Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone used windshield protection film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the 4 years I’ve lived in Baltimore, I had to replace my windshield 3 times - always from stones shot by trucks or cars from the crappy I-95 up and down NVA/DC/B’More. I’m thinking about getting windshield protection film against stones, and want to know if anyone has had this done before?

I was thinking this exact thing today that windshield film might make sense for a Tesla. I don't know anything about windshield protection film, and am curious now what that looks like and costs.
I got my first rock chip in the first month, and heard other people having the same experience. I went to safelite immediately before the chip turned into a crack. I also observed the following: I hear more stuff hit my windshield than with other cars.

Its impossible to say if that's because other cars have louder cabins, or if the TM3 gets rock chips more easily. I have heard from several people however that have rock chips almost immediately after delivery, sometimes multiple times. I have a theory, that its related to the very slippery coefficient of drag of the TM3. If I was to be a small pebble I would much more ignore the wind turbulence around a low CD car, because its designed to not disturb the air as much. However in a boxy car, with a large windshield angle compared to the hood angle I imagine there is a bigger pillow of air that more easily prevents small pebbles from easily hitting those windshields.

Obviously no car is immune to them, and some large rocks would be mostly so heavy that no pillow of turbulence would have any effect, and still break your windshield.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I don't think windshield protection film works because of the sheer force impact will still cause a crack regardless of film you put on. I got a crack on my windshield already :(, 1st time ever in a car.

Luckily comprehensive coverage on my insurance wasn't terribly expensive so my deductible is only $50 make it okay.

I’m getting windshield protection film and full body Xpel ultimate PPF as we speak. The windshield film is a two layer so you can just peel off the first layer after about a year or so. It’s supposed to last about 2 years and protect against scratches and small rocks hitting windshield. Cost was $450 installed for the windshield film. It’s also supposed to be optically clear and not interfere with EAP cameras. I’ll post some pics after install. This is what I’m getting installed:
Welcome

Reactions: Prairie