and while changing lanes into the carpool lane, the lane markings changed and the car jerked back to the original lane.

When it decides to do a lane change, it seems to detect vehicles in the adjacent lane correctly and wait until there is a large enough gap before initiating the lane change. So that part of the software is working pretty well.

But deciding when to make the lane change will take some time for the software to be trained to initiate those lane changes at an appropriate time.

In our X with the 8.5 software, I've tried driving it with the auto-lane change enabled. The software tends to make more lane changes than needed - especially moving more often in an out of the leftmost lane (on highways with 3-5 lanes in each direction). It gets confused at times when going through "drive through" toll lanes. And even though it knows a lane change is upcoming, won't take advantage of a lane gap earlier to make an easy lane change, and instead will pass that up and possibly end up struggling to find a gap in a group of tightly bunched cars in the desired lane.

And the requirement to have your hands on the steering wheel for the lane change can be a problem at times, because the sensors don't always detect the presence of hands on the wheel - requiring some manual effort to trigger those sensors without also breaking the software out of NOAP mode.

It's still way early on auto lane change - the software should continue to get better. The most critical area, ensuring a lane change is safe, seems to be working - the rest is training the software to lane change at times when it makes sense.

I know this is a Model S thread, but the question is broader, so here is my Model 3 experience, firmware 8.5. Like other posters, I’ve turned off the no-notification automatic lane change. I have no issue with keeping my hands on the wheel and providing the requisite torque movements to prevent nags so that part works. But the actual lane change is not timely...very, very slow usually missing the opportunity to change lanes that it itself recommended and planned to take. I like the driver-instigated lane changes simply using the turn signal. Works for me each time, fairly quickly, and very reliably. No-confirmation lane change, for me, is a step sideways delivering little-to-no value add. All this is low- to moderate traffic scenarios over three 120-mile primarily Interstate trips. Other posters have mentioned it gets worse as traffic gets heavier.

I just completed a 1800+ mile trip using it with NoA. Love it. I had non of the issues being described. When my brother in law was driving we noticed a delay in changing lanes. Turned out to be his lack of counter pressure on steering wheel. System was displaying apply force massage on IC and waiting for such. It was his first time driving a Tesla. He also put us in AP jail once. When he adapted to applying correct counter force to wheel all was good.

Reactions: AwlBidnz
Tried it.
There is really no such thing as no confirmation. It just changes the mechanism of confirmation from the AP stalk to the wheel. It car won’t change lane unless you are applying just the right amount of torque to the wheel. Enough for it to register but not enough to disengage AP. I am now used to nudging the wheel every 15 sec or so as I drive on AP, and I basically have to confirm by nudging the wheel each time a lane change notification occurs.

Reactions: AwlBidnz
Tried it.
There is really no such thing as no confirmation. It just changes the mechanism of confirmation from the AP stalk to the wheel. It car won’t change lane unless you are applying just the right amount of torque to the wheel. Enough for it to register but not enough to disengage AP. I am now used to nudging the wheel every 15 sec or so as I drive on AP, and I basically have to confirm by nudging the wheel each time a lane change notification occurs.
Do you have to have No.A.to get auto lane change...I have basic Autopilot with TACC witch I like better...on Autopilot if I want to change lanes I have to disengage Autopilot change lanes then engage Autopilot agin..it’s a real pain so I don’t use it.....just use TACC

Do you have to have No.A.to get auto lane change...I have basic Autopilot with TACC witch I like better...on Autopilot if I want to change lanes I have to disengage Autopilot change lanes then engage Autopilot agin..it’s a real pain so I don’t use it.....just use TACC
With AP2 and NoA it's seemless. Took 1800+ mile road trip using it 90% of the time. Only time I did anything was a few lane changes it was going to do that I cancelled.