Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5/16/2017 (Tuesday noon): Took Delivery on MS (got tired of waiting on M3).

5/30/2020 (Sunday night): Cancelled M3 Reservation from the beginning. Wife wanted interior other than Black or White so waited.

5/30/2020 (Sunday night): Placed Order: MY LR, Midnight Silver, Tow-Hitch. Estimate 4 - 8 Weeks.

6/02/2020 (Tuesday afternoon): Received Text: Currently expect delivery 2 - 4 weeks.

6/06/2020 (Saturday noon): Drove wife to Carlsbad, CA Delivery Center so she could sit in both M3 and MY to compare, also Test Drive.

6/10/2020 (Wednesday 10 AM): Anxiously awaiting Text telling me MY Vin #. We are keeping fingers crossed it will be soon.

6/10/2020 (Wednesday 4 PM estimate): Pick up check from NFCU so it is ready when we get the call for delivery. Good for 90 days. Terms 72 months at 2.04% (2.29% with 0.25% discount for Direct Deposit to our account) with 100% financing. Tesla arranged financing was approved for 80% financing at 2.49%

5/30/2020 (Sunday night): Cancelled M3 Reservation from the beginning. Wife wanted interior other than Black or White so waited.

5/30/2020 (Sunday night): Placed Order: MY LR, Midnight Silver, Tow-Hitch. Estimate 4 - 8 Weeks.

6/02/2020 (Tuesday afternoon): Received Text: Currently expect delivery 2 - 4 weeks.

6/06/2020 (Saturday noon): Drove wife to Carlsbad, CA Delivery Center so she could sit in both M3 and MY to compare, also Test Drive.

6/10/2020 (Wednesday 10 AM): Anxiously awaiting Text telling me MY Vin #. We are keeping fingers crossed it will be soon.

6/10/2020 (Wednesday 4 PM estimate): Pick up check from NFCU so it is ready when we get the call for delivery. Good for 90 days. Terms 72 months at 2.04% (2.29% with 0.25% discount for Direct Deposit to our account) with 100% financing. Tesla arranged financing was approved for 80% financing at 2.49%

A lot of us received that same text on 6/02. In my case, I got a VIN 6/04 and my account page updated with a VIN and request for final payment information. On 6/07 I got delivery information, set for this Friday in Fremont. It all depends on your exact configuration, but I bet you receive a delivery text in the next day or two. But don't hold me to it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Graffi

We picked up our Navy Fed check today and while it says it expired yesterday (60 days), we were reassured that it is good for 90 days because of Covid and That Tesla will be able to call and get an approval code. I am nervous! Our deliver is scheduled for Monday. Hope it goes well...

I spoke with a delivery advisor (Cody) again this morning. I placed the order on 01/29 and the order was updated on 4/10 for tow hitch. He said the change made my order go back in line. WTH!

An advisor I spoke to couple days ago said tow hitch do not delay delivery.

Not sure whom to believe at this point. The advisor said if I removed the tow hitch, it will further delay my delivery since the order will have a new date.
I ordered my Model Y on January 10 then added the hitch on April 10 as well. I was told today that I too had to go to the end of the line by adding the hitch and that if I deleted the hitch, I’d be sent back to the end of the line again. So I’m leaving my order as is.

Today is 6/10, Wed. Just got notice that my VIN with hitch, white, black interior, is available at Fremont factory. Picking it up on 6/12. Can't wait! I'm expecting the hitch to be 2 inch receiver. If 1.5 inch, then I'll be so disappointed, and return the @^(*&! car.

Me too! Same bat time, same bat channel. Fingers crossed re: 2" hitch. I'm optimistic.

See you there, assuming we both get "the" email tomorrow or early Friday!

I ordered my Model Y on January 10 then added the hitch on April 10 as well. I was told today that I too had to go to the end of the line by adding the hitch and that if I deleted the hitch, I’d be sent back to the end of the line again. So I’m leaving my order as is.
if that’s the case, it’s pretty disappointing. adding the hitch sends you to the back of the line? behind folks that placed a new/recent order with the hitch? doesn’t make much sense to me, but this whole process has never made sense to many of us.

I ordered spring 2019 added the hitch in April 2020. I’m still hopeful that all the variable information is just that — variable. My reservation number has never changed, but I’ve received very little interaction from Tesla. Just the generic texts and a response to my inquiry if all my online bits were in order. I’ve been told everything is in order with my account and I’m just waiting a VIN.

...sigh...

if that’s the case, it’s pretty disappointing. adding the hitch sends you to the back of the line? behind folks that placed a new/recent order with the hitch? doesn’t make much sense to me, but this whole process has never made sense to many of us.

I ordered spring 2019 added the hitch in April 2020. I’m still hopeful that all the variable information is just that — variable. My reservation number has never changed, but I’ve received very little interaction from Tesla. Just the generic texts and a response to my inquiry if all my online bits were in order. I’ve been told everything is in order with my account and I’m just waiting a VIN.

...sigh...
Same boat (other my than original order date being 2/2020).

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Picking up tomorrow (Friday 6/12) in Fremont. White/Black 19" AWD LR Hitch. Ordered 1/30/20, added Tow Hitch 4/22.

No text or emails. Yesterday my Tesla account page updated and asked to complete payment (even though no VIN). I entered payment details in the morning. By the afternoon the account page updated showing a VIN and I received delivery email confirming Friday pickup.