Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh snap, there is a trailer mode. Now we gotta check with the people who have installed the Eco hitch if they have any luck getting Tesla to unlock that software for them.

Excited to hear the details of what trailer mode does on the Y.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Got my Vin today and confirmation for pick up this Monday 6/15. They actually asked me to pick up tomorrow (with no prior warning other than a text last week saying it could take 2-3 weeks.) Due to the pending sale of my used M3, I had to push it to Monday.

MSM/Black/LR AWD/20”/FSD/TOW HITCH

Pickup Marina del Rey Delivery Center
Ordered 4/16/20

Great news! It looks like the cover isn’t meant to easily be taken off and put back on... I hope someone will make a trim piece to finish the opening better.

Actually, it couldn't be easier. To pry it off the first few times, you may need a flat head screwdriver, but it pops off pretty easily. It's even easier popping back into place. It hides the receiver quite well.

Sorry, forgot to quote the post with photos of the factory installed hitch.
Actually, it couldn't be easier.
To pry it off the first few times, you may need a flat head screwdriver, but it pops off pretty easily. It's even easier popping back into place. It hides the receiver quite well.

@ahankins- thank you for the posting and that is great news! I think you just meant to say "is meant" not "isnt meant":), and I should have figured that out.

Just checked the latest users manual and there is no mention of the tow hitch itself or the software.

Last edited:
The Fremont delivery hub hadn't had a Model Y w/hitch before mine. Without looking through the display menus, there is no way to tell if the hitch was even there, as it's installed inside the undercarriage. The DA had to take the car back to service for them to pull the cover off.

The car itself was in excellent shape. No discernible issues with the paint or misaligned panels. The issue with the passenger side rear seat not being flush with the rest of the seat was present, but you'd have to have it pointed out to notice. I'm not sure if I'm even gonna bother with it.

The only real issue that needs solving is the steering wheel is off center by a few degrees. The alignment is fine as the car tracks perfectly straight. However, when it is tracking straight the steering wheel is at about 4 degrees. Some googling reveals it's been a problem with other Teslas since the Model S. My understanding is that it's pretty easy to fix.

I'd say I got lucky, with both the Model Y and Model 3.

Hopefully they will allow ordering from the SC at that same price as the option on the new car.. Us early adopters that received it a month earlier then it offered should not be punished or charged more for the option that they should have offered a month earlier....

I have Ben considering after market but at a cost of 500 plus installation it is going to come in very similar price to the 1k option assuming it is offered at the same price

Picked up my Model Y with tow hitch yesterday from Fremont factory. Ordered in March, got VIN this week. Delivery yesterday. The hitch is preinstalled. See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
Picked up my Model Y with tow hitch yesterday from Fremont factory. Ordered in March, got VIN this week. Delivery yesterday. The hitch is preinstalled. See photo.

When reinstalling the little door, be sure those bottom tabs on the door slide under the plastic railing beneath the tube. It should be real easy. It's quite possible to just pop it in there any which way, but then it becomes a chore removing it. Ask me how I know. ;)