Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone with the old windshield washer system changed to the new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with the old wipers that had three spray nozzles for washer fluid successfully changed them out to the new wipers with like six or seven spray nozzles? It looks like it fixes my number one gripe with the wipers about leaving an annoying streak at the middle to top of the windshield.

I have a 2021 Model Y that I picked up in December of 2020 but Tesla seems to have made changes to the wipers around the March 2021 timeframe. I have three washer nozzles and the new ones seem to have three on the arm and two in nozzles that shoot fluid in front of the blade, two nozzles that shoot fluid to the back of the blade and one that shoots down to the middle of the blade.

Has anyone with the old wipers that had three spray nozzles for washer fluid successfully changed them out to the new wipers with like six or seven spray nozzles? It looks like it fixes my number one gripe with the wipers about leaving an annoying streak at the middle to top of the windshield.

I have a 2021 Model Y that I picked up in December of 2020 but Tesla seems to have made changes to the wipers around the March 2021 timeframe. I have three washer nozzles and the new ones seem to have three on the arm and two in nozzles that shoot fluid in front of the blade, two nozzles that shoot fluid to the back of the blade and one that shoots down to the middle of the blade.
Do you know where I could see something that outlines the difference?

Want. I thought there was something wrong with the MY wiper/fluid but have been too lazy to investigate further. Definitely interested in the upgrade or mod if you are able to obtain parts and/or retrofit. Seems like something the Electrified Garage could handle.

Me too. Big time actually. Tesla says there is no approved retrofit right now. :(

Unless they changed the way the wiper arm connects to the car there shouldn’t be an issue. Tesla will always say no to retrofits, it’s not worth their time. Someone will need to find the new part number and just order a set and see if they fit.
Agreed, I think it just means they won’t replace them for you if asked. I don’t know how easy it would be but I do think it is possible. Even in the video they mention they may try to retrofit. So maybe we just need to cajole them to get on it.

I can't imagine they can't just be swapped out. Sprayers are basically just holes in a hose connected to a pump and connected to a reservoir.

unless there's a major geometry chance (which it didn't look like there was), it should be fairly simple
Agree. Even if the wiper arm needs to be replaced because the washer attachment can't be retrofit, the spline shaft and length are most likely the same (no reason to change it).

Are the new wipers like the ones on the X? Those have a special blade and wiper arm with spray/weep points along the blade. They work fantastic and evenly put a lot of liquid on the windshield with little to no overspray, and cleanly take off the liquid.

The downside is you can't buy the blades at your local auto parts store. But, they are relatively cheap (approx $45 installed) at the SC.

Anyone with a recent 2021 Model Y want to see if they can find a part number? All you have to do is login with your normal Tesla account credentials. Should be under electrical.

Anybody with a Tesla account can look up part numbers for any of the vehicles. But the website for the catalog seems to be broken as of this morning, when I tried to log in and look up the part number for the new wipers.

• Informative
Reactions: Mercedes fan
Anybody with a Tesla account can look up part numbers for any of the vehicles. But the website for the catalog seems to be broken as of this morning, when I tried to log in and look up the part number for the new wipers.

That part, I know. My thought is that the part # is going to be different since it's VIN specific, or so I thought. I don't have the new setup so I won't have the part number for the new wipers.

2MY ARM&BLADE ASSY DR LHD1490245-00-COver-the-Counter(No VIN)11
3MY ARM&BLADE ASSY PS LHD1490248-00-COver-the-Counter(No VIN)11

Thats for mine (see signature for details, but 2021 with multiple nozzles)

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Same for me, recently delivered 2022 with wiper heaters.
1644967783660.png

I see the same info when I go into the Model Y section, and I don't even have a Model Y. Everybody sees the same info, it's not VIN-specific. I was more interested in whether I could put the driver side wiper arm on my early 2018 Model 3. But it looks like Model 3 and Model Y have different wipers because the parts numbers are different and the jointed part seems to be longer on the Model 3. But since the catalog only shows one part number for the Model Y, that means that most likely the parts are interchangeable on Model 3. Otherwise you would see two lines of #2 or #3 with different part numbers and slightly different description. Only way to know for sure is for somebody to order part # 1490245-00-C from Tesla and try to put it on their older Model Y. And then let everybody else know :)

I see the same info when I go into the Model Y section, and I don't even have a Model Y. Everybody sees the same info, it's not VIN-specific. I was more interested in whether I could put the driver side wiper arm on my early 2018 Model 3. But it looks like Model 3 and Model Y have different wipers because the parts numbers are different and the jointed part seems to be longer on the Model 3. But since the catalog only shows one part number for the Model Y, that means that most likely the parts are interchangeable on Model 3. Otherwise you would see two lines of #2 or #3 with different part numbers and slightly different description. Only way to know for sure is for somebody to order part # 1490245-00-C from Tesla and try to put it on their older Model Y. And then let everybody else know :)
Seeing as how you are in the Model Y forum, you will get answers pertaining to Model Y since most of us don’t own M3. You should ask this question in the M3 forum.

Or, remove your driver side wiper arm and find a MY and lay yours over the top to see if it is the same size. As the windshields are different sizes I would imagine the dimensions and design are different or they would be the same part number. No reason for Tesla to have two different parts if they work interchangeably. Just looking at the drawings in the catalog they are definitely shaped differently. MY appears longer to account for taller windshield (look at the right blade tip relative to the arm and hinge). MY also appears flatter whereas the M3 appears to surge away from the windshield at the spline (probably to clear part of the mechanism).

M3
1645033419227.png

MY
1645033363361.png

I think your best bet is to buy a MY wiper arm, then disassemble the middle spray nozzle and attach it to your M3 wiper arm, cutting the tubing to fit in between.