Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone with the old windshield washer system changed to the new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing as how you are in the Model Y forum, you will get answers pertaining to Model Y since most of us don’t own M3. You should ask this question in the M3 forum.

Or, remove your driver side wiper arm and find a MY and lay yours over the top to see if it is the same size. As the windshields are different sizes I would imagine the dimensions and design are different or they would be the same part number. No reason for Tesla to have two different parts if they work interchangeably. Just looking at the drawings in the catalog they are definitely shaped differently. MY appears longer to account for taller windshield (look at the right blade tip relative to the arm and hinge). MY also appears flatter whereas the M3 appears to surge away from the windshield at the spline (probably to clear part of the mechanism).

M3
View attachment 769831

MY
View attachment 769830

I think your best bet is to buy a MY wiper arm, then disassemble the middle spray nozzle and attach it to your M3 wiper arm, cutting the tubing to fit in between.
I'm not asking about my Model 3. I'm asking somebody to try it on their older Model Y because I'm also interested in Model Y. If I figured there was a chance of the Model Y wiper arm working on my Model 3 I would order it myself and try it.

I see the same info when I go into the Model Y section, and I don't even have a Model Y. Everybody sees the same info, it's not VIN-specific. I was more interested in whether I could put the driver side wiper arm on my early 2018 Model 3. But it looks like Model 3 and Model Y have different wipers because the parts numbers are different and the jointed part seems to be longer on the Model 3. But since the catalog only shows one part number for the Model Y, that means that most likely the parts are interchangeable on Model 3. Otherwise you would see two lines of #2 or #3 with different part numbers and slightly different description. Only way to know for sure is for somebody to order part # 1490245-00-C from Tesla and try to put it on their older Model Y. And then let everybody else know :)
Did you mean to say “that means that most likely the parts are interchangeable on Model Y”? Because you said 3 in your quote which is what I was replying to. Apologize if you meant Y. There’s no doubt they are interchangeable on Model Y. Like you say, if they weren’t then there’d be multiple revisions listed. There’s no risk there. They haven’t changed the design of the arm, just the spray system. But I don’t know when they changed over. Wife’s April 2021 SR Y has the extra nozzle.

Did you mean to say “that means that most likely the parts are interchangeable on Model Y”? Because you said 3 in your quote which is what I was replying to. Apologize if you meant Y. There’s no doubt they are interchangeable on Model Y. Like you say, if they weren’t then there’d be multiple revisions listed. There’s no risk there. They haven’t changed the design of the arm, just the spray system. But I don’t know when they changed over. Wife’s April 2021 SR Y has the extra nozzle.
You are right, I meant to say Y instead of 3 when I mentioned interchangeable. If I had an older Y, I would purchase the new wiper arm kit for the driver side and swap it out. I like working on things in my car.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Same for me, recently delivered 2022 with wiper heaters.
View attachment 769512
Wiper heaters?? I assume that is something in the windshield?

I will say that putting the wipers in "service mode" or whatever when parked has helped as they are heated by defrost mode. Not as good as the new feature I'm sure but much much better than having all the water melt off of the windscreen and then freeze onto the wipers making them a solid ice block.

Also, once the new part is identified can it just be ordered directly from Tesla? Or do you need to register as a garage?

Tesla Model Y Front Left Wiper Arm with Blade 2020-2021 1490246-00-B This one is offered for $140.

I will say that putting the wipers in "service mode" or whatever when parked has helped as they are heated by defrost mode. Not as good as the new feature I'm sure but much much better than having all the water melt off of the windscreen and then freeze onto the wipers making them a solid ice block.

Also, once the new part is identified can it just be ordered directly from Tesla? Or do you need to register as a garage?

Tesla Model Y Front Left Wiper Arm with Blade 2020-2021 1490246-00-B This one is offered for $140.

Yeah. The bottom part of the wipers where the wipers sit is now heated. As for the wiper, still trying to figure that out because I think it will need a connection to the new sprayers as well. Should just be able to order from Tesla, I think.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC

Around March-ish of last year.

Reactions: Mrbrock

Are you referring to the wiper as the new part or the heater? I think you can just order the wiper arm through your local service center. You have to go in to pick up, the ones around here won’t mail anything. EPC says no vin required so I think anybody can order.

For the heater, I think it’s a resistive strip under the bottom of the windshield. Don’t think there’s an easy way to retrofit since the wiring harness for the whole windshield is different. And you’d likely have to remove the windshield to do this.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Are you referring to the wiper as the new part or the heater? I think you can just order the wiper arm through your local service center. You have to go in to pick up, the ones around here won’t mail anything. EPC says no vin required so I think anybody can order.
I was able to go in and find itl, but I couldn't find a way to add them to my cart or see the price. It could have just been my browser but is that usually how you see how much items cost?

The new washers suck so bad I get irate! They leave blue crap fluid streaks across the entire car! No exaggeration, i have pictures of it on both side doors, rear hatch, and rear fender. You know those chemicals are bad for the paint, you pay $60 for a hand wash, get a dirty windshield (Coastal living does this fast) and now you can't run them because don't want the car covered in blue pin stripes. Anyone have help or suggestions?

The new washers suck so bad I get irate! They leave blue crap fluid streaks across the entire car! No exaggeration, i have pictures of it on both side doors, rear hatch, and rear fender. You know those chemicals are bad for the paint, you pay $60 for a hand wash, get a dirty windshield (Coastal living does this fast) and now you can't run them because don't want the car covered in blue pin stripes. Anyone have help or suggestions?
You know you can use any wash fluid you want, right?

BMW factory fluid has an extremely strong smell and is completely clear.

My 2018 Model 3 got washer fluid everywhere, it's nothing new. The windshield doesn't have channels on the side to catch it and divert the fluid over the roof. Better aerodynamics, at the cost of getting windshield washer fluid in the cabin when the window is open.

My suggestion is not to pay $60 for a hand wash. ;)

Reactions: buckets0fun
My 2018 Model 3 got washer fluid everywhere, it's nothing new. The windshield doesn't have channels on the side to catch it and divert the fluid over the roof. Better aerodynamics, at the cost of getting windshield washer fluid in the cabin when the window is open.

My suggestion is not to pay $60 for a hand wash. ;)
Who the heck pays $60 to have someone wash their car?

Yeesh.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I honestly just use DI water in my washer. It also doesn't freeze where I live either though.

DI won't hurt your paint, won't leave water spots. May not clean as well, but it does good enough!

You can do this but it's not a very good idea.

If for any reason the car ends up in freezing conditions you will be potentially replacing multiple parts.

Also, when you sell the car eventually will you drain/purge the system in the event the car ends up in one of the 2/3 part of the country with freezing temps?

It’s not the washers. Just the fluid. The better question is why Tesla uses bright blue fluid that leaves residue.

Is there an easy way to drain the fluid?

I was just about to say $60 for a good hand wash is a deal!
If you mean job instead of wash then maybe that’s not a bad deal…