Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone with FSD received HW3 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Tesla myself, they did not contact me. But they reviewed and adjusted location/date from Mobile Ranger/Jan 10 to Service Center/Jan 9.
Interesting because I thought that they were blowing off people who contacted the service centers about HW3 upgrades. Good for you though. I guess mobile rangers won’t be doing the upgrades due to needing to replace the coolant since the hardware is liquid cooled?

Interesting because I thought that they were blowing off people who contacted the service centers about HW3 upgrades. Good for you though. I guess mobile rangers won’t be doing the upgrades due to needing to replace the coolant since the hardware is liquid cooled?

Someone who already upgraded to HW3.0 confirmed in the forum that the upgrades are only performed at a SC, so yes, it appears true.

I figured that after the following tweet maybe they will stop rejecting the appointments and decided to give it a try: Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: C141medic
Tesla true self driving has to be better than good, it must be great or they will be sued out of business. Humanizing Autonomy looks like a great goal, but how fast will the process work to get there? As it stands, it will fail in situations a good human driver can avoid. Maybe in five years ready for prime time. Saving OK drivers from most situations is not good enough. Right now it can’t even manage a traffic circle or a flock of motorcycles ahead across both traffic lanes.

I'm not sure if you can be sued for a "beta" version of anything - especially one that has the disclaimer we must all agree to before activating FSD.

FSD may be beta for the next 20 years.

Its really a genius move to be able to get so many people to pay big bucks for a beta version of something.

Let's see.....what else in the world is beta that people are clamoring for? hmmmmmm.

Tesla true self driving has to be better than good, it must be great or they will be sued out of business. Humanizing Autonomy looks like a great goal, but how fast will the process work to get there? As it stands, it will fail in situations a good human driver can avoid. Maybe in five years ready for prime time. Saving OK drivers from most situations is not good enough. Right now it can’t even manage a traffic circle or a flock of motorcycles ahead across both traffic lanes.

You are right, current AP/FSD is “stupid”, from human prospective. It can’t think in unknown scenarios like a human (maybe it is a good thing, long term ))) Current Smart Summon is actually not that smart and needs to download parking lot map to operate in Ok manner. And this was a result of months and months of work of Tesla engineers. Check this Waymo video, it exactly illustrates the point:

And they are regarded as having the best technology.

Now, this is what Tesla explained very long time ago. This is “auto pilot”. Even FSD is “auto pilot”. It is nowhere near Level 5.

But it works in planes. Most of the driving is boring (traffic, highways). And this is the problem. Humans easily become overconfident, tired, distracted, etc. They can even become angry. These are all safety risks, which can be eliminated by auto-pilots. You have to accept that you will do “smart driving” parts, but “dumb” driving will be automated and SAFER as a result (maybe even for you). I think this is the right way to look at it.

Reminds me of something that the president of IBM once said long ago.... ""I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

It's a funny story.

It's not an especially accurate one though.

From their history of the company FAQ at IBM.com-

Q. Did Thomas Watson say in the 1950s that he foresaw a market potential for only five
electronic computers?

A. We believe the statement that you attribute to Thomas Watson is a misunderstanding of
remarks made at IBM’s annual stockholders meeting on April 28, 1953. In referring specifically
and only to the IBM 701 Electronic Data Processing Machine -- which had been introduced the
year before as the company’s first production computer designed for scientific calculations --
Thomas Watson, Jr., told stockholders that “IBM had developed a paper plan for such a machine
and took this paper plan across the country to some 20 concerns that we thought could use such a
machine. I would like to tell you that the machine rents for between $12,000 and $18,000 a
month, so it was not the type of thing that could be sold from place to place. But, as a result of
our trip, on which we expected to get orders for five machines, we came home with orders for
18.”

So not only did he not say what people keep claiming he did- his actual conclusion was directly opposite from the apocryphal version- that it turns out the market for computers is much larger than thought.

model 3 or S/X.
My VIN is 1503xx. Means, I may have a Shot at getting it.

After initially confirming my appointment, Tesla then cancelled it:

Hello Sergey, this is Tesla service. I am looking into your upcoming appointment, unfortunately we are unable to perform the HW3 upgrade by request. You will receive a notification once this becomes available for your vehicle.

It appears Tesla will only do that on their own schedule.

After initially confirming my appointment, Tesla then cancelled it:

Hello Sergey, this is Tesla service. I am looking into your upcoming appointment, unfortunately we are unable to perform the HW3 upgrade by request. You will receive a notification once this becomes available for your vehicle.

It appears Tesla will only do that on their own schedule.
Yeah, that seems to be the story the majority of people have reported. I’ll just sit back and wait for now. Maybe I’ll get trash cans and cones for my birthday in April.