Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also a question on the vertical load limit vs tongue weight..not familiar on how to interpret that

My bike rack is approximately 60 pounds, then each electric bike is 65 x 3. So about 250 pounds total weight...

Does this fall into vertical or Tongue weight? Am i safe?

Also a question on the vertical load limit vs tongue weight..not familiar on how to interpret that

My bike rack is approximately 60 pounds, then each electric bike is 65 x 3. So about 250 pounds total weight...

Does this fall into vertical or Tongue weight? Am i safe?

That sounds like you have three RadPower bikes. :) Our Hollywood rack can hold two e-bikes. It's impressive you have a rack that can hold three.

Tongue weight is mostly for racks, as they place vertical force on the hitch. You are safe with 250 lbs. only IF you have 19 or 21" wheels, which according to the manual has a rated capacity of 350 lbs. tongue weight. For 20" wheels, it's 230 lbs.

Can we order the hitch at this point or does the service center need to do it? The 200$ delta isn’t the end of the world though i think they should comp the early adopters on the 200 delta..

If i went aftermarket its 525 with electrical plus installation which i assume is worth 200-300 as it looks like somewhat a pain.. so about 800 or so...for the 400 i say keep it stock...

I wasn't aware the tow hitch was ever available for less than the $1,000 currently listed. It doesn't seem like you can order the hitch independently but I've seen several people post that they've adjusted their order to include one. My order also did not include one but I was planning on getting it installed at a Tesla SC once I see whether the car is even worth accepting and taking home. And I have yet to confirm but I was afraid of causing possible warranty void issues with aftermarket products and outside installation.

My guess is that either the tires on the 20" wheels, or the wheels themselves are the limiting factor.

Perhaps the induction wheel itself is supplied by somebody else, and may have been deemed weaker under the torque + weight of the added trailer, versus the 19 or 21". I guess if it was already near design limit for the torque, and then you add weight that the rotational torque acts against, perhaps its just not strong enough and there might be some risk of sheering.

Similar for the good year tires perhaps shredding or something.

planning on purchasing a teardrop camper from inTech, NuCamp, etc

Those inTech campers seem to have a really high tongue weight versus the trailer weight and is over spec for even the 19 or 21" wheels. You would need to do something to add weight at the back of the trailer to try and bring it closer. Ideally 10-15% is the magic figure for tongue weight.

R-pods at least have better tongue weight, but even the dry weight of 3000lbs is a little bit hefty by the time you add items to it. You basically would not be able to fill with water or too much extra cargo.

That sounds like you have three RadPower bikes. :) Our Hollywood rack can hold two e-bikes. It's impressive you have a rack that can hold three.

Tongue weight is mostly for racks, as they place vertical force on the hitch. You are safe with 250 lbs. only IF you have 19 or 21" wheels, which according to the manual has a rated capacity of 350 lbs. tongue weight. For 20" wheels, it's 230 lbs.

Currently a stromer and getting 2 velec’ s tomorrow... i think all 3 are around 60 pounds each...

The rack i have is 1upusa super heavy duty.. it handles a lot of weight...

I need to get the rack on the car..trying to decide if i wait for the stock Tesla ..who knows when or the aftermarket as i dont expect to tow any trailers..but could add the electrical later if needed

Why do the 20" tires have a lower towing capacity? OEM tires having lower weight rating than the 19 and 21" ones?
My guess is that either the tires on the 20" wheels, or the wheels themselves are the limiting factor.

Perhaps the induction wheel itself is supplied by somebody else, and may have been deemed weaker under the torque + weight of the added trailer, versus the 19 or 21". I guess if it was already near design limit for the torque, and then you add weight that the rotational torque acts against, perhaps its just not strong enough and there might be some risk of sheering.

Similar for the good year tires perhaps shredding or something.

From Tire Rack specs for Model Y tires. Not sure if this relevant but the tire load rating on the 20" tires is lower (at least for the rears) than both the 19" and 21" tires.

19" Wheels/Tires
F/R Tire Load Rating 1984LB

20" Wheels/Tires
F/R Tire Load Rating 1819LB

21" Wheels/Tires
F Tire Load Rating 1653LB
R Tire Load Rating 1929LB