Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Got my VIN 17xx, MVPA today no text/email. Ordered mid-Feb blue/black/AWD/19"/no FSD + tow hitch.

I have an identical configuration and VIN range, ordered last July. It will be interesting to see who gets delivery notification sooner. I placed the order sooner, but yours has a longer delivery time (I may pick up in Fremont). I suspect yours will be built first, but we'll see.

Cfelix

May 26, 2020
Florida
Darn it! I just received an email that Tesla finally removed the hitch I asked them to remove 8 days ago to try to get quicker delivery. I also checked and my VIN is gone. :(

senthil

Apr 9, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Darn it! I just received an email that Tesla finally removed the hitch I asked them to remove 8 days ago to try to get quicker delivery. I also checked and my VIN is gone. :(

Oh no :eek:

sorry to hear that. I raid few posts that Tesla said hitch is installed at SC, apparently that’s not the case.

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Quite a few hitch orders now have VINs, but AFAIK nobody has received their car yet.

Questions not answered yet:
  • Installed at factory or SC?
  • What size receiver tube?
  • Software update to enable a "tow" mode through the interface?
  • Is the door for the bumper opening removable?

neutrino

Mar 2, 2020
Wenatchee, WA
Quite a few hitch orders now have VINs, but AFAIK nobody has received their car yet.

Questions not answered yet:
  • Installed at factory or SC?
  • What size receiver tube?
  • Software update to enable a "tow" mode through the interface?
  • Is the door for the bumper opening removable?

I understand the receiver tube is 1.25", which is consistent with the tow specs I heard about. The next tube up (for heavier towing) is 2".

A friend just got his Y this week -- same specs, ordered his 2 weeks after mine (Feb '20). Apparently it was ~1 week from getting the VIN to "touchless" delivery. So I'm hoping for delivery this week!

I'll post info about the tow mode software once I get my hands on it. I have a lightweight aluminum trailer that I'll test.

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
I understand the receiver tube is 1.25", which is consistent with the tow specs I heard about. The next tube up (for heavier towing) is 2".

A friend just got his Y this week -- same specs, ordered his 2 weeks after mine (Feb '20). Apparently it was ~1 week from getting the VIN to "touchless" delivery. So I'm hoping for delivery this week!

I'll post info about the tow mode software once I get my hands on it. I have a lightweight aluminum trailer that I'll test.

Virtually all anecdotal evidence and info provided from SA/DAs indicate it's a 2" receiver tube, the same as Model X. Model X w/22" wheels is rated for Class II, w/20" it's Class III. 2" tubes provide much better flexibility and more options.

Last edited:

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Hey, what does that delivery text look like?

"Your Model Y is on its way to the San Francisco Delivery Center and ready to be scheduled for delivery! Select your appointment now at (link)

We now offer a touchless delivery experience. Check in, complete documents on your own in your Model Y, watch tutorials on the touchscreen, and drive."

Reactions: Thp3 and rxlawdude

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC