TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has anyone used their Tesla referral credit yet?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dean1013, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dean1013

dean1013 New Member

So, I referred a friend to buy a Model S and it says that I have a $1000 tesla credit. The mytesla page states that the credit will be available for use starting August 15. However, there is no information on how to use the credit for purchasing accessories. Has anyone used their credit yet? The dude at Tesla headquarters had no clue and tech support had me on hold for an absurd length of time...

2. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Anyone know the answer to this? Just tried to order some accessories using my referral credit, but there doesn't appear to be an option for it on checkout.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

you can't order online - but you can use it to buy accessories at a Tesla store, pay for service, or have it applied towards a vehicle. If thre is something you want online, have your local store get it in & then use your credit.

4. krnshh

krnshh Member

I went and bought some mats and an extra charger at the Tesla store. They can fix it from there.

5. Bill D

Bill D Member

I bought an HPWC (walk-in at the Costa Mesa, CA service center) using $750 of my referral credit. No problem. The receipt was emailed to me and the "Tesla Credit" on my account dropped to $250.

6. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Ah. Strange that they can't or won't make it work online. Would be easier for them and us.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

The tesla accessories online store is operated by an independent 3rd party for Tesla, so I can see why they don't have easy access to the credit.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I didn't know that. But now, given other stories over the past year, I'm not surprised -- it explains a lot.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

I referred a friend and received a $1000 credit. I tried to use the credit in the online shop to no avail. I called the local service center. They said they could make my accessory order with the credit. When I gave then the order, they had never fulfilled an apparel order with the referral credit. They said they would try. They called back saying it could not be done. I find that to be total BS. Where does it say no apparrel in the terms and conditions? It just says that accessories are available for the credit. Anyone else dealing with this?

10. DougH

DougH Active Member

Their apparel is crap anyway.

11. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

It can be applied toward the purchase of a Model S, but not a Model X. The rules were unclear on this point, but Tesla is taking a hard stance that referral credit can only be used for a Model S purchase. Kinda makes no sense since we were in the program because we owned a Model S already. Spending my $17K in referral credit would be impossible without buying another Model S so alas that is what I am doing.

Would have preferred to use that credit on the Founders-Edition Model X, but even after elevating the issue within Tesla the answer was NO! Suffice-to-say, I will go from owning one Tesla to three in short order says one pissed-off influencer. :cursing:

12. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

I was able to order Turbine rims and winter tires directly from the SC in Canada. Can you guys in the USA buy rims/tires and sell them here on the parts for sale forum? Seems like new rims and tires move quickly and you'll get 75-80% of the credit value in cash. Just a thought if you don't mind taking time to sell some wheels or CHAdeMO adapters.