Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone with FSD received HW3 upgrade?

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I don’t recall any reports yet. I’m willing to be very patient on this, letting the hardware get as mature as possible, just in case there are any tweaks they make over time.

SergeyUser

Feb 11, 2017
Austin, TX
Given that there are no real benefits of having HW3 now from end-user prospective, I think it is better to have your HW upgraded to V3 as late as possible (HW3 can use a bit more of total energy AFAIR, and also there might be different HW versions, I would rather have the latest one).

Reactions: CharleyBC

argon2018

Oct 21, 2018
Chicago
Given that there are no real benefits of having HW3 now from end-user prospective, I think it is better to have your HW upgraded to V3 as late as possible (HW3 can use a bit more of total energy AFAIR, and also there might be different HW versions, I would rather have the latest one).

I don’t think there are other versions. There is only one which is being mass produced for all current cars

argon2018

Oct 21, 2018
Chicago

that’s true there is no benefit now. But Tesla should be releasing stop sign red light detection and AP on street level in the coming weeks which I think would need HW3

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
HW3 can use a bit more of total energy AFAIR
This is not my understanding and actually the opposite was stated in Tesla’s autonomous driving presentation when showing the specs of their proprietary CPU.

UPDATE: I was wrong. 57W vs 72W.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando

animorph

Apr 1, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Heard that only 100 HW3 units went out for retrofitting, so maybe that was just a test run?

Yeah, dropped our 3 at the SC for some rattles yesterday. The advisor said all Tesla has retrofitted so far is a few in California so they can refine the process. Of course I haven't seen anything reliable from an SC before, but this guy didn't seem as clueless as usual.

Glamisduner

Aug 2, 2017
Escondido, CA
actually, it appears that using summon to park the car before you get out of hte car (double-tap park to summon) seems to be HW3-only on Model 3, which is weird
I wondered why I could never do this!

I thought it was supposed to park when you got out of the car not before you got out of the car?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC