Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone won a Model S/X? (None YouTube Stars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have missed this in other threads but do we know of any real people that have won a loaded Model S/X through the referral program. Particularly the random drawing winners which i assume are at the end of each round. There should be about 6 of them out there by now... I've never seen an announcement and has me wondering the legitimacy of such claims.

In Norway, Tesla Bjorn. There was a Chinese guy who won in the Asia same round, a guy who works hard to promote EVs and in Canada the guy who writes the EV and More blog won.

After that round, Bjorn won another one or two Model Ses, no word in other parts of the world.

I seem to recall hearing about someone in the US winning one but refusing delivery due to not being able to pay the taxes. I could be misremembering that though.

How did win those? Are you sure about that? After the first referral round, it was just random drawings, you can't be serious that he won two more in addition to the Model X Founders in the random drawings.
Actually, the first 2 rounds weren't random. Come to think of it, the guy from Quebec like Bjorn, won the first 2 rounds. The Quebec guy is a member of this forum as well. IIRC they had similar strategies.
Bjørn Nyland Wins Second Tesla Referral Contest

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Nice. So each round is a global drawing? Is there a drawing for each referral round or some other frequency?
They divide each contest by regions. 1 winner in North America, 1 in Asia, and 1 in Europe.

1 drawing per referral round.

I don't know why there's no announcements about winners. Privacy issues? As I said earlier, I've read rumours that winners have refused the Tesla due to tax issues.

IRS ramifications aside, depending on the State, you'd have to be able to cover sales tax before you could title & sell it... So, like $14k up front.
Yeah but these are existing owners that already bought a 70k-130k car. You'd think they could swing it. Even of a temporary position. Maybe there is a clause that you cant sell the vehicle for a period of time.

I still find the lack of discussion about winning loaded cars odd.

IRS ramifications aside, depending on the State, you'd have to be able to cover sales tax before you could title & sell it... So, like $14k up front.

You could be looking at $70,000 in taxes in the US. Federal: 35% of $150,000 = $52,500 + State $150,000 @ 8% = $12,000 + Registration. In some counties there is no tax where others it can be over 50%