Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked the latest users manual and there is no mention of the tow hitch itself or the software.

The in-car manual has a section regarding the tow option. Not sure if/when it will update on the web version.

IMG_2119.jpg

Reactions: senthil
So the question is, does this trailer mode show up if you did not purchase a MY with a hitch installed by Tesla? I ordered my MY with no hitch, so if I decide to install a third party hitch later on and not go through Tesla, will I have trailer mode option in the setup screen? I assume it is present for all MY with latest update, but when it comes to Tesla I've learned never to assume.

Last edited:
So the question is, does this trailer mode show up if you did not purchase a MY with a hitch installed by Tesla? I ordered my MY with no hitch, so if I decide to install a third party hitch later on and not go through Tesla, will I have trailer mode option in the setup screen? I assume it is present for all MY with latest update, but when it comes to Tesla I've learned never to assume.

Model X owners with third party hitches had to contact Tesla to activate a tow mode option. Cost: $1000. This is all "stuff read on the internet". If true, I suspect there are liability issues when attaching an integral after market part.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That has to be a type on the 20" weights, seriously 1,200 pounds less? If anything the 19s should have slightly less tongue and weight capacities.....right?

I don't think it's a typo. From the Model X tow package option in the Tesla store: "Equip your Model X with a high-strength steel tow bar and removable 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels."

As to the why of this? No clue, but my guess it's the nuances of NHTSA regulations.

Wonder if tow hitch option will be allowed with 7 seater? In that’s the case, not overloading occupants while towing would be up to the user. But that’s also the case with not overloading any other weight capacity so it seems they should allow it. Anyone know if there’s similar occupancy/towing limitations with model X?

Trailer mode is just a toggle on/off. Here is the spec. page from the manual:

View attachment 551160

Not sure if this had been addressed, but I spoke with a Model Y delivery team person via chat and asked if I could put a change order in to add the tow hitch for my PUP ordered in Dec and they recommended that I not as it would delay my delivery.

I asked if this is something that can do after receiving delivery, and they said yes, and that it would be $1,200. So a 20% increase vs getting it when ordering. I expressed that a 20% premium for early adopters was kinda BS and that they should honor the $1k pricing just until they hit all orders prior to adding the option to the configurator, and the response was to accept their sincere apologies for charging more, end of conversation.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a heads up to anyone planning on having it installed via Tesla service after the fact.

I'm still going to do it, but it's just annoying.

Not sure if this had been addressed, but I spoke with a Model Y delivery team person via chat and asked if I could put a change order in to add the tow hitch for my PUP ordered in Dec and they recommended that I not as it would delay my delivery.

I asked if this is something that can do after receiving delivery, and they said yes, and that it would be $1,200. So a 20% increase vs getting it when ordering. I expressed that a 20% premium for early adopters was kinda BS and that they should honor the $1k pricing just until they hit all orders prior to adding the option to the configurator, and the response was to accept their sincere apologies for charging more, end of conversation.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a heads up to anyone planning on having it installed via Tesla service after the fact.

I'm still going to do it, but it's just annoying.
The chat support has been known to make statements that aren’t corroborated by delivery center and phone support staff...

I don't think it's a typo. From the Model X tow package option in the Tesla store: "Equip your Model X with a high-strength steel tow bar and removable 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels."

As to the why of this? No clue, but my guess it's the nuances of NHTSA regulations.

That still boggles my mind. I have the 20" wheels on my order and am planning on purchasing a teardrop camper from inTech, NuCamp, etc in the future and was really counting on that 3,500 pound capacity and 350 pound tongue weight. How does a 19" tire that weighs LESS and had less sidewall support 1,200 more pounds than a 20" tire goodyear?

That still boggles my mind. I have the 20" wheels on my order and am planning on purchasing a teardrop camper from inTech, NuCamp, etc in the future and was really counting on that 3,500 pound capacity and 350 pound tongue weight. How does a 19" tire that weighs LESS and had less sidewall support 1,200 more pounds than a 20" tire goodyear?

Don't hold me to it, but I bet the hitches are identical across all tire sizes, and the limitations are based on arbitrary regulations. However, if you should exceed those limits and get into an accident or have any kind of issue with the hitch, you might absorb the liability and repair bills.

So after some searching I've come to a couple of conclusions.

Larger Diameter Should Equal Less Pulling Power
The larger the tire, the less revolutions it will turn for the same speed, thus less torque and pulling power, which should reduce the tow rating. Yes, electric motors have full torque at 0 RPM, but larger wheel means less torque, which should factor in and reduce your towing capacity if no other limiting factors.

Larger Diameter Equal Less Braking Power
Larger diameter will require more braking force to stop at the same distance. The larger diameter is like a lever, more of a mechanical advantage, so your brakes are less effective. This is important when you have to not only have to stop your car, but also whatever you are towing.

Lack of Specs on Tesla Supplied Wheel/Tire Packages
Not easy to find specs on the standard options that Tesla offers for each wheel and tire size. I have not been able to find out much in my searches, did I miss it? If the towing specs are correct, then perhaps the construction of the wheel and tire that Tesla is supplying has some unknown impact on towing? Maybe the 20 inch option is not as strong as the other choices, lower PSI, weaker sidewall, something else?

Since the towing spec list the 19 and 21 inch options with the same ratings, then it should be a safe bet that torque is not a limiting factor because it is electric. Same thing for braking.

So either:
- this spec is wrong for the 20 inch option
- or it is wrong for both the 20 and 21 inch options
- or there is something about the 20 inch wheel and tire option from Tesla that is not as good as their other choices. If this is the case, then perhaps another 20 inch wheel and tire combination from a third party would be better and restore the full tow rating?

Thoughts? If we had specs on the Tesla supplied wheels and tires, then may be we could understand the lower rating for the 20 inch. Right now I more inclined to think it is a typo.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So after some searching I've come to a couple of conclusions.

Larger Diameter Should Equal Less Pulling Power
The larger the tire, the less revolutions it will turn for the same speed, thus less torque and pulling power, which should reduce the tow rating. Yes, electric motors have full torque at 0 RPM, but larger wheel means less torque, which should factor in and reduce your towing capacity if no other limiting factors.

Larger Diameter Equal Less Braking Power
Larger diameter will require more braking force to stop at the same distance. The larger diameter is like a lever, more of a mechanical advantage, so your brakes are less effective. This is important when you have to not only have to stop your car, but also whatever you are towing.

Lack of Specs on Tesla Supplied Wheel/Tire Packages
Not easy to find specs on the standard options that Tesla offers for each wheel and tire size. I have not been able to find out much in my searches, did I miss it? If the towing specs are correct, then perhaps the construction of the wheel and tire that Tesla is supplying has some unknown impact on towing? Maybe the 20 inch option is not as strong as the other choices, lower PSI, weaker sidewall, something else?

Since the towing spec list the 19 and 21 inch options with the same ratings, then it should be a safe bet that torque is not a limiting factor because it is electric. Same thing for braking.

So either:
- this spec is wrong for the 20 inch option
- or it is wrong for both the 20 and 21 inch options
- or there is something about the 20 inch wheel and tire option from Tesla that is not as good as their other choices. If this is the case, then perhaps another 20 inch wheel and tire combination from a third party would be better and restore the full tow rating?

Thoughts? If we had specs on the Tesla supplied wheels and tires, then may be we could understand the lower rating for the 20 inch. Right now I more inclined to think it is a typo.

Thank you for your insights and research. Here is where I've found the most detailed specs on the stock wheels/tires for the Model Y.

The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Thank you for your insights and research. Here is where I've found the most detailed specs on the stock wheels/tires for the Model Y.

The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Thanks. I found this page during my search, unfortunately it is lacking details important to understanding the towing specs. My guess, Tesla will release an update and those quoted values will be fixed, or at least explain the difference if correct.

I was at a Tesla center today and the rep confirmed that the Y can be brought back into their service centers to have the tow hitch installed.

Can we order the hitch at this point or does the service center need to do it? The 200$ delta isn’t the end of the world though i think they should comp the early adopters on the 200 delta..

If i went aftermarket its 525 with electrical plus installation which i assume is worth 200-300 as it looks like somewhat a pain.. so about 800 or so...for the 400 i say keep it stock...

Reactions: lnsh